Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Hunting shows are unrealistic >

Hunting shows are unrealistic

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Hunting shows are unrealistic

Old 11-19-2005, 10:41 AM
Spike

Default Hunting shows are unrealistic

It seems to me that most, if not all, of the hunting shows are unrealistic. As the statistics show, a good unit has a success rate of about 10-14 percent, for elk that is. Which means that over 80 percent of the hunters go home unsuccessful. The hunting shows make it seem like everyone gets an animal. Of course Zumbo and such are all hunting private ground, with guides, and a motivated host! After all, no kill translates to no show, which will not generate any advertisment for the the ranch. That is really all fine with me, but the truth is, the vast majority of us will never do a hunt like that. My question to this forum is: Should the hunting shows try to be a bit more real/honest about elk hunting, the type of hunting that the show watchers really get to do?
Old 11-19-2005, 11:09 AM

Default RE: Hunting shows are unrealistic

I think some shows are better than others. I remember seeing one where a guy missed two bulls and then shot a third in the same morning. That doesn't happen too often on public ground thats for sure.
Old 11-19-2005, 02:12 PM
Typical Buck

Take it for what it is....A SHOW. It's entertainment and nothing more just like everything else you watch on the tube.
Most everything on the tube is staged for your entertainment so you will watch and listen to their commercials why do you think hunting shows should bedifferent?
If you prefer to be an armchair hunter then you will bag an animal almost every show.
Old 11-19-2005, 05:51 PM

They exist to sell hunting products, clubs, or magazines. They wouldn't sellmuch if there weren't much action. As long as you know that when you watch, they're OK.Who would tune into watch a guy hunt for four days and come up with nothing?

If I ever go with an outfitter, I hope I don't book the week before a TV filming, because they aren't going to take me to their honey holes.They'll be saving them for Zumbo or Warren.
Old 11-19-2005, 07:17 PM

The Eastman's Hunting Journal show is a great show. They hunt HARD on public land (mostly) and do it themselves. You could learn a lot from these guys if you paid attention. I also like Jim Shockey's shows as they are different.

There are only so many times I can watch some lard ass (or in Ted Nugent's case nutcase) on a fourwheeler putt putt over to a stree stand, and stick some poor deer living behind a high fence that has been eating corn out of a feeder all summer long.

I would prefer to see some shows where they actually teach guys how to do things. You know, go over hunting gear (not just the lastest gadget), but real stuff like how to set up a tent so it won't get blown over. Sleeping bags, etc.

Show guys how to stalk a deer out west, read a map, etc.

Of course then the big sponsors would drop out and we would have much fewer shows.
Old 11-19-2005, 07:56 PM
Spike

Montana Bob: Of course it is a show, the question is should there be a show that is more reflective of what the average hunter actually hunts. I understand that the shows are plain crap, just as I realize Zumbo isn"t able to hunt the physically demanding hunts that he was able to hunt many years ago. That doesn"t change the perception that the hunts are canned hunts, and nothing like what we really see. What I want to know is do the shows have any obligation to be realistic, to be honest about what hunting is reallylike for the average person?
Old 11-19-2005, 08:08 PM

I agree, take them for what they are. Entertainment! I had the outdoor channel and after about 7 months of bubba and the boys with 10 minutes of hunting and 20 minutes of advertising, I cancled the programming. To many staged shots(Dave Watson), to many cough silencers,to many people with no public speaking ability,to much emphasis on the kill and a trophy class animal.
Old 11-19-2005, 08:53 PM
Fork Horn

Hell guys.

I have seen in some of the shows. That they screw up and get the gate to the pen in the clips on the shows.

I do believe that MONEY TALKS.

It is all about the MONEY. Not what is realistic anymore. Believe none of what you hear and half of what you see.

hunter338
Old 11-19-2005, 09:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Advertisement is what pays to to produce the films. With the high end companies set aside, smaller budget films cannot be produced without the support of advertisers. I happen to know several individuals who produce hunting videos. I also know that these individuals eat breath and sleep hunting and hunt almost exclusively on public land. The recorders get packed over many many miles to acheive the footage that they acheive. Sponsors and advertisement is what puts their videos into circulation as they do not have the capital to support video production. These individuals in which I speak have had many showings on the outdoor channel, and the hunts look just like those produced by larger companies, showing advertisements betweem segments and lots of action. These guys are some of the hardest hunting, most dedicated people I have ever known. Stereotyping has injured many people along their struggles for success in every aspect of life. I am not pointing fingers at anyone here nor am I not trying to start anything. I just wish that everyone including myself would be more careful when it comes to lumping given people into categories. It is no different than grouping all archers into the same category as the ones that shot a ladies dog recently. I do not favor canned or fenced hunts or would I ever suport them, but outside of the obvious videos with the fence in the background, we should not be so quick to judge. These tv shows help drive the interest of hunting and also the industry that promotes strength against those trying to put an end to our heritage. These types of hunts are acheivable to all including public land hunts. These guys, though not idolized by me, have given me the inspiration that I needed to go out and witness the beauties of nature and the excitement of the adventure. Even the guys that I don't endorse, have earned their way into the hunting world, and the spotlight of television. Sponsors and supporters usually won't pick their guy from a group of average hunters to promote their product. They want someone who is going to prove that their product works, one who has shown time and time again, that they have what it takes.
Old 11-19-2005, 11:19 PM

I don't think that they are always hunting private land with great guides, I'm sure they just don't show the films where there isn't a lot of action. As they shouldn't. Would you watch them for a full day just walking around seeing no animals?

Quick Reply: Hunting shows are unrealistic

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.