Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Rotten Meat

Old 09-22-2005, 10:01 PM

Default Rotten Meat

I have some bait that I put out about a week ago and the bear didn't finish it all because I put out alot. Well, its been about 70 for the past week and meat doesn't hold up very well in that heat so you can imagine the rotten, magot cover stinking mess. Is this enough to repel a bear because he hasn't been comming in as much the past few days as usual. I continue to put out bait but it is hardly touched or not at all. My season is two days away and I've been baiting the same bear for about a month.
Old 09-23-2005, 08:36 AM
Spike

Default RE: Rotten Meat

You should lose that old meat...too late to change opening day interest on the barrel, but fresh meat and a honey burn will go a long ways to getting him back in on the barrel.
Old 09-23-2005, 09:10 AM

Whats the best way to do a honey burn. I'm not at all familiar withany of the methods.
Old 09-23-2005, 04:38 PM

Honey buns from a bakery... In a barrel with molasses.
Old 09-23-2005, 07:54 PM
Typical Buck

Hillbilly----A honey burn----I get a can of serno & a empty soup can. Fill the soup can with honey & light the serno. Then let it cook away. Also bacon works well also.

I found I had more luck with old doughnuts in one barrel & the other barrel I had meat scraps & old fryer grease from Wendy's.
Hope this helps. CB
Old 09-23-2005, 10:24 PM
Spike

Hillbilly, we are just going to have to get you out here to Idaho, show you a few tricks. As far as honey burns go.....just get a large coffee can or old pot, a quart of honey, and a couple cans of sterno. Pick a spot that the wind or a consistant breeze is going, and set it up on a ring of rocks, and light it. Bears have incredible sense of smell, and honey drives them wild, but be patient....itwill take some time.Be sure to get rid of the old meat....that scent is nothing they are interested in.
Old 09-23-2005, 10:46 PM

Thanks for the help guys. I'm new to the bear game. This evening I dug a hole and burried all of my old bait and put out some fresh chicken wings. I cut a popcan in half and put some honey in that and held my torch on it for about 20 minutes til it was all burned up. I don't dare leave an open flame since it has been pretty dry around here. Thanks again for the tips. I'll let you know if I get one.
Old 09-23-2005, 11:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

You need yourself some fryer grease.Talk to the local greasy spoon, fast food, chinese restruant, buffet housesor truck stops and ask them if you gave them a steel barrel if they'd put the change out oil in for you.We always pour ours out in circle around the bait sight(this will act a s scent trail for other bears to your site), then some on the trees, any stumps or rotten trees at the bait site itself. Personally haven't had a lot of luck with meat scraps unless fresh, well unless you can get your hands on some beavers(they are dyno for baiting yogi's). If you can get a beaver string it in a tree well out of reach or wire it into your barrel, so they have to work to get at it. I stick with breads(donunts, etc), oats and even have used cheap dog for substance. I then add molasses and the fryer grease and mix it up with the bait. I have also added icing sugar, which they really seem to like. The grease provides the attractant and the bait is what keeps them coming back in.

Honey, bacon or the best burn is licorice(black)..also add to the attraction level of your bait. Bears rely on the nose and live by their gut so get these 2 elements well covered and you'll have a busy barrel!

Pay attention to the tree tops when approaching a hot bait...momma likes to send her cubs up the trees when they hear you approaching and the last thing you want to do is come between momma and her puff balls!!!
Old 09-24-2005, 05:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

contrary to what some people may tell you, bears like humans like fresh meat. to bears, unless they are starving, rotting meat is as appealing to them as it is to us. it would be best to get rid of it and put something out that won't spoil or smell.