Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Best Elk Broadhead

Old 11-12-2005, 02:34 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Best Elk Broadhead

Most everything out there is really wicked and will kill what they hit. I use the 125 gr Thunderheads because they hit exactly where my 125 gr field tips hit. I've killed elk, deer, and bear and they always have held up. Seems most my buddies use them also and for the same reasons.
Old 11-12-2005, 02:50 PM

ORIGINAL: BareBack Jack

Magnus Stingers 85 or 100 gr,they work great.
Yes sir, they work great. thats what i use.
Old 11-13-2005, 05:15 PM

Thunderhead 125gr. My friend use the Muzzy 125gr. They both seem to be equal on penetration, flight, and durability.
Old 11-23-2005, 12:02 AM

silverflames come out of the box stupid sharp
Old 11-24-2005, 03:02 AM

I'll start off by saying; Ive never killed an elk with my bow, as a matter of fact, Ive never killed anything bigger than a 150# Whitetail with my bow. So, with that said...

I shot MagnusII2 Blades (125gr.) this year out of both my compound and recurve, and I dont think Ill ever shoot anything else. Both deer I killed (Yes, I realize a whitetail is a far cry from a 800 pound bull elk) were dead in less than 80 yards, my last one in less than 50. The Magnus completely blew through my last deer, with a quartering away shot, shooting "only" a 46# recurve. He didnt bleed well because of the high exit wound, but the doe before him (Double lung shot / 52# Compound) left a blood trail a blind man could have followed. Anyway, both broadheads are in perfect condition (Still Shave Hair!) after the shots.

Oh, I had to start shooting a single broadhead at a time with both bows, because I was tearing off too many feathers and spliting too many nocks...on my field point arrows. So yes, they hit right with (orjust plain "hit") your field tips.

The Stingers would prolly fly better from a high speed set-up, and if you're wanting a three blade, check out the Snuffers.

Hope I could help...just my two cents...

Old 11-29-2005, 09:20 PM

Thunderhead 125gr. My partner likes the Thunderhead 100gr. We both get pass throughs and good blood trails. They have never let us down.

Dsquared
Old 11-29-2005, 09:47 PM
Typical Buck

The best broadhead for Elk sized animals is a Cut on Contact head, bar none!! Sure many fixed blade heads have harvested elk, but "COC" are best when you hit undesireable areas, and it does happen.

The ones that are best in the "COC" world are ones that will penetrate the scapula of an elk & reach the lungs!!! This is one of the biggest reasons for unrecovered elk, lack of penetration in areas such as this!!!

Don't be a recipient of this to find out the hard way!!

If you shoot an un-godly amount of KE, (kinetic energy) you can blast through the scapula with the better fixed blades. If you don't, look at Magnus heads, Silver Flames, Razorcaps, Swickeys & the like. You won't be sorry on those marginal hits!!

Not promoting bad hits, but am promoting heads that will get the job done!!!----------------------------------------ElkNut1
Old 12-01-2005, 10:12 PM

Not to infringe on the broadhead topic - just trying to get the whole scoop, but what kind of fletching is being used to obtain the tight groups being mentioned? It appears that everyone is promoting the COC or at least fixed blades, which generally seem to increase the potential for flight problems-especially with winds etc in Elk country. I was considering trying helical vanes and maybe the nap QuikSpins. Worth the effort?
Old 12-02-2005, 12:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Bear Claw, as long as your bow is in perfect tune youcan use a strait fletch with zero offset and your arrow with broadhead will fly strait. With that said this past year I did use the quickspins, with a one degree offset. When I use different vanes like the blazer, duravanes and others I use a strait fletch with a five degree offset. I like the quickspins because it does help shrink my groups, but the down side is they are a bit more noisey. Now about the wind, well no fletching will help your arrow overcome/beat the wind. If the wind is blowing it can and will blow your arrow off course. How much willdepend on how far the distance is to the targetand howhard the wind is blowing. Plus arrow weight and speed factor in as well. Like a bullet a heavy arrow will not be affected as much as a lighter arrow in the wind. With elk hunting I would have to be hunting in hurricane winds before I was worried about my arrow getting blown around. The reason why is because my shotshave beenand will continue to be close and my target/vital zoneis big. On the other hand with muleys and antelope the shots can be longer andthe vital zones small. The wind can play havoc wtih accuracy, so shooting in strong winds with the quick spins or helical fletchingyou could have a tigher group but youmightnot have a clue on where that group will hit until after the first shot is taken. I will not shoot over 40-45yards at any animal, and if the wind is bad I will choose to get closer.
Old 12-10-2005, 10:11 PM

I like those Silver Flames but WOW. $20 a head. Man can you get them any cheaper somewhere? The Zwicker's look good too but I need a screw-on head. Have anyone of you tried the NAP Razorbaks. I definately plan on moving to a COC head but don't know if I can get the damage I want with a 2 blade. May go with a 4 blade or one that has bleeders. thanks again for all the replies. Cravingame

Also hasanyone had any bad experiences with the new Blazer fletchings? May go with them as well, next year.

Quick Reply: Best Elk Broadhead

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.