Why haven't we had this argument in a couple weeks? What's up? :D:D:D:D:D" />

Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

270...elk cartridge?

Old 07-29-2005, 12:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 270...elk cartridge?

I'm with EKM on the big gun for a big job.

I would love to hunt elk with a .458 lott,but money being money I will have to doit with my .338 win mag and my .416 rem Mag.

BBJ
Old 07-30-2005, 01:32 PM
Boone & Crockett

IFyou use good bullets, Partition, X bullet or Grand Slam and IF you can hit where you aim, You will have NO PROBLEM killing elk with the 270/280. In fact thay will kill elk as well as anything out there. You do your part and time has proven that the 270 will do its job. Thats a simple fact.
Old 07-30-2005, 07:04 PM

Delete
Old 07-30-2005, 08:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

RE: 270...elk cartridge? - 7/26/2005 9:14:21 PM

showPicture("7/26/2005 9:14:21 PM",0,0,0,1131541,5)

dick_cress

titleAndStar(609,0,0,false,"","")
Non Typical

[align=center][/align]
Jack O'Conner was not slouch when it came to hunting and his favorite rifle was a .270. I shouldn't enter this fracus I'm a bowhunter.

Bowhunter
Mathews FX, Archers Choice 5 pin, Quicktune 4000 fall away rest, No-Peep, Tru Fire X-Caliper release, 2213 Easton XX75, Thunderhead 100' s, Limbsavers, and Simms Modular Stabilizer and Quiver Insert, Balcom Bowsling.

dick cress, hey I just wanted to let you know that my Mathews is better than your Mathews!
Just kidding!!!!!!!!!!!
Itsjust that mygun is better than you gun is getting soold!I just had to spice it up a bit and have some fun.
I do like your bow BTW, I own the Switchback and I have shot the Legacy, LX, Outback and Switchback. never have shot your FX though, but because its a Mathews it has to be good!
Old 07-30-2005, 09:16 PM

Sorry, had to move past the messed up post....
================================================== =
IFyou use good bullets, Partition, X bullet or Grand Slam and IF you can hit where you aim, You will have NO PROBLEM killing elk with the 270/280. In fact thay will kill elk as well as anything out there. You do your part and time has proven that the 270 will do its job. Thats a simple fact.
Gotta love simplistic "facts" and 100% "blanket statements" as it makes for real easy thinkin' an' not many concerns regarding limitations, exceptions, and other issues, of course that might muddy the waters a bit......
================================================== ==

Last year, Colorado had it's best elk harvest in years.... the success rate crawled up from 22%to a whopping 25%.....

So's here's jes a leetle assurance fer sum folks thet may choosede simplistic route.....
================================================== ==

Now I knows yer not plannin' on being one of the 3 outta 4 fellers thet don't cut musturd an' ends up goin's home empt' handed. Don't y'all's concern yersef--- ther's nuttin'to it, givethe whole thingno big nevermind, grab yer stuff, load up the truck, grab yer favorite closet ironwith the best bullet theys got avail'ble downst at the general store, 'n jus head for 'dem elk woods'n give 'em hell ---we's jus sure y'all's'll do jes'fine!

Just so's y'all know,they's gonstbejust a few folk out in thethem thar elk woods with y'allthet gonst tobe gunnin' to stackthe odds in their favor at every corner and in every waythey know how--- them'en's gonna be what they call yer competition ---so's just leaveany concerns aboutbothersome huntin' n' shoot'n details that may requirea leetleheavy thinkin'to them'n's folks an' mos' likely they'll be glad to take care of it, 'stead youhavin's ta worry yerself 'bout it--- donst worry yersef none, theys usually reasonably nice folks though, I reckon they'll probably be glad to say "hi"at the trailhead (as they're coming out).

