HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Big Game Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting-6/)
-   -   Factory loads for Browning A-Bolt - 7mm Mag (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting/106755-factory-loads-browning-bolt-7mm-mag.html)

fillae 07-26-2005 12:32 PM

Factory loads for Browning A-Bolt - 7mm Mag

Looking for advice from all the A-Bolt owners out there. This will be my 2nd season Elk Hunting. I used 160 gr Federal Accubonds last season, but was unhappy with how they shot out of my a-bolt. I use 150 gr Rem core-lokts for whitetail and have been extremely happy with how they shot. By "how they shot", I mean I was able to keep tight groups at up to 200 yds with them. The groups I shot with the Accubonds where not as tight, or consistent. I used the same setup when shooting both. I would really like to find a premium bullet/load that I can use for both whitetail and elk. Since the core-lokts shoot well out of my gun, I was thinking about sticking with a Rem load, and going with the 160 gr Swift A-Frame. Should I expect similar results by sticking with rem loads, or does the bullet have more of an impact on how they shoot? Any A-Bolt owners (particularly in 7mm mag) out there that have found a good shooting premium factory load?

rather_be_huntin 08-05-2005 01:20 PM

RE: Factory loads for Browning A-Bolt - 7mm Mag

Try 160 gr partitions. I don't have an a-bolt but my 7 mag loves em.

James B 08-05-2005 01:25 PM

I would try the Remington load with their newer bonded corlokt or whatever they call it. The Nosler Partition load is also a good option. I think Federal loads them. The corlokt itself is not a bad choice as many elk have been taken with them. I have never had a problem with them on anything.

bob roberts 08-05-2005 03:01 PM

fillae - your gun will most likely show a preference (accuracy) for certain factory loads, regardless of who manufactures them. if i am not mistaken, all factory cartridges are manufactured to SAMI specifications, so the one made by federal will fit a remington firearm, same for win, sako, etc. you particular rifle may show a preference (accurate)for federal or rem, or win manufactured cartridges. the only way you can be sure is to purchase a few different brands, with the type bullets you want, and shoot them out of YOUR rifle. it takes some time, and some money, but you can find the cartridge/bullet that shoot best from your gun. good luck.

Mr. Longbeard 08-05-2005 05:03 PM

How bad do the Accubonds shoot???:eek:

heinz57 08-05-2005 05:11 PM

too bad u did not get the BOSS on ur rifle to tune in ur load ..i have an a-bolt in a 300wsm and my best poi is with a 180 gr. accubond winchester , with the SWEET SPOT at [1]

skeeter 7MM 08-05-2005 06:08 PM

Try the 160 swift a frame that remington offer, seeing you've had success with their ammo in the past. I wouldn't reccomend the 140gr Corelokt Ultra as the next choice to try though..not what I would consider a good choice for the likes of elk. Others you can try are:
Federal Premium 140 or 160 Nosler Partition or TBBC's & 160 Barnes TSX.
Winchester Supreme 160 CT Accubond (have seen whereCT does shoot better thanNosler (and vice versa)...so you never know! 140 or 160 gr Failsafe.

Budriser 08-05-2005 11:20 PM

Try Federals 160 gr. TSX (Barnes Triple Shock). They shoot well, with kick a@# knock down power! Their about $30.00 a box!