Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Best Elk Broadhead

Old 12-11-2005, 04:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Best Elk Broadhead

I have heard good things about the blazers and know several people who shoot them. If you are looking at a blade with 3 blades that is cut on contact, I would look at the razorcpas. I took several animals with them this year. One of which was a whitetail in Nebraska that went clear through the spine and 4 inches into the cavity. I blew clean through bear and elk without slowing down. I know that I will be shooting the same heads this year.
Old 12-11-2005, 10:21 PM
Typical Buck

Elkcrazy8--As I wrote in my earlier post, the Razorcap is a great head to consider!! I packed out a bull this year with a good friend of mine and my son, the friend had taken a 5-point with the Razorcaps, I'll say that's one tough head!!

I'm considering shooting one this year to see what I think of them? You got a used one you want to let go of?? Of course my bow will probably sling it a little on the slow side, but that's OK!!!! <grin>---ElkNut1
Old 12-12-2005, 04:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Paul, I don't think getting rid of one would set me back too far if you want to see how they shoot. The head that went through the spine was pretty much in brand new shape, Just a slight bend over on the tip(very little) and the blades were not even distorted. I was really impressed. They are very easy to resharpen after practicing also. Not that they really need it but I do anyway.
Old 12-13-2005, 08:15 AM

I bet there are dozens out there that will work fine, Killing Elk with a expandable and slick tricks as I did..You guessed it, it's where you shoot them that counts. U could argue whats better penetrating when u don''t make a good shot but lets not go there. just use one that flies good and you can hit what u aim at. IMHO
Old 12-13-2005, 05:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Expandables for large game would not be my recommendation. Shot placement is always the utmost whatever situation that may arise. However it is nice to have some extra insurance in case a situation arises beyond what you have planned. I always look for a head with as close to a 1-3 ratio as I can get for both penetration and flight characteristics. I also look for a cut on contact style, and have recently gone with a 3 blade design to create an extra wound channel for better blood trails. Over a 2 year period I took 9 animals with a 2 blade and the blood trails were less than suficient as far as I am concerned. All animals were recovered with some effort. This year on all 4 animals that I took with the 3 blade COC, I had blood trails that blind man could follow with pass throughs on all but one in Nebraska in which I center punched the spine, that head passed through the spine and went 4-5 inches into the cavity. I also like to shoot around 250-260 fps for optimum flight. At these speeds I can get the pinpoint accuracy that I get with my tartget bow. I am not one to accept close enough. Kraton brings up a good point though, as shot placement is always key to good success no matter what head is used. I like to use every advantage that I can get............. Also, be careful in hunting some of the western stateslike Idaho, in some expandables are outlawed.
Old 12-13-2005, 06:55 PM
Fork Horn

uhmm, one with a spear point design with rearward body probably in a point two-seven-zero caliber available in a one hundred and fifty grain category.