Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Lure For Black Bears

Old 09-21-2005, 11:43 AM

Default Lure For Black Bears

What bear lure do you guys suggest for this fall?? Baiting is not legal here. I contacted the DNR about doing a "honey burn" they told me I could do it if I only used a few drops of honey and absolutely not a single DROP of honey or burnt honey hit the ground or I would be breaking the law!! He also said that if they wanted to they could argue that the smell was coming from food, and the food being in the woods could be baiting. He kinda had an attitude, so I'm almost afraid to try it. That said all I can do is put a stand in a tree and try to find some kind of scent to attract them. I found a synthetic scent spray on ebay that smells like bacon but its kinda expensive, I also had thought about trying those scent sticks that smoke. What would you do??
Old 09-21-2005, 12:28 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Lure For Black Bears

What ever you use, don't put it on yourself!
The best lure is the smell of fish, but not on
you, on the ground. If it is not legal in your
state, how are you going to use it?
Old 09-21-2005, 12:44 PM

"scents" are legal as long as its not something that they can actually eat. Like I can spray something liquid that smells like fish on the trees or something, but I cant throw a dead fish on the ground.
Old 09-21-2005, 12:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

i think baiting is usually considered putting food out for the animal.

i had been wondering the same exact thing. i may be going to nc for a bear hunt, baiting's illegal there too. i was wondering whether those scent smokers worked too.
Old 09-21-2005, 12:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: antlergetter

"scents" are legal as long as its not something that they can actually eat. Like I can spray something liquid that smells like fish on the trees or something, but I cant throw a dead fish on the ground.
what if you boiled a fish down the night before, then strained the fish parts out and then sprayed the juice all over a tree??? would that work???
Old 09-21-2005, 12:50 PM

Hunter06....That sounds like a pretty good idea. I'll have to give that one some thought.
Old 09-21-2005, 01:03 PM

Anis oil, mint or Vinella ( pure, not artificial).
Make a scent generator: 1) 1.5"-2" PVC or ABS plastic about a foot long. Drill two through holes about an inch from each end (an eighth inch works fine). 2) One or two super absorbant, unscented tampons. 3) Heavy duty dark garbage bag.

Put a tie wire through one end of drilled holes to haing in a tree.
Tie another wire in the other through holes, to hang the tampons from.
Soak tampons in scent of choice and tie to Pipe wire.
Now cover with the garbage bag, it'll work better if you reduce the size of most heavyduty bages by one half. leave lots of room under the pipe.
Now duct tape the bag to the pipe.
Haing this high in the tree to spread the smell around.
Cut a "V" of about three inches in bottom, leaving flap attached.

The hole in the bottom is to let air in.
The pipe is to let the air out.
The garbage bag is to heat the air in the bag, pushing a conscentrated scent into the air

Two or three of these will work fine.
Next build a positioning trap. ie.,a Big "V" set in the direction you want the bear.

At the apex of the "V" lower down, hang some paper towel with the same scent. cover with brush and a "log" or two. Just enough to keep the bear occupied for a while. And so that he doesn't see that there really isn't anything there.

Some DNR guys use this same sort of set up to trap bears.

Good luck,
Dan
Old 09-21-2005, 01:05 PM

Best lure I have seen, bar none, is a liquid product made by GBow Hunting solutions in Portage, WI. It is a concentrated liquid in smoke, anise, and a couple other scents. The liquid is labeled as a synthetic so it can be used in Canada. I have seen it poured on a log and the anise scent was still strong after two weeks and a few rainstorms. Bears will literally chew the log away. Where you can get it in VA I don't know. See if there are any GBow scent dealers in your area. They make one heck of a good line of deer scents too.
Old 09-21-2005, 02:27 PM

Well, you might not be able to bait bears where you are, but you could certainly hunt over natural food. This might be your next best option. I know a guy that has about six giant oak trees in his yard and then a few more oaks down where his stand is. To make a long story short, he gathers all of the fallen acorns in his yard and carries them down to where the oaks are in the woods by his stand and just piles them up right underneath the oak trees. The deer just seem to love eating them. I don't know what you should do, but there is usually a way to draw them in legally if you think hard enough about it.
Old 09-21-2005, 03:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

would it be considered baiting if you shot a nuisance bear on the way to a trash dumb or something like that. the area that i may be going to has a bunch of nuisance bears going into a trash dump.

Quick Reply: Lure For Black Bears

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.