Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Thinking about hunting elk for first time... >

Thinking about hunting elk for first time...

Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Thinking about hunting elk for first time...

Old 07-04-2005, 09:23 AM
Typical Buck

Default Thinking about hunting elk for first time...

Some buddy's have asked me to go elk hunting with them, south of Pagosa Springs in Colorado, they also told me they havent seen a elk in two years>>> is it not a good place to hunt ..
Old 07-05-2005, 05:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Thinking about hunting elk for first time...

Thats a hard one to say, if your friends haven't seen a elk in 2 years it could be the area is in fact not good for elk. Or on the other handyour friends are not good(suck) at finding elk. Either way I sure I would not want to put up the money to go out of state and hunt with them. To be successful with elk hunting,you have to first know where the elkare, meaninga general area down to a couple of hundred yards that you can pin point on a map, then you can hunt them from there.Do your friendschase them with bows or rifles?
Old 07-05-2005, 09:18 AM

I wouldn't go! No way, its a horrible thing to do. Hunting elk is highly addictive. As Nancy Regan said: "Just say no!" If you try it once you'll be a junky. Nothing can cure your "jones'" but a fix of bugling in the aspens...Some Montana gold. Take it from a hardcore junky.Those elk seep into your soul.[8D]

I would strongly consider a different area or better guides.
Old 07-05-2005, 10:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

Elk are at different places at different times of the year. In winter they are down low; in warmer weather they are up high. Sometime in between they migrate from up high to down low. This sounds obvious and stupid to cite, but maybe this is your buddies's problem. I believe the Elk archery season happens early and thus the elk would be expected to be up high, around timberline, between 10,000' and 12,000'. Are your buddies hunting up high or down low? This issue plays into selection of units versus seasons. A unit may suck for archery but be great for late season, for example a low altitude unit. Similarly, another unit may be great for early hunts but not only suck but be inaccessible for late season hunts, for example a high altitude unit.
Old 07-05-2005, 10:38 AM
Dominant Buck

Alsatian, very good advice!
Old 07-05-2005, 10:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with Shato,just say no.

No realy,you have to ask your buddies how hard do they hunt,how much effort do they put in.Do they get up at 10 am and hunt till noon,and go back to camp and drink beer all day.I know some guys that call this elk hunting and every once in a blue Moon they see a elk or even kill one.

I would say go,at least once I know there is going to be money,time,and vacation involed but you buddies might have a honey hole that they never tapped.
If it don't work for you this tip put some preperation in and do a DIY hunt down the road.
BBJ
Old 07-05-2005, 04:00 PM
Typical Buck

Consider contacting the game and fish/DNR and check on their harvest reports. It'll give you an idea of how many hunters in that area get their animal. Also a phone conversation with the warden or conservation officer in that area will likely be well worth the time and cost of the call. Sometimes the forrest service employees (the ones working in the hills) can be a good source as well. If the area is not panning out to be a good one, find another one. If you want to hunt with your buddies, they might enjoy a change in scenery as well. Sometimes people get lucky, but generally elk hunting is hard work, but you have to hunt smart, as well as hard. Good luck.
Old 07-05-2005, 09:53 PM
Spike

I know that area pretty well. I think the problem is that they are hunting too low. Also, most land south of Pagosa is either private or Indian Reservation.

I would suggest hunting on the north end of Pagosa Springs. Alot higher country with alot of forest service land.

Are you going for a bull or a cow? If your not picky, you might try to get a left-over cow tag. This way you don't spend so much money on an elk hunt that might not turn out very well.
Old 07-06-2005, 11:18 AM

I agree. If you do it once, you will most likely love it and want to do it every year. I have been for about 6 years without a kill. I look forward to the next yearfrom the trip home. Unfortunately my hunting buddies (dad and brother) weren't in shape and won't return to Colorado because they are wimps. I keep trying to talk someone into hunting with me. In about 10 years my boys will be old enough to be my new hunting buddies. I need new friends!!! Ones with goals in life (elk hunting). Sorry rambling on.

Tuffbroadhead, I sent you a personal message.
Old 07-06-2005, 05:25 PM
Typical Buck

I really dont know how hard these feller's hunt, I do know when it comes to deer hunting they are really serious... Just to save money on this trip I might just go and run video for them, ,for those that have asked it will be a archery hunt....

Quick Reply: Thinking about hunting elk for first time...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.