Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Grizz in the lower 48

Old 08-11-2005, 09:01 PM

Default Grizz in the lower 48

So it seems like the battle for the delisting of the mighty ursos arctos continues, but it does not look like it is going to get de-listed. I was just curious, if they proposed a plan to re-introduce the great bears into places like Colorado and New Mexico maybe Utah as well to get it delisted and then some day in ten or so years, have huntable populations, would you guys support it?

Personally, I was against the big bears until I got up here and had the opportunity to hunt them. I have not killed one yet because I want a big one, a really big one, but I have to say I really enjoy the opportunity to get out there and hunt them in the spring. Plus hunting and camping in grizzly country makes the hunt just a little edgier, a little more dangerous, and bumping one up close is a thrill. I think it is sad that guys who live in states like Colorado and New Mexico have no chance to hunt the grizzly. He is a worthy quary and a true trophy.

If it were me, knowing what I know now, I would support grizzly re-introduction if it meant a guy could hunt them in western states down the road. But since I live in Alaska, my opinion means nothing. How do other guys feel who live there?
Old 08-11-2005, 11:44 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Grizz in the lower 48

I think we would soon have the same problem we have with wolves and mountain lions now. I quess I would not oppose it but I would rather leave well enough alone.
Old 08-12-2005, 10:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well after what they did the damn wolve reintroduction to Idaho... I would sure as hell oppose it! It always seems to amaze me that the people that make the BIG decisions never know what the hell they are talking about! And most of them are pavement pounders anyways, so they could care less what happens in the wilderness. I love Griz.. I want one so Badly! however, We already have them in Idaho... As well as we all ready had wolves in Idaho.. So To bring more of them in would be devistating to the deer and elk populations! Idaho is at the point of having a serious wolf problem anyways.. I pray never to have a Griz problem as well. I would rather hunt them in AK anyways, it adds o the adventure!!
Old 08-12-2005, 07:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't want the grizz or the wolf back in Utah. We have enough herd problems with drought, we don't need another predator(s).
Old 08-12-2005, 09:04 PM

Although i would love to hunt griz i have to agree that going to AK really ads to the adventure also the griz would be horrible on the deer population so i would oppose it
Old 08-12-2005, 10:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would be for it as long as their numbers can absolutely be kept in check, but the endangered species people would be an obstacle. Good luck.
Old 08-13-2005, 01:06 PM

Yes,

The End Sp. Act supporters don't seem to understand that once an animal hits its goal, delisting and state can be a little hard on the calves, but the wolves and black bears are much more devestating as has been proven up here many times. There are areas up here like the Yukon Charely reserve where bears and wolves in combination have hurt the moose population, so they are aerial gunning wolves again -- much to the dismay of the PETA crowd. Anyway, if you ever get a chance to hunt the bears DO IT! There is no bigger rush than having a grizzly at thirty yards!
Old 08-13-2005, 05:39 PM

I'll pass on introducing grizzlies or wolves into new areas in the lower 48. If I felt the need to take either one, then I'd be glad to just ante up and head up on up to Alaska.
Old 08-15-2005, 10:12 AM

I would be for it, if the liberals and animal rights activists could be kept out of it. If the decisions where left to true widlife biologist then I would support it. Now, we all know that will never happen. the Peta crowd in the cities would go bananas. It funny how the folks who never set foot in the wilderness are the ones making the biggest waves. Any idiot can see that the wolf population in Wyoming, Montana, & Idaho is out of control. Any body with any sense knows they need to be managed