Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Colorado Mule Deer/Elk

Old 08-17-2005, 12:08 PM

Default Colorado Mule Deer/Elk

I have been saving up my vacation and intend to take a trip to Colorado in 2006 for a rifle mule deer, elk, or combined hunt. I'm not after a huge trophy and would even be satisfied with a cow or doe.
The problem is..I'm totally ignorant about hunting in Colorado.
I have no idea what units to apply for, what seasons to hunt, where to stay, or camp, whether I can just buy a license or need to be drawn, etc.
Can any of you give advice to me or direct me to a website or resource to help.
I have downloaded 2004 & 2005 draw data and 2004 hunt results from CDW. This data is useful, but not as good as friendly advice from experienced people.
If anyone is willing to spend time answering some questionsand helpinga newcomer, please post, and I will respond with a bunch of (probably stupid) questions.
Old 08-17-2005, 05:07 PM

Default RE: Colorado Mule Deer/Elk

Hey deercorn, how are you? I lived in Cortez Colorado for several years and hunted both deer and elk while living there from north of Dolores up through Durango towards Pagosa Springs.. May I ask what part of the country you live in now? I only ask because a lot of hunting in Colorado is above 10,000'. Will you be archery hunting? As much as I love Colorado, I would take a long hard look at Idaho. In either case, simply call the Game & Fish and ask them to put you in contact with a wildlife biologists that works the area your planning to hunt. These guy's are honest and can give you very detailed information about specific basins ridges etc. Feel free to e-mail me directly at [email protected]
Old 08-17-2005, 07:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

True, they are very helpful, but for me they are really helpful if you ask about specific questions. If you ask "where is a good place to hunt elk?' They will probably say that there are elk in all areas. If however, you ask if "grizzly creek" is a good area or "bigfoot mountain" you will get specific answers which are much more useful. Start out by doing your own research at the Colorado DOW website: http://wildlife.state.co.us/ under big game harvest statistics. Will give you hunter numbers and success rates for each unit. Better yet, invest in the CD that they sell. Has all the info on the website, plus more such as numbers of animals and bull/cow ratios in each area. Once you have several areas of interest, go to some maps and find some areas off road that you would have to hike to to hunt, then call the DOW officers and ask them about those areas.

Also, start apply for preference points next spring (April1stin the deadline). You have to send in some money, but they refund all but $3 after the drawing. There are, however, lots of OTC elk tags. Most archery tags are OTC and either sex. Then the 2nd and 3rd rifle seasons are OTC in most areas. The website will tell you that as well. Good luck. Just keep doing research. No one is going to give you a honey hole where they hunt. You have to use a lot of elbow grease yourself. They do some trial and error for yourself. Good luck.
Old 08-18-2005, 01:29 AM
usa
Fork Horn

DEERCORN, deer are all by draw in Colorado unless you buy a landowner tag or hope for a leftover tag after the draw,for your situation an over the counter elk tag or a cow tag would probably work.lot's of variables to be considered like who are you hunting with / how much experience do you have hunting/ are you able to use a compass or gps and last but not least what can you afford ? if moneys no object then a guide would be the way to go to learn the basic skills, if your budget is limited then consider a do it yourself hunt and do your research and continue to ask question's until you are reasonably confident, oh, and one other thing there isn't a deer or elk behind every bush as the hunting video's would have you believe you will have to hunt hard ( of course theres always beginners luck ), I've hunted public land in Colorado for about 10 year's and would be glad to help you get set up .Most of all go for the experience, even if you don't fill your tag the memories will be worth it, good hunting, Bill
Old 08-18-2005, 07:14 AM

Thanks for your replies.
I live near Tyler, Texas and hunt as often as I can. I bowhunt whitetails and hogs a lot.
My father and father-in-law plan to make the trip with me next year. I would like to bowhunt, but they are strictly rifle so I guess we'll have to go during gun season.
Maybe I'll get a bow trip in 2007.
We plan to go through the maps and draw data this weekend and at least try tonarrow our plans to afewunits in a specific area. Only my father in law has been before, back in the 1970's. So basically we'll just be pointing atspots on paper without knowing much. I'd appreciate any warnings like, "Unit XX is always snowed in", or "you can'tget to unit XX without horses".
I am familiar with hunting public land in Texas and will use GPS andradios. Also I am in good shape and can hike and travel well. I don't care if I get a hotel, camp in a tent, or haul a camper. Ican bringATV's if I need them, but don't have horses. My companions are older - so I don't want an "extreme" camping or long pack-in experience.
I basically want this trip as a first experience and will be OK with going home empty handed, but of course the better my chances of sucess, the happier I am.
Can't afford a guided trip.
Thanks again for you comments. Hopefully I'll have more specific questions after the weekend
Old 08-18-2005, 02:28 PM

Deercorn, have you thought about a drop-camp. You can still go in deep where there's better opportunity and it's less expensive than a full-guided. We're outfitters in Unit 74, 75,76,751 & G5, this year the DOW changed the 4th rifle, as you've been told - OTC is pretty-much 2nd & 3rd unlimited tags. But you have time to plan ahead and put in next year for the drawing, you'll know in time to make plans - also apply as a group and they'll accept or deny you as a group (I think you chances are better as a group).
We provide gps in our drop camps with areas that we find when scouting and know to be good "elk hangouts or paths".
While we live and hunt, Idaho is also nice but rugged.
There are specific areas that allow ATV access to a point, they are not in my permitted areas, but we do have horses and llamas that we use for packing in and we have a packout service where you can call & give us a gps lat/long we'll come in and pack out the elk for you. Some guys are in great shape and can pack in deepbut just can't carry camp and an elk out that far.
You're welcome to call and just talk hunting and the area.
(970)749-9695 Rick
Old 08-19-2005, 09:45 PM

Deercorn,
East of Bayfield Colorado about seven miles in unit 751 think it also Beaver Creek i believe you should be able to get a nice hunt i have seen some good deer there and some elk that stay close to the roads not big monsters but nice, and if im reading right buglemn might be in the right spot for help. Just keep four wheelers on the proper trails and out of the woods.