Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.
 Nosler

elk Taxidermy?

Old 07-01-2005, 09:06 AM

Default elk Taxidermy?

I got my elk back from the taxidermist yesterday. I had him mounted in a bugle pose. He looks great! The detail is terrific. You can see blood vessels bulging, tear duct flared etc. One problem though. He has his teeth bared. It kind of bothers me. I've never seen an elk bare his teeth while bugling. Now, lord knows I'm no expert. Am I mistaken? Is this a common occurance?
Old 07-01-2005, 09:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: elk Taxidermy?

Alot and I mean alot of taxadermists mount a elk with their teeth showing,sometimes it's ok and others they look like Mr.ED with horns.
The worst one I ever saw was this gal whomI was dating well her dad had shot a nice bullsometime before,he had it mounted with its mouth wide open and toung sticking out like a big ol yawn.
BBJ
Old 07-01-2005, 09:17 AM

Shato what is a bugling elk mount costing these days. I am going on my first elk hunt and have high hopes I can kill one big enough to mount.
Old 07-01-2005, 09:21 AM

My bugling elk shoulder mount cost $850. Its excellent work. It doesn't look like "mr ed". It really looks nice, the teeth just surprised me. It is very lifelike, you can almost imagine him walking out of the wall. I'm not complaining at all. I've found some Pics on the web of elk bugling and in some you definately can see their teeth.
Old 07-01-2005, 01:33 PM

I can lend some info from a taxidermist side. The taxidermist to a point must use the form as it comes to him from the supplier. The form that the elk is mounted on, comes somewhat ready to mount on. And it is the sculpters interpritation of what the elk was doing that he sculpts the forms like. You can alter forms, but it has to be within reason or you can not make any money on the mount. it is the taxidermists job though to make shure he gets forms from a company with sculpters good enough to know what anatamy they are working with. Hope this helps.
Old 07-01-2005, 03:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hey Shato,you wanna post some picks of him,I would like to see the mount.
BBJ
Old 07-01-2005, 10:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats Shato, now post those pictures I am with Bareback..I wanna see this bull too!
Old 07-01-2005, 11:47 PM

Just got mine back last month for $925 I scored it my self at 355 4/8 Non -Typical

Old 07-02-2005, 09:37 PM
Fork Horn

diverdog, you actually shot that dink????

just kidding, seriously what a bull. that wierd tine is way cool. i dont think i have ever even seen an elk with a tine like that.
is it september yet?
Old 07-03-2005, 08:33 AM
Fork Horn

Shato,
I just got mine back on Thurs. .The guy I used did an outstanding job!! I had mine done with closed mouth. Paid $625.....I think mostall of the bugling mounts I've seen have the teeth showing.I was over a guy's house last night and he had a " Bugling Bull" mount from back in the70s and it did look like Mr. Ed It was a horrible mount. He also had one done the same way but in the late 80s and it looked good.I think the artistry has come along way and you have to be good to stay in business.
Diverdog.....Is that tine REALLY?????? sticking out of the side of that Bulls head????? or am I see'in things???

Quick Reply: elk Taxidermy?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.