HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Big Game Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting-6/)
-   -   Mountain Goat Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting/115011-mountain-goat-hunting.html)

Alsatian 09-30-2005 10:28 PM

Mountain Goat Hunting

Ballpark, what does a guided Mountain Goat hunt cost? How long is the typical hunt? What is the story on obtaining permit -- a quota based drawing system in most states? What state has the best odds? I have read that Mountain Goat does not make a very desirable trophy, but I think they look really neat myself and I think I would enjoy hunting them. What about the meat? I recall what I have read did not indicate that they were very tastey. Any comments?

Colorado Bob 10-01-2005 09:57 AM

RE: Mountain Goat Hunting

It's a DIY hunt here in Colorado. Start applying for the tag. Try unit G13. Several NR tags in that unit. The hunt itself is pretty strenuous & you better not have vertigo. The meat is pretty tuff----made most of mine into hamburger & used it in chili.
I got my billy in 2000.

ShatoDavis 10-03-2005 10:35 AM

Ballpark, $6000-10,000. Depending on the guide/area/number of days you pick. Best state would be Alaska if you want to stay in the us. I would opt of British Columbia myself. Lower 48 I would look into Idaho or Montana up near the BC line.

As far as the trophy question. I think that whomever told you that it was undesireable, is an idiot. In my book it is one of the most desireable trophies to be had. Goats and sheep are the pinnacle in my estimation. No"hunter" that has seen a lifesize mount of a mountain goat would call it anything but awesome. Goat and sheep hunting tests a hunters "metal". They are earned not killed.

TxHornHunter 10-24-2005 08:17 PM

Contact me if you want to team up for a 2x1 goat hunt on Kodiak Island next year with a registered guide. Application period begins in December. Same guide put me on a grizzly bear this fall on Day 1. e-mail me at [email protected]

Price is $5,000 plus your airfare to Alaska. Success rate is very high.

Joe

Rebel Dog 10-25-2005 10:07 AM

I am headed for BC next Oct. for a Goat and Mule Deer/Elk Hunt I chose BC because of the success rate and not having to worry about a draw. Mountain Goat in my opinion is a very desireable trophy.

Alsatian 10-26-2005 06:58 AM

TxHornHunter:

Thanks for thinking of me, but I have to pass this year. I'm thinking more of several years in the future.

kshunter 10-26-2005 07:32 AM

Colorado Bob, I'm going to building up some points for Colorado Mountian Goat. I've been looking on their website a lot but can't seem to find the answer. IfI only want to buy a Preference Point, is the full payment still require and then refunded? I know many states work this way, but thought that Colorado was different in this perspective. But I could sure be wrong.

Montana Bob 10-26-2005 07:27 PM

Try this outfit in BC. Did a Moose hunt here and did see some goats. Pretty good prices too.
http://www.northernwoodsman.com/mountain_goat_hunting.html

Elkhntr04 10-27-2005 07:53 AM

I have heard mixed things on BC. Yeah there base prices may be cheap but there taxes and fees after kill you. Can anyone else comment on this.

Rebel Dog 10-27-2005 09:40 AM

Non Residents are entitled to a tax refund for goods and services, you will have to pay the initial 7% but can request a refund from the Canada customs and revenue Agency when you return. A mountain Goat Tag will run $350.00 and a license is around $200.00

Fees depend on the Outfitter just get clarification before you book. Mine is a set price.

Fire Arms wont be a problem if you fill out a Non Resident Firearms declaration and presnt it at the border.