Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
Question on sighting in rifle >

Question on sighting in rifle

Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Question on sighting in rifle

Old 10-01-2002, 09:41 AM

Default Question on sighting in rifle

Hello all: I am new to (posting) on this board, but have enjoyed reading other posts and gaining valuable information from all the experts out there. Question about sighting in my rifle: I have it set to shoot groups at about 1.5 to 2 inches high at 100 yards (which is the way I like it), but sighted it this way shooting 150 grain nosler partition bullets. What effect will shooting 180 grain NP bullets now have on my accuracy? Any? The reason is I found a mail order service that I can get them cheaper (but they only sell the 180 grain), and, all things being equal, would rather save the money. For what its worth, I am shooting a 7mm Rem Ult. Mag for the upcoming elk season. Thanks in advance.
Old 10-01-2002, 11:46 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Question on sighting in rifle

I shoot a 7mm mag and my rifle also loves 150 gr partitions. I have 175 gr partitions that I shoot out of it and the only thing I don't like is the lower velocity. They will drop considerably more and faster and you will have to resight your rifle and learn how the new load shoots. If I were you I would stick with the 150's especially since you've got it where you like it.
Old 10-02-2002, 10:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

I would say you'll loose about 1/2 an inch in drop and 300 fps MV. As far as accuracy i can't seeing them being more than 2", all things being equal. Do you need to go up, no. However if you want to save the money, then why not. Just practice with 180's and see what happens!

Old 10-03-2002, 10:00 AM
Typical Buck

Skeeter 7mm, the 180 is heavier and you will have a lower muzzle velocity so yes it may only be 1/2 inch difference at say a 100 yards. But the 180 is going to continue drop much faster than the 150 and when you starting talking about 300 to 400 yards the drop will hit 5 to 8 inches more and finally at 500 yds it will have about 12 inches more drop than the 150's. In my opinion that is a big difference and not worth a small savings.
Old 10-03-2002, 12:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

In some ways we are comparing apples and oranges. Are you talking reloads or factory ammunition? If factory, which brand and what is the muzzle velocity of each. Then you have to look at the balistics charts and see what you have. For instance, looking at Remington balistics tables for their 160 grain vs. their 175 grain, if you sight the 175's in at 2.5 inches at 100 yards, they will only drop 2 inches more at 400 yards (past which almost nobody should be shooting at an elk) than the 160's and you can hold dead on for almost up to 300 yds. All things being equal, if I had my druthers, I would prefer 175 grain hitting that bull than 150. Not to say that 150 is not an EXCELLENT choice, but the 175 will perform better in less than optimal conditions/angle of impact/hitting big bones etc.

Bottom line is that the cost difference in negligable when you look at the cost of an elk hunting trip. Buy a couple of boxes and try them. I would shoot whichever groups better and you feel more confident with. On that note, it is kind of late to be changing loads for this year unless you go shoot the new ammo quite a few times, which negates the cost savings. You really can't go wrong with either but if I shot both bullets equally acurately and without flinching at the bigger bullet, I would choose the 175-180 gr.
Old 10-03-2002, 01:13 PM

Yep...I'm w/txhunter. If you are shooting factory loads, just go to the manufacturers site and download the ballistics chart. Then get back out there and re-sight that puppy with the loads you intend to use. Getting off a good shot in real world hunting conditions requires that you have a gun that is performing the way you want it to. A gun that isn't dead-on on the bench sure isn't going to do much for you in the field where shooting situations are almost infinitely variable. (and a lot damned tougher)

"Friend of Men, Lover of Women, Purveyor of the Brutal Truth"
Old 10-03-2002, 02:20 PM
Typical Buck

txhunter58, I agree with you except that in your example you compared 160's vs 175's. There is only a 15 grain difference there. He is talking about a 30 grain difference using the same bullet and my experience has taught me that he will probably not like the performance difference and it will be noticeable. You're right about the on game performance, it will probably be better but the ballistics will change quite a bit. I like your point about having to shoot many rounds to get used to the difference. You usually spend a lot on practicing when changing rounds.
Old 10-03-2002, 03:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

rather be, I was only refering to his POI and accuracy at sight in at 100 Yards. Obviously 180 is going to drop more the farther you get out. However I read his question that he was concerned about sight in and the accuracy effect a 180 would have!

I agree I wouldn't save money on any hunt, i buy what performs the best.

Old 10-03-2002, 08:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Rather: You are correct of course, but my point is that a 175 bullet(only 5 grains different than a 180) has an acceptable balistics curve sighted in at 2.5-3 inches high at 100 yards, so downrange drop is not that big an issue.