Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Need help for Colorado elk hunt.. >

Need help for Colorado elk hunt..

Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Need help for Colorado elk hunt..

Old 07-08-2005, 10:00 AM

Default Need help for Colorado elk hunt..

I am going on my secon trip to Gunnison National Forest this year to hunt. I need as much advise as possible. I found elk 2 years a go, but I was a rookie who stumbled upon them and didnt really know how to hunt these beautiful animals. I have read the tips on the top of this page, but I need some info on finding elk in Colorado. There are plenty of Aspens and oak brush. Do I need to focus on water holes or just walk until I find sign..? I need help.. I want this to bea great trip! I surely dont want to do something stupid. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-08-2005, 10:58 AM

Default RE: Need help for Colorado elk hunt..

A lot depends on what seasonyour are hunting, get a good topo map, and my first tip is make sure your in great shape, get off jeep and ATV trails and hike back into area's that are not easy to get to. I'm sure some of the guys have great tips as well, read books, and mag articles, talk to knowledgable elk hunters in your area. Learn how to use cow calls, and what gear to have in your day pack, weather is very unpredictable out here in Colorado, know what to carry and what not to carry. Learn the lay of the land before you get here, I hope you get a lot of folks sharing advice with you..

Dr. Mike
Old 07-08-2005, 11:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

In my mind elk need 3 basic things to survive.
1.Food
2.Water
3. Security
Elk do not like traffic,they also like the easiest routs to and from,food,cover and water.
If you can find a drainige,pocket of timber that offers this you will find elk.
Look at posible areas that are on you map,go back to where you "stumbled" apon them look at what direction they were coming from,where they pushed or did you just walk into them.Look at the area on your map and locate posible bedding or security areas.
Then hike into them and look for sign,find fresh or old will determin how long ago elk where in that area.
also don't be afraid to look at areas where others have passed,most hunters mentality is you gotta go high,so everyone gose by good cover to get on top.You never know,I once seen a guy shoot a 6 point bull at the start of a logging road about 1/4 from it.Everyone was driving by to get up high and here this bull just watched them drive by while he waited for dark to come out and feed and water.Only problem he left 2 sets of tracks one night that my uncle saw,so he followed.
So never pass up the ovious(sp)
Good luck
BBJ
Old 07-08-2005, 10:49 PM

Bow or rifle?
Early or late?
High or low?
Old 07-09-2005, 10:53 AM

We will be bowhunting during the first full week of the season. We will be about 10,000 ft up, with the highest tops probably being about 11-1200ft (I think).

Also, do elk move to different areas for morning and evening or do they follow the same pattern from day to day? I saw the majority of my elk in the evening, but only 1 small cow in the morning.

SO I need to find the thick cover that allows them to move to and from water and food... Sounds a lot like whitetail deer. Thanks for all of the advice guys... Please keep it coming. I really want to harvest one of these beautiful creatures. My wife and I could realy use the meat as well!!
Old 07-09-2005, 02:16 PM
Fork Horn

Since you are going that early in the season it should be hot. My preference would be to go high EARLY! and glass...if you can get above them you will be in a good position when the warm air starts uphill.Then you can hunt down to them and be in (at least) a better wind positionThis is a good time of year to hunt water. It doesn't have to be alot. Some are obvious and others couild be just a small seep in the timber and they will head for timber. Look for sign in dark cool areas that may only have a little water.......WIND???? is tough to stay ahead of but be ever concious about it.Whitetail they are not .They may move from food to water but not typicly in the same area..... Hard to pattern. They may feed and water in one area one day and be two or three miles away the next.
Good Luck!!!!
Bill
Old 07-10-2005, 04:00 PM

What part of ark are you from, i am from Magnolia and moved here in 2000 and i am staying.Send me an e-mail for more info about Gunnison i live in Mt. Crested Butte.
Old 07-11-2005, 07:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Have you found any wallows in your hunting? Should be productive sitting over a wallow in the afternoons. If you are huning early, and find some active wallows, I would sure give them a try.
Old 07-11-2005, 07:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've hunted unit 67 many years. Is that possibly the area you'll be hunting? If so, I could give ya some pointers as to where to look!! We hunt on the west side of Sawtooth Mtn.!
Old 07-12-2005, 07:16 AM

I am not sure whicj units we will be hunting. Not that familiar with them to tell you the truth. I know we are at the X lazy F Ranch in Gunnison National Forest. We are very close to Curecanny Ranch. I would appreciate any advice anyone could give me about this area. Thanks in advance.
This site is amazing!!!

Quick Reply: Need help for Colorado elk hunt..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.