HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Big Game Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting-6/)
-   -   Any Big Game Experience with Tikka Rifles? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting/118896-any-big-game-experience-tikka-rifles.html)

Hemi 10-30-2005 10:39 AM

Any Big Game Experience with Tikka Rifles?

Just curious to know if anyone on here is using a Tikka rifle on their big game hunts this year? If so, Are they durable? light enough? Accurate? etc. Am thinking about picking a Tikka T3 Lite Stainless up in .338 Win Mag.

Thanks!

stubblejumper 10-30-2005 10:48 AM

RE: Any Big Game Experience with Tikka Rifles?

One of my partners used his stainlesst-3 in 25-06 for the first time this year.It shoots several loads under 1" and handles very well.They are very light and in 338 recoil could be substancial.

Hemi 10-30-2005 10:53 AM

Thanks stubble!

sounds like a good report... as for the recoil im not too sensitive!! lol
too many years of rodeo bulls stomping on me! ;)

tangozulu 10-30-2005 11:00 AM

hi Hemi,

I was slobering over my buddies T-3 in 3006 a while back and really want one. He said after shootin it a bit he was gettin hit really hard due to the fact that the stock was too straight. I undderstand that there is an upgrade to the stock that is a good idea. 338 would be painful in the std version.

ShatoDavis 10-31-2005 09:14 AM

Tikka is a good weapon.
Straight stocks are actually better for recoil IMHO. The problem is the weight. They are extremely light.

stubblejumper 10-31-2005 09:19 AM

Straight stocks are actually better for recoil IMHO. The problem is the weight. They are extremely light.
I agree 100%.

tangozulu 10-31-2005 06:19 PM

thats the way i hear it too, interestingly he has no problem shootin my old win featherwight in 3006. It is less than 7 lbs
In.338, a nine lb rugeris as light as i want to go

mustad 11-03-2005 05:28 AM

Hi Hemi,

I have a T3 light synthetic/blue chambered in 30-06. Went to northern Quebec for Caribou hunting back in September, and it worked flawlessly harvesting my two caribou (75 yard shot and 225 yard shot; both single shot kills). I also used this rifle Moose hunting last month.

With regards to your three points, I think you are looking in the right direction. This rifle is very durable, very light and is shoots very accurately (don't forget that part of the QA process is firing three rounds inside an inch at 100 yards). As others have noted, there may be a recoil issue. I also have an A-bolt in 30-06 and can feel a difference in recoil between the two rifles (T3 having a bit more).

Good luck

buck knife 11-03-2005 09:10 AM

Just and FYI, but a while back a guy told me that if you have a synthetic stock and the recoil is too much for you, you can fill it with spary foam. I wouldn't imainge that it would add much weight, but would probably dampen the recoil a little. I have never done this so I don't know if it would throw off the balance or accuracy of the gun. Just thought I would mention it.

FL/GA Hunter 11-03-2005 03:55 PM

I've got the T-3 in .300 Win Mag - it'sa great gun, shoots awesome groups, and isn't much to carry around the woods. Personally, I've never shot a different gun in .300 Win Mag, so I can't compare it to anything, but it wasn't too bad. *shrug*

Only used it on one doe, but boy did it do the job. ;) It's waiting patiently for that elk hunt in a year or so...

Hemi 11-03-2005 08:23 PM

Thanks for all the replies guys! I happened to meet a guy with a T3 Lite in .300 win mag and put some rounds through it this week! Im impressed with it! Light,the action is smooth etc... and it drives tacks with factory the factory load we were using. Recoil was not an issue. Not even close to my .338 win I shoot now so I dont see the T3 beating me up too bad. Looks like for the money the Tikkas are a bargain.:D