Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Camp Gun

Old 08-26-2005, 12:07 PM

Default Camp Gun

I will be Elk hunting in Colorado (GMU 55 just outside Gunnison) for the first time this November. My mind is racing with things that I just don’t experience in the Upper Midwest.

One of the items that I have a question about is a camp gun, preferably a revolver that you keep on your side while in camp.

Is an additional camp gun necessary or do the more seasoned hunters out there just rely upon your primary hunting rifle.

If you do have an extra camp gun, what is the minimum caliber you would recommend?

I do have a Ruger Super Redhawk in .44 mag but it’s topped with a Leupold 2X scope and is kind of bulky for all the time side carry.

I also have a S&W 686 in .357 along with some Federal Premium Vital Shok 180 grain CastCore bullets. Would this combo be enough for the special mountain variety critters one might encounter in this part of Colorado?

Regards,
Steve
Old 08-26-2005, 12:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Camp Gun

Steve,
The 2 handguns you have would be fine for a camp gun.I myself hunt alot in grizz country and camp in it also,so my camp gun is a Strouger s/s 12 ga.I also keep my rifle handy,I hang my rifle by the camper or cook shack,you never know when a herd of elk might come running by.
BBJ
Old 08-26-2005, 12:33 PM

I've personally never felt the need for a "camp gun", Even in Grizzly country I've always felt my 338 was enough protection. Hypothetically, if I felt the need, I doubt that I would choose a pistol. Here's my logic: We are most likely talking a big critter in the dark. For that, I wouldn't want the most innaccurate weapon I own. A 12 ga. with 00 buck is more like it. More projectiles = better chance of hitting I think.

PS you should always keep your weapon handy.Not necessarilly for protection.You never know when a bull or deer might step out.
Old 08-26-2005, 12:58 PM
Fork Horn

You won't need a camp gun in CO. It is not grizzly country, and black bear/mountain lion attacks are a rarity. My opinion is that if you have one, it won't hurt to bring it. If you don't have one, don't go buy one.
Old 08-26-2005, 01:25 PM

leave the second gun at home unless you are scared of the dark
Old 08-26-2005, 01:37 PM

Thanks guys......I appreciate the responses. One less thing I need to lug out there

Regards,
Steve
Old 08-26-2005, 02:49 PM

I would bring the .357 S&W. I am from the school of thought where it is better to be safe than sorry. I know that the last thing I want to be doing instead of shooting the mountain lion thats chewing on my skull is wondering why in the hell I didn't bring my .357 on the hunt with me. It doesn't weigh you down that much, and if you need it you will be glad that you have it. That is just my opinion. I know that I am bringing my .357 bear hunting with me this year, and it also goes on all of my wild boar hunts. I believe it was the movie "Tombstone" where they all laughed at the one armed man for having three guns. His response was, "I'm not gonna get killed for a lack of shooting back" and thats just my thought too when it comes to a back up weapon! Some people will laugh, but I may even bring a small sword with me as well. I'm not going down without a fight!
Old 08-26-2005, 03:05 PM

I agree with shato... But as you dont say if you own a shotgun I would take the .357
good luck.
Old 08-26-2005, 03:32 PM
Spike

BB Gun there is only the dark in CO.
Old 08-26-2005, 03:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

"I'm not gonna get killed for a lack of shooting back"
-------------"Unforgiven" actually

Quick Reply: Camp Gun

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.