In any case,y'all probably will have aright finetime up thar indem elk woods, asthey's allayslots of beautiful scenery to look at ya know and camaraderie among friends is always a goodly thing alongst wit a camp fire 'n a bit o' libation. Yep, thet thar simplistic and 100% "got it covered" route is a right fine way ta go after dem elk.
=================================================

Good luck,
EKM
Old 07-30-2005, 09:50 PM
Boone & Crockett

Well it does help to see an elk and of course you can't kill what you can't find. However hitting an a
elk in the right spot with the 270 stacks the odds very heavy in your favor. No rifle of any caliber and no amount of practice will kill an elk that you can't find. When I speak of final results I consider the fact that things have to go right up to that point. I quess I need to make those things more clear to some. A lifetime can go into the preperation of an elk hunt for some. As you say the killing part is easy. 270 or 378 Weatherby. Going into the field with a rifle that you can shoot, one with plenty of power to reach the vitals, one you have confidence in and has proved itself to be a good cartridge for a good hunter is very important. The hunter has to decide which rifle that is, or which bow that is. I have helped several hunting buddies dress out the elk they killed with their 270 and 260's and believe me, they were very dead.So far I have not seen an elkor any other animal well hit with the 270 that didn't go down PDQ.

This said, I certainly won't argue with anyone who has a weapon they would rather use or have more faith in. I will leave them alone and they can leave me alone. Like many of you, I won't be convinced that things I have done and seen are not doable and repetable.
Old 07-30-2005, 11:33 PM

Again,
Gotta love simplistic "facts" and 100% "blanket statements."
Old 07-30-2005, 11:56 PM
Boone & Crockett

Your right. The point I am trying in vain to make is that once the work is done, you have made your stalk or set your ambush, you have a good shooting position and you just need to finish the shot, its simple and any number of calibers will do the job. The getting to that point is job of the hunter and what he is packing for a weapon does not make a man a hunter. Thats as simple as I can make it. Its simple because I have left all the preperation for another post. Whatever the heck you are talking about can be made as simple or complicated as you want to make it. The question was the capability of the weapon, in this case the 270. What I have seen of the 270 is pretty impressive. Maybe you have seen or expirenced something else. I can only speak from my own hunting trips and those which I have been along on.
Old 07-31-2005, 12:19 AM
Boone & Crockett

Well forget about this .270 thing we got bows into the mix now.

And those dreaded "M" bows to boot.

Yeah, sure, when the limbs aren't blowing up or those dang Zebra strings aren't streching through two counties sure one MIGHT get lucky with one every now and then.

If you want a real bow at least step up to a Hoyt or you could step up to a Bowtech and be the ultimate hunter.

Old 07-31-2005, 08:42 AM

Again,
Gotta love simplistic "facts" and 100% "blanket statements."

None of these items are"finding the game"nor stalking nor "getting into position"issues, they are cartridge restriction issues, and glaringly absent from the so called "facts" as presented.....

** No mention of bullet weight (go heavy for caliber)
** No mention of range limitation (great long range deer gun (270)ain't a great long range elk gun).
** No mention of shot angle/penetration limitations (no shoulders, no rakes, maybe no head on's)
** No mention of skeletal structure avoidance issues (best if perfect broadsides only, avoid the shoulder).

Nope, these possibly "foriegn-issues-to-the-newbie"werejust swept under the carpet of the "100% simplistic facts and blanket statement" talk.....

So Johnny Greenhorn reads our fine thread here and thenloads up and heads for the elk hills based on the lovely, simplistic "facts" as given, actually finds his elk on the last day of the seasonand bears down on him using the same assumptions/experiencesthat have always served him so well when killing southern whitetail withhis 270 all these years (when the situation he ran intowas really ashot-set up on a bull elkthat wouldbe better handleda "bigger stick")and poor Johnny ends up headingback home empty handed and broken hearted and half sick at loosing him wondering.....
"What was the rest of the story someone didn't tell me?" "Why did my "do-it-all-back-home 270 fail me?" "While itwas not my absolute favorite shot setup, I've busted plenty of deer with that shot and I hit him right where I aimed....why, why, why.... damn Internet anyway"

Yep, thet thar simplistic and 100% "got it covered" route is a right fine way ta go after dem elk.

Quick Reply: 270...elk cartridge?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.