Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 My Bighorn sheep mount! (pics) >

My Bighorn sheep mount! (pics)

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

My Bighorn sheep mount! (pics)

Old 11-21-2005, 08:53 AM

Default RE: My Bighorn sheep mount! (pics)

We're not worthy!

Only one problem I see......its not full body mount. [8D]
Old 11-21-2005, 09:36 AM

DOUBLE-LUNG, I live in Calgary, Alberta, and took him in Kananaskis country.. Thats all im saying.. It was the hunt of a lifetime to bag a trophy ram like this, i worked quite a few years to get one like this...

im now kicking myself for not getting a full body mount, but i think he will do just finethe way he is...

cheers!

Sako7mm
Old 11-21-2005, 09:39 AM

I hope you realize that I was joking. It is a tremendous trophy and I would be dancing a jig to be as lucky as you.
Old 11-21-2005, 04:20 PM

ShatoDavis, of course i realize you were joking.. no worries.... So was i when i said i think h'ell do just fine the way he is.

The only reason i amupset now that i didnt get a full body mount,is because he was such a massive and gorgeousanimal. He must have weighed well over 320 pounds, and was beautiful with his colour and such. HisNuts weighed 10 pounds and couldhave filled an icecream bucket too!! they were massive...He would have looked ominous in a full body mount due to his size and beauty.. he was truly an awesome animal... and i will enjoy thebeautiful mount for many years to come!

Hopefully a bigger one next year!

Heres a pic to give you an idea of body size and look...
Old 11-22-2005, 11:53 AM
Typical Buck

Right on Sako,

I take it this was last year or you have the worlds fastest taxidermist. I live in bc but my younger bro took his first bighorn down in the crowsnest last month. Scored about 175, I'm so jealous.
Happy hunting

Old 11-22-2005, 02:12 PM

Sako,

that is great man! I don't know how much a full body mount costs. If, or should I say when, I'm as lucky as you I hope that I can swing it. I've seen a couple of full mounts on dall and big horn and they are awe inspiring. Congratulations again on a awesome trophy. I can only imagine the memories that must flood your mind when you see those massive horns on your wall.
Old 11-22-2005, 04:53 PM

tangozulu, yesit was last years ram. lol. Congrats to your bro.. 175 is a VERY NICE RAM.. got any pics?? I got out this year quite a bit in the same spot with my buddy who has a tag and saw alot of sheep, but nothing we wanted. Set the bar kind of high last year id say. the most exciting points of my season went something like this....

The hunts where i came closest to success...One hunt near the end of the season, Saw a ram to dream about through the spotting scope about 3 miles away , but it was too dark to go after him, plus needed a howitzer to get to him. There were 2 younger rams with him. My buddy and I went up a creek draw the next day towards the mountain where he was when i spotted him. No trail, never bin up before, but went anyway. 3 hours in of bushwacking, we come up on a waterfall blocking the trail, 50 foot cliffs surrounding us on both sides the whole way in, so no way to get aroun. just alot of foul language and a bust of a day. Oh well, every day cant be perfect. We were only like 1 km from where the sheep were the other day too. And of course, on the drive home, we see possibly the same 3 sheep up on ridge feeding, possibly that huge ram we were after. Very dissapointing. He was well over full curl from what we could see. Last day of the season i went out and the wind was blowing around 120 km, could barely stand up on top at times. Snowing heavy, so sure as hell felt like winter. I put a stalk on a band of 14 rams, and got within about 200 yards of them after about 3 hours, and passed up the biggest 2. They were heavy fairly mature rams with nice bases, but no length to them. One was probably half an inch over legal, but not what i was looking for after our ram last year.... so started out hiking 2 hours before daylight and got back to the truck about 2 hours after daylight.
Great hunt all in all, and next year, 3 of those rams will be shooters for sure, not to even mention the one we saw through the spotting scope.

All in all, great season, and certainly not boring, and i love this new spot i found acouple years ago! Next year has high hopes..

shatodavis, i know that the taxidermist that did my sheepcharges around 3,000 $ for a full body mount, but it would definately be all worth it for a huge trophy of a lifetime... Every time i look at the mount when im watching t.v, i cant really look away.. That sure was a hunt to remember, and ill never forget it as long as i live... I must have replayed every second i can remember in my head every day since the hunt, and whenever i look at the mount on the wall, it brings back everything that happened..

Hopefully, now with all the knowledge my partner and i have gained, we will be able to strike success on another big ram in the upcoming seasons...

cheers!

Sako7mm
Old 11-22-2005, 10:35 PM
Typical Buck

Hey Sako,

Have a few pics but are rather large to post, will see what i can do with a pm in the next few days. By the way I'm an old Kananaskis boy, (before it was a park) born and raised in Bragg creek when there was just cattle ranches there. I moved north and took some dalls and stones but wish to head south for a bighorn before I get too old.

thanks for sharing

Old 11-23-2005, 10:10 AM

Hey tangolzulu,

yeah try and pm me the pics if u have time, no worries though, i always love to seerams taken from this area... thats really cool you grew inthe kananaskis bragg creek area. I hope to hunt dalls and stones some day soon, and hopefully will arrange it... yes, I highly recommend comin back down here to hunt a bighorn, its truly an awesome experience..

Take care man!

Sako7mm
Old 12-01-2005, 02:30 PM

looks damn nice

Quick Reply: My Bighorn sheep mount! (pics)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.