Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Montana FWP Region 2 Info? >

Montana FWP Region 2 Info?

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Montana FWP Region 2 Info?

Old 11-01-2005, 11:29 AM
Spike

Default Montana FWP Region 2 Info?

I'm going to be out in region 2 in about a week for elk and deer, specifically in the Bitterroot National Forest. I'm looking for some up to date information. How's the weather been and what's expected, how's the game population, etc. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Old 11-02-2005, 07:19 PM

Default RE: Montana FWP Region 2 Info?

For game and regulation info head to the montan fwp site at http://fwp.state.mt.us and for weather check the national weather service site at http://www.nws.noaa.gov they are both good sites with a lot of info. I hunt in the pioneers and as of last weekend we had no snow but i think thats gonna change this week. Good luck
Old 11-03-2005, 05:20 AM
Typical Buck

Finally got a little snow last night, most snow this season. It won't stay for long.
Darby check station is really slow on cow Elk less than 10% of quota.
The bucks haven't started to move but they should any day as the rut is getting near.
Mulie has been out almost every day and hasn't seen that trophy Mule deer yet and as got into very few Elk mainly cows.
It's 5:15 am and we are heading out this morning for another try.Maybe the light snow will get them moving as it's been pretty warm for this time of year.
I would say so far this is a below average year so far as the hunting goes.
Old 11-03-2005, 06:08 PM
Typical Buck

Got back around Noon today (11-03) Saw no Elk but did see a bunch of Muley bucks, all at 5600' and below. They are getting rutty, necks are swollen and bucks are checkin.
At the Darby check station looks like almost 4000 trips with around 360 animals. Not good. Most rides have 2 or 3 guys in them so percentage is down as well as the cow quota. 270 and 250 total cow quota 400. They have less than 30.
Suppose to snow again over the next few days lets see if it gets them moving.
This old Buck is a 3x4 but with over 30' spread and was probably nice in his day.
[/url]