Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Feces

Old 11-20-2005, 09:57 AM

Default Feces

I posted this in another part of this message board but I just wanted to make sure I've got all areas covered. I'm located in Lethbridge, Alberta (Canada) and I found some odd loooking feces in my backyard yesterday and I was hoping maybe if I posted a picture of it, someone may be able to identify it. It looks like it has berries in it as well it's dark - possibly blood included in it. I live on the edge of a cliff basically so lots of wildlife comes by.
If anyone would be able to help me identify this, I would be grateful. Two of my cats were attacked last night and I'm just wondering if the feces might be able to help me identify what attacked my cats.

Here's a link: http://www.geocities.com/jrenter3312/DSC04752.JPG
Old 11-20-2005, 10:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Feces

Couldn't get the pic to come up. Its not a crappy picture is it????
Old 11-20-2005, 11:52 AM

Really...try one of these then:

http://putfile.com/pic.php?pic=11/32312515677.jpg&s=x12
http://www.geocities.com/jrenter3312/DSC04752.JPG
Old 11-20-2005, 01:59 PM

kind of looks like a bear but its hard to tell w/ out a scale. How big is it?
Old 11-20-2005, 02:12 PM
Typical Buck

Yup looks like bear from the roundness and sizeof it.
Old 11-20-2005, 02:39 PM

Really. Cana bearclimb a fence though? Or do they just climb trees and then jump down? It wouldn't be a coyote or fox or bobcat would it?
Old 11-20-2005, 02:58 PM

The first one that came to my mind was coyote poop.

But it could be a bear poop.
Old 11-20-2005, 03:09 PM

I would vote coyote. They are notorious for eating cats as well.
Old 11-20-2005, 03:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

You can use the leaves for scale. It looks a little small forbear. I guess it's possible that it may be a small cub. Yes bears can climb fences.

I'm going to have to vote for coyote/fox just based on statistical probabilities. I'll look at some field manuals and see if anything else makes sense.

A picture including some scale like aruler or something would help me narrow it down alot.

Here is a picture of some fox scat with berries in it:

Old 11-20-2005, 05:31 PM

I don't think it would be a bear, but I'm definitely leaning towardsa coyote or fox. I tried to go outside to take a picture witha ruler but it's getting dark out so the quality of the picture wasn't very good. I was looking on google.com and found some fox feces that look very similiar to what's in my backyard. Although, I was looking up coyote diet's and it says "their diet may include wild and domestic fruit and other plant foods". I also found "Coyote scat are difficult to recognize from fox scat. Coyote can be distinguished primarily by their size - those 3/4" or more and greater than 4" are probably coyote. " and the stuff we found in the backyard is smaller than 3/4".

Quick Reply: Feces

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.