Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Mountain Goat Hunting

Old 10-27-2005, 11:06 AM

Default RE: Mountain Goat Hunting

When you say yours are a set price, does that mean you are a outfitter? Do you have an outfit in Canada?
Old 10-28-2005, 07:00 AM

No I am not an outfitter, earlier in this thread I mentioned that I booked a Goat hunt in BC for next Oct. The Tax refund I just learned about and I have a set price with my chosen outfitter.
Old 10-28-2005, 08:14 AM

I am sorry, I read most of the earlier posts a few days ago. That is good information to know.
Old 10-28-2005, 08:27 AM

Don't be sorry let me know if I can help. Good Luck
Old 10-28-2005, 08:34 AM

I sent you a email. I want to fully understand what I will get myself into if I choose to hunt BC.
Old 10-29-2005, 09:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

As for in the lower 48, I think that the odds of getting a tag are quite slim. My dad has 12preferencepoints and still hasn't gotten the tag.
We were given some meat a while back and it was mostly burger. It was very tasty in my opinion. I would probably keep the tenderloins and backstraps as steaks almost out of principle but I liked the taste of the meat.
Old 10-30-2005, 06:59 AM

I drew a goat tag here in Washington in 2000 and loved it. The hunt was a blast, the country was beautiful the meat was good and so was the trophy. The meat has a lot of tendons though, and is a little different to butcher. I have points nowfor Goats in Colorado and Montana. Maybe someday.
Old 10-30-2005, 08:31 AM
Typical Buck

Hi Alsation,
There are lots of goats in bcbut outfitters are expensive. I doubt you would go home emplty handed if your in good shape. If you go that route you should plan on takin at least one other animal, elk-moose to get the most bang for your buck.
I have never shot a goat but they seem to be all over the place when I sheep hunt and I am thinking about fixing the situation. I agree they are a terrific animal. I think a tag cost 25 bucks for res. The local guides really like chasing goats and consider goat hunting their idea of fun. The moose caribou sheep and bear hunts being work.
Myself I would opt for a self guided hunt inn Alaska. Should be lots of goats out of juneau, haines or skagway.
A young friend of mine, who had never hunted anything succesfully in his life, but who is full of energy, shot a goat about 5 years ago in BC. His partner knew it was a big goat but they spent 4-5 days trying to get him with a bow (had taken several shots)but eventually took it with a rifle.
Turns out even though the goat was missing a good chunk of one horn, it was a new world record. He won the Sagina Hill Award from B and C.
My point being a self guided can work out fine.
goodluck