Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Opinions on Barnes Triple Shock Projectiles on Big Game . >

Opinions on Barnes Triple Shock Projectiles on Big Game .

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Opinions on Barnes Triple Shock Projectiles on Big Game .

Old 07-18-2013, 06:12 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Savage_99
Anyone,

Show me an exit wound from an X bullet that hit a deer broadside in the heart - lung area.
Here's the entrance and exit wounds in a 5 pt bull elk shot with a 168gr TSX bullet from my .300 Weatherby at 3290 fps. The bullet went in just behind the right shoulder and exited just behind his left shoulder. The top arrows point to the holes in the ribs, and the bottom arrows point to the holes in his hide.
Entrance

Exit

Also, here's a Blackbuck Antelope that I shot in Texas with a 168 gr TSX bullet from my .300 Weatherby. He was quartering to me, and the bullet entered the front of his right shoulder, and the exit can be seen just in front of his left hip.
Old 07-18-2013, 09:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

btw wouldn't a 140gr tsx out penetrate a 140 NP? not sure you have to go to the 160's.

either way I like TSX bullets, so far so good! had more problems with other bullets.
Old 07-22-2013, 06:34 PM
Fork Horn

I shoot the 150gr TSX in the 280AI which is ballistically on par to the RSAUM. With Barnes bullets being 100% copper they are longer than the same weight jacketed bullet. They will retain almost 100% of their weight and will penetrate deeper than most traditional bullet designs.
Old 07-30-2013, 07:19 AM
Fork Horn

Last couple years been using the TTSX but been using regular TSX for quite some time never lost an animal an only one has ran more then one step and that deer made it less then 20 yards and accuracy is too notch I'm a die hard Barnes fan
Old 08-02-2013, 09:12 PM
Spike

The old sectional density minimum of .160 for Elk went out the window with the Barnes X bullet. Randy Brooks claims excellent results from his 340 weatherby with 185 gr. Bullets.
I shot an antelope further away than I want to talk about with a 140 gr. X bullet in 1989 from a 7 mm rem mag. complete pass through and perfect entry and exit wounds.
I am currently shooting accubonds (I got a great deal on a good quantity,great bullets)but when they run out I am going to try the TSX and ttsx in both my 340 and my 300 wsm.
when Barnes first came out the had a reputation for copper fouling but that was pretty much solved with the TSX by reducing the bearing surface. I am sure some people will have issues with them like everything else.
Old 08-08-2013, 04:00 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Tim Buma
Welcome some feedback on Barnes Triple Shocks.

Currently I'm using Nosler Partitions in 7mm SAUM
140 Gr. For use on Mid-large size game. (Red Stag, Tahr, Chamois, Rams, Goats, Bear, Ibexetc.)
Toying with the idea of going to Barnes Triple shock in 160 gr, to give a little more punch on the bigger animals e.g. Elk.
Interested in your experience with these projectiles.

A lot of my shooting is at Mid-long range (e.g. 250-350 yards.)
Since using Barnes TTSX I haven't seen an animal go more than 40 m and that includes a red stag my brother shot in the back leg quartering into the gut. I've shot kangaroo, tahr, red deer and sambar deer with them and would never use anything else again.