Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Anyone have success hunting the Flat Top Wilderness? >

Anyone have success hunting the Flat Top Wilderness?

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Anyone have success hunting the Flat Top Wilderness?

Old 09-06-2011, 03:33 PM
Spike

Would I find a number of campers near Crescent Lake in the 3rd rifle season?
Old 09-29-2011, 04:07 PM
Spike

Default Bump

Just looking for feedback on what I may find for numbers of campers near Crescent Lake.

Thanks
Old 09-29-2011, 05:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

The Flat Tops get alot of snow in winters. Sometimes it hits early. I was out there 1 yr. last wk of archery, and got hit with a foot of snow overnight. So the pressure, campers, spikers will all depend on weather conditions. Remember most of the Flat Tops is Wilderness area only accessible by horseback and foot. So back in your only going to find spike camps by horseback. Last yr. it was either 3rd or 4th rifle season the Flat Tops got hammered, and hunters had a hard time getting out. I would also plan on having tire chains for your truck, if go 3rd season. Just to be safe.
I can't tell you exactly on Cresent Lake. The road I accessed on was 5 miles long, and took over 1hr to drive it to the basecamp. Which was in the Derby area. If you can get to it, so can others. By the 3rd season you mights well not worry about pressure. Its been hunted since last wk of August!!
Old 10-02-2011, 05:45 AM
Spike

Yeah. We have the chains, high lift jack and spare fuel along with our gear in case it gets too sticky.
Anyone have any recommendations for a last place to stop in town for gear, food, etc? We will be driving in from the Denver area.

Thanks
Old 10-11-2011, 03:43 PM
Spike

Default Flat Tops USGS Topo Quads

Can anyone give me the names of the USGS quads including area at Crescent lake and south/southwest?

Thanks
Old 03-04-2012, 05:34 PM
Spike

Brand new to this site.I was hoping to revive it this thread. Not meanig to highjak it though. My buddies and me are putting in for unit 24 this year for 1st season elk. We are packers with horses and mules. We have hunted in many areas of the west. This will be the first any of us have traveled Colorado though. We are not afraid of hard work and are willing to do what it takes to be where the elk are.
I am hoping to get some suggestions from this site and it's members. We will be taking some scouting trips this summer to get the lay of the land as well as prepare the animals for the road trip and the hunt.
Old 03-12-2016, 09:05 PM
Spike

Shane,

I just came across your entry in this forum. I have wanted to hunt the Flattops for years and now I have a chance. Suggestions?

Larry Francis
[email protected]
Old 03-13-2016, 06:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

The internet and threads like this are what have ruined elk hunting in Colorado.

Stop dragging it up and learn to hunt without someone holding your hand.
Old 03-13-2016, 06:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

Come on Pete, give him the coordinates to your honey hole just like any good hunter would, LOL! This thread is only 4 years old and the guy he asked the question of hasn't been back on the site since the night he made that post. I seriously doubt he'll be responding, so being the great guy that you are please come up with some GPS coordinates. Seriously though, welcome to our newbie and if you want to hunt there or anywhere else the internet is flooded with information just like Pete mentioned. Just start doing some google searching for what you want or, hint hint, get onto the CO DNR website, as it's crammed full of useful information!
Old 03-13-2016, 06:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

If you read the thread you'll see this thread has been brought a few times over the years. It doesn't matter who he asked. Someone else will answer.

It's getting to the point in Colorado that no matter how hard I scout for new areas to hunt. Someone will be there come hunting day. When I ask them how they knew to come to the spot they always tell me some guy on a forum told them.

It's getting old.

Quick Reply: Anyone have success hunting the Flat Top Wilderness?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.