Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

well it happened

Old 09-27-2005, 02:54 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: well it happened

.Ruger 6.5mmSwede/ 156gr Norma, 1995

Old 09-27-2005, 02:57 PM
Dominant Buck

setImgWidth(); These are my outfitter and the one on right was my guide.
Old 09-27-2005, 03:00 PM
Dominant Buck

setImgWidth();

[align=center]Get Links for Fh000027 (1728x1232 at 675 kb) or Instant-Message this image:

You must have iframe-compatable browser in order to view the rating for this image.

Try ImageShack® for free image hosting: [/align]
Old 09-27-2005, 03:11 PM
Dominant Buck

setImgWidth();

[align=center]Get Links for Fh000015 (1735x1224 at 650 kb) or Instant-Message this image:

You must have iframe-compatable browser in order to view the rating for this image.

Try ImageShack® for free image hosting: [/align]
Old 09-27-2005, 05:35 PM

I'AM A 30 cAL. mAN ,SOI USE MY 30-06 WEATHERBY in everything I hunt, for a moose I would use as it already have being recommended the Federal Premium 180 Gr, Will do it.
Remember that it is Shot placement that kills ,not the size of the gun.
My cousin shot 1400 lbs Bison last year with a 270 and federal premium 125 Gr. The Guide at the Cheyene Sioux reservation in Pier S. Dakota thought he was nuts, one shot and the Bison was down, placed right in the heart.
Old 09-27-2005, 10:29 PM

^^^^What he said. People get so hung up on bigger is better. A 30-06 will take about any big game. The only reason I would ever consider using a 338 or 375 would be if Griz were in the area, then you need that knock down power in self defense.

I shot a bull moose three weeks ago with my 30-06, 220gr. Thing dropped like a 1,000 lbs bag of cement. Granted it was shot only 30 yds away.
Old 09-27-2005, 11:29 PM
Dominant Buck

I have .243 Ruger, 6.5mm Ruger, .270 Win,7mmMag Ruger,
.30-30 Win,.30-30 Mar, .30-06 Ruger, .338 BRN, .358 BLR and
I shot the moose I posted with the 6.5mm Ruger Swede 156gr
Norma.

My advise to all young folk that are getting started with
thier families, children and thier jobs, is go to Wal-Mart
and get yourself the Savage Combo in the caliber that
you like. It will kill them as good as all the ones mentioned above.

Old 09-28-2005, 01:04 AM

Either will work. I'd go with the 30 cal personally.
Old 09-28-2005, 01:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

Either will work, so pick which ever one you feelconfident inand shows you the best return on paper. I am not sure what moose hunting is like in Colorado but long shots here in Saskatchewan and moose don't usually go hand in hand.So you'll have to find out what the expected ranges will be then deciede whichcombo gives you the best return. Moose are large animals with thick hides, large bones and muscles. They require a solid constructed bullet as such but in all honesty aren't real hard to topple. I'd suggest the following style bullets;
Nosler partitions, TBBC, swift A frames, win failsafe or Barnes. For the conventional lead bullets in the .308/180 gr or .284/160 gr will get it done. For the all copper bullets you can drop a weight if you like or stick with the same.

I am not a neck shooter so my suggestion is put it behind the front shoulder and go collect your moose...they don't go far after being hit in the vitals. I harvested mooseby way of rifle, ML& bow I can't recall a single moose that covered 100 yards after being hit with the vitals as my target.

I leave sunday for moose. Like mentioned the fun really does begin after the trigger is pulled. Last year it took us7 hours to get the meat out and back to camp on my bull. The other bull was gratious enough to fall in a location that only required a path to be chainsawed so it only took a few hours as we could haul him out whole with the quad/trailer. Worth every minute though, just wonderfuleats them swamp donkeys provide.

Best of luck and enjoy your hunt.

FYI, both bulls we harvested last year with 160gr/.284 bullets. Mine was 7mm rem mag 160gr Nosler and the other 280 rem 160 gr failsafe.
Old 09-28-2005, 02:13 PM

There's absolutely no reason to pick one over the other based on knockdown power or trajectory (IMHO, of course!). Both are excellent moose guns. Unless you plan to shoot at long distances and have difficulty judging distances at longer ranges. If you examine the balistics and power of the cartridges at, say, 50 - 200 yards, there is very little if any functional difference for killing a moose. The "boiler room" target presented by a moose is huge and a couple inches difference in trajectory at those ranges is way beyond meaningless. They are big animals, but aren't that hard to kill if you have a good shot at a reasonable range. Even a "heart shot"gives you about an 8+ inch circle.The difference in knock down power and/or bullet dropat those ranges is insignificant and the '06 has many shell/bullet options in a 180 grain while the 7 mag generally sends a 160 gr in common shells.Furthermore, if your gun will shoot well with one of the '06 high energy cartridges (mine won't), the '06 will essentially shoot the same or better as a 7mm mag in terms of trajectory and power at moose hunting ranges.

If you have difficulty judging 250 vs 300 yds, or haven't practiced shot placement at 300+ yds to compensate for drop, the impact point could be aproblem with your '06, slightly less so for the 7mm mag.

I've taken several moose at those (50 - 200) ranges with one killing shot with my '06, always aimed dead-on, always hitting well within the boiler room. The moose sometimes drop, sometimes walk 75 yds. just like whitetails do with the same gun and same shots. My friend has done the same with his 7 mag. Other friends havehad the same experience with .308 and .270. On a recent major hunt, with long time experienced and successful moose hunters our guns were: (3) 30-06; (1) 7 mm mag (1) .375 HH; (1) .308. The guy with the .375 told me the only reason he has it is that way back when, he had a 30-06 for moose hunting and it was lost or destroyed. He needed a gun quickly and found the .375, and has used it since. Not for it's additional power, but because it works and that's all he wants from a gun. The two moose killed, single shots each, were taken by an '06 and the .308. If I were to go after moose or other game which requires longer distances, I might buy a 7 mm mag just for it's flatter trajectory and marginally better foot/lbs at longer ranges with the lighter bullets. But to me the most improvement over an '06 would be a .30 mag, not a 7mm slug(which is closeto a .270). But for moose, sincerely, you should be shooting at ranges that are well within the "virtually equal" zone for both rifles.

Which do you like and shoot better- chose that one and don't give it another thought.Sight it in with a premium bullet that makes you confident in accuracy. Moose just aren't that hard to kill. They're hard to find, get to, and get a shot at in a place that makes recovery of the dead animal a reasonable chore. The size of them not only makes you want to shoot at a shorter distance (for quick-kill and recovery purposes), but also gives you a huge kill-zone target. Be careful to consider packing before shooting, and have fun!

Quick Reply: well it happened

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.