Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Bulls are a callin already!!!! >

Bulls are a callin already!!!!

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Bulls are a callin already!!!!

Old 08-09-2005, 11:30 AM

Default RE: Bulls are a callin already!!!!

as far as rubing have not seen it yet. did see a small group of 6 bulls on sunday 2 real nice ones. they were all full velvet yet.
Old 08-09-2005, 07:43 PM
Spike

I saw a herd of about 50 cows with one raghorn 3point and a nice 5 point herd bull. You could tell the 5 point was felling the urge. He was pushing the herd around and struting around when the raghorn got close. I didn't hear him bugle but they all were mewing like crazy. It looked like he was just starting to rub his velvet off, but it was hard to tell with the heat waves in the binos.

I can't wait for September!!!

BM
Old 08-11-2005, 08:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Bulls are a calling already!!!!

ShatoDavis

titleAndStar(250,0,0,false,"","")
Rack Buck

[align=center][/align]
Its amazing the knowledge that can be gleened from this site. I never knew that cows could bugle, interesting. I wish I lived closer to the mountains so I could spend the time to understand these beautiful creatures. Thanks for the info, and keep it coming.

"Well, If'n I had me a horse pistol like that.... I wouldn't be afraid of no bogger man." Rooster Cogburn

Shato, I know what you mean, I wish they lived in my back yard so I could watch and learn from them everyday. They are such beautiful and majestic animals, IMO they symbolize all that the west and the rocky mountains stand for. I love Dwight Schuh's (well known author and bowhunter)quote "Elk, perhaps more than any other big gameanimal, truly symbolize wilderness values, and it's the wilderness expedition that most hunters dream about." I don't think it can be said any better, also since this thread is about bugling bulls I love the quote by Ed Wolff "In my opinion there is one sound that typifies wildness, a sound that stirs contemporary man's primitive instincts and makes an outdoor experience rich. Its the deep, guttural roar of a herd bull elk rising from the dark of a north-facing lodgepole jungle." Again I only quote because I don't think it can be said any better. I always say any man who thinks he has learned it all about elk and elk hunting is a fool and come elk season, theelk will make and prove him a fool to all. I try to learn as much as I can every yearbeing in the outdoors, the elk's classroom. When I am not out in the woods I try to learn from others because after all education is the exchange of ideas. No way can one person learn it all! But if we put our heads together and format a plan,we can learn to sometimes beat the elk at there own game and the odds and take home some good tasting meat. But if we loose and most of the time we often do, in my opinion we still come out of the woods a better man or woman for the experience shared with friends and family with elk and elk country.
Old 08-11-2005, 01:47 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Bulls are a calling already!!!!

Good call, cows do indeed bugle. Also, bulls can and do bugle all year. I've heard bugles in May through Dec. I heard my first bugle this year (a bull) on July 4th. This kind of bugling is most often prompted in a really big mixed herd when the cows and calves are really getting vocal.
Old 08-12-2005, 12:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

I called in a small 5x5 early this morning. He was still in full velvet. He came in silent, to check me out. He never did see or smell me. He was looking hardfor the bull, thatcalled him in.
Old 08-12-2005, 01:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

That keeps my hopes up. Thanks.. Seems how it has been so dry in Idaho Lately. I figured they will only be talkin at night! Maybe there still is a Elk God!!!
Old 08-12-2005, 07:15 PM

Bulls are in full velvet here as of last weekend....will be riding this weekend scouting for fresh rubs,wallows etc... will keep you guys posted!
Old 08-15-2005, 09:53 AM

ORIGINAL: Hemi

Bulls are in full velvet here as of last weekend....will be riding this weekend scouting for fresh rubs,wallows etc... will keep you guys posted!
So how did the weekend scout go?
Old 08-15-2005, 12:29 PM

I saw 25 elk thismorning about 1/4 mile from my house. There were 2 4x4's, a spike and a 5x5. The bigger bulls were all completely out of velvet, I could not tell if the spike was or not. I even got to watch the two 4 points spar for a while. I can smell fall in the air now.
Old 08-20-2005, 10:11 AM

Shato,

My posting on here is pretty irregular due to the fact that I work out of town durring the week. Im home only Fri nights to mon mornings...........anyhow did not see any fresh rubs in 30 miles of riding last weekend.. HOWEVER!!!!! I called in a big 6x6 last night a couple miles from the house that was partially rubbed out so things are coming along great!...Moon was bright last night and I snuck up toa piece of private land that I have access to hunt. Large alfalfa fields flanked by heavy dark timber draws that drop up to 2500' in elevation etc...Im using the primos blue double reed mouth reed and a thunder bugle tube. Barely got my bugle out and he was on it from across the field. He did not hang up at all.... wind was in my favour and he walked in to approx. 45 yards of me....I could count his points and see that he was a good bull starting to rub out. I watched him for 15 min until he left so as not to spook him... could hear approx 4 other bulls bugleing in the valley!

Will be taking out my young colt this evening to scout some more....will keep you guys posted if your interested........

Its hard to be focused on my upcoming Bighorn hunt when these elk are rippin up the turf!!!

Quick Reply: Bulls are a callin already!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.