Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Help in choosing a caliber. >

Help in choosing a caliber.

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Help in choosing a caliber.

Old 08-24-2005, 05:24 AM

Default RE: Help in choosing a caliber.

I am still torn, it looks like 50-50 figuring in which one I am more comfortale with which is the 30-06, my 30-06 has been my meat and potatos rifle for 15 years, It is a part of me as is myDog.Obviously I feel more comfortable shouldering it than a new Rifle but my longest shot with it is just 150 yards and I bought the 300 not knowing what distances I would encounter and the Elk.

Well I am going to ponder some more I appreciate the help.
Old 08-24-2005, 08:53 AM

Rebel,

If I remember correctly your going to British columbia, right? If so I would take the ultra as my primary. Expect longer shots than you are used to. I also seem to remember that your trip is next fall.That shouldgive you plenty of time to become fimilar with your rifle.Be prepared to make shots out to 300 yards. Of course, its betterto takecloser shots but I would hate to have a big goat, or elk at 300 and not feel comfortable shooting that distance.just my two cents.
Old 08-24-2005, 08:56 AM

I'd hunt with the gun I was most familiar/comfortable with. Based on your comments, that would be the30-06.As others will tell you, sight your rifle in with an accurate load and go hunting. OR, you could spend some range time with the new 300 until you feel comfortable, then use that gun. Either way, you have plenty of gun for elk.
Old 08-24-2005, 09:47 AM

And there comes the rub doesn't it? If you had bought the 300 RUM two years ago and used it on your 100 yard deer shooting for two years in preparation for this trip, then in your current state of mind you'd be more comfortable.Of course,the downside is everyone back home (and on here) would be having a cow about yourbeing so "overgunned" using such a rifle for deer. Sometimes they just don't get it that youmay be "just practicing" andplanning ahead to another day (your "big hunt")in another place (with different topography and ranging) for different game (bigger).

I like 30-06's a lot; however, IMHO, folks that use one single rifle "too long" (especially on a steady diet of one type of game) tend to start getting a bit emotional aboutthat particular rifleand start to attach attributes to the "pet" rifle far beyond what it deserves (aka "its all in your head"). A rifle is just a tool, the human mind is the key ingredient. A modern scoped rifle well sighted in at 200 yards is a modern scoped rifle well sighted in at 200 yards.Hitting with either one is no differentfrom hitting with the other (within hunting tolerances) assuming they both fit you and you are not scared of either one of them.

Set up, cross hairs in the killzone, squeeze, thump --- no bigdeal. Any long distance elevation drop calculations are going to be thought thru cognitavely not instinctively (don't forget crosswind), so even a small amount of range timeshould bring you up to speed if you "go after it" as a student and not some one out to just "shoot the hell out of things." I've taken "new" rifles elk hunting numerous times, sometimes without a whole lot of rounds thru them because I had just got them "put together" and sighted in in the month before the hunt,and as long as they were well sighted in the result has been the same --- hammered elk I know it is me that makes things work and notthe "voodoo characteristics" of any one rifle (as long as it is a strong cartridge).

As much as I like 30-06's, the 300RUM will whip it at every corner and is the superior rifle for the hunts you have described, points that I am sure were not lost on you when you bought it. Assuming you can "divorce" yourself from your sentimentalities for "Old Betsy," strap yourself into that new fighter jet you just bought and go get aftersome heavy practiceandthen go kick some elk/mountain goat /mountain muliearse ---and don't look back.

On the other hand, if you don't think you can, then you probably can't and probably shouldn't--- your call, but there is nothing "magic" about your 30-06, the "magic" lies within you.

My $.02.
Old 08-24-2005, 11:23 AM

Well ELKampMaster I feel like I just got breached to by my Dad, I am going to set it up and shoot it this winter.... Poor Whitetails, Most of the 300 support I noticed was from the West Thanks.
Old 08-24-2005, 12:12 PM

I would bring both rifles, using the one that you shoot best for your main gun and the other as a back up.
Old 08-24-2005, 04:32 PM
Typical Buck

As stated above, "Take the one you shoot the best" Yes, technically both will do the job, and most rifles are probably more capable than the shooter. In your head or not, there is a mental component that makes a diff. Spend some time at the range and in the field shooting both at long distances and use the one your the most confident in as your primary weapon. The other to backup. Envy you a bit... it'll be a great hunt.
Old 08-26-2005, 11:07 PM
Boone & Crockett

You know that your 6.5x55 will handle the job too. In the 300 RUM you have a cannon so you just as well use it.