HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Big Game Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting-6/)
-   -   Hunting Black Bear (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting/112150-hunting-black-bear.html)

antlergetter 09-09-2005 12:26 PM

Hunting Black Bear

This will be my first year going after a bear. I know by sign and trailcam pictures that I have plenty bears on my stomping ground. My problem is I know little about hunting for bear. Baiting is not legal here, and I have no dogs. I really want to tag one with my bow, what is the best meathod?? Hunt them like deer?? Any recomended scents or lures?? Any info would help. I just moved to this area and since the bear are plentiful I hoped to try and tag one. Thanks

antlergetter 09-10-2005 11:40 AM

RE: Hunting Black Bear

Come on guys. Surely someone has some kinda advice. Share the wealth! I really wanna fill my tag. Theres bound to be some tricks of the trade. :eek:;)

johnson1to6 09-10-2005 12:02 PM

You can do many things for bear, spot and stalk, tree stand, and if you have enough people you can form a drive. I f you have pictures on your trail camera that probably is just as good as any way, hang a stand and wait them out. I spot and stalk in the fall by following old logging roads and cut lines but my failure rate is about 99 percent with my bow. Bears up here dont seem to have much routine they tend to wander so if you have found a couple that keep on going by your camera I'd try to sit them out. Good luck and post pictures if you get one! :D:eek:[:o]:)

Cowboy Al 09-10-2005 12:07 PM

Your best bet is to find what they are keying on as far as food is concerned. I'm not sure what area you hunt, butin my "neck of the woods" they will be eating berries and crops such as oats. Figuire out where they are feeding, they won't be too far away. If youknow (from your trailcams) that they around, find a good ambush spot and try predator calling, I think a rabbit in distress call would work fine. I hope this info helps! Good luck!

Elkcrazy8 09-10-2005 10:23 PM

If it is legal, do a honey burn. Put some honey in a pot and start heating it. This should draw one in if he catches wind of it. Bacon burns also work well. Bears are also addicted to propane. Take your propane torch with you and crack the valve. The bears will tear the can apart to get to the smell. You might want to make sure that these methods are legal. You are however spreading odor and not leaving bait per say.................Good luck!!!!!

WARedBear 09-12-2005 09:30 AM

Define baiting?:eek: Is a honey burn or scents considered baiting?

You have pictures from a cam? Post them...we like pictures. If they are coming into an area on a regular basis then I would put up a stand there and wait for one to show up. The thing to remember about bears is that they are very quiet. I never can get over how something that bid can sneak into a stand without making a single bit of noise. I can't tell you how many times I've looked up from a book or turned to see a bear coming in. They are sneaky.

Rem1100 09-12-2005 11:59 AM

according to our regs, burns are ok... but we saw good sucess with pouring soda pop around the area... the syrup will draw 'em... honeys' too expensive to waste;)

Hunter06FlKy 09-12-2005 02:10 PM

i've heard of scent sticks that you burn for bear. would those only work during the rut or do they have different scents for them?

heeze gutshot shortee 09-18-2005 07:51 PM

BAIT....if its legal....molasses and popcorn always draws em in...Get up as high as you can. they will stay at a food source as long as its there. Keep your eyes peeled, they move like shadows...