Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

broadheads for elk???

Old 06-28-2005, 01:58 PM

Default RE: broadheads for elk???

Muzzy 125's.
Old 06-28-2005, 11:14 PM

A simple test to see what kind of cutting you will get for a cut on contact broadhead and a 3-4 blade broadhead. Take a thick piece of leather and push the cut on contact broadhead thru, i did this with a Zwickey and it slices thru with out much effort, now try it with a 3-4 blade broadhead----------good luck, and its a good idea to wear some thick pair of gloves just in case you slip in trying to get that broadhead thru the leather, this will give you a good idea in how much energy you are losing upon impact of the broadhead getting thru the hide of the animal.
Cut on contact broadhead gets my vote!
Old 06-28-2005, 11:22 PM

ORIGINAL: RobinHood36

A simple test to see what kind of cutting you will get for a cut on contact broadhead and a 3-4 blade broadhead. Take a thick piece of leather and push the cut on contact broadhead thru, i did this with a Zwickey and it slices thru with out much effort, now try it with a 3-4 blade broadhead

I done this test and seen it at many shows/expos. The muzzy's perform just fine on that and the rubberband box test. I don't promote many of the fixed, but the Muzzy's are the exception. Sweet broadhead and flies like no other.

P.S. Try those tests with those expandables and look out. Does anyone out there really shoot expandables at Elk??
Old 06-29-2005, 11:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

Another vote for COC heads, since most are shooting 100gr bh's now a days! I am using 100gr Steelforce Premiums as well, they have performedflawlessly and group the best of any BH'd out of my current bow. A very close second was the Magnus Stingers.

I can't say anything bad about Muzzy or Thunderhead 125 gr fixed Bh's though, both have worked to harvest black bear, elk and moose in the past out my bows.
Old 07-01-2005, 01:36 PM

Thanks for the info guys. Hopfully I will get to use the ones I choose in September!!!!!!!!
Old 07-02-2005, 12:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have taken Deer, Black Bears, Buffalo,Caribou, Elk, Wild Hogs & a few other Biggame animals with a fixed blade 3 blade 125 gr.Rocky Mountain Broadhead since they came on the market in the 70s. Took a 900# Buffalo at 41 yards with a 60# Darton & got complete penetration-just a little thicker than the Elk you are going for. Complete penetration on a small Bull at 35 yards with a carbon & 3 Blade Rocky & 65# Darton. Fixed blade (my opinion)
Old 07-03-2005, 09:09 AM
Fork Horn

After months of research (thanks to all here) Hundreds of articals,web pages and reviews I think a COC head is the way to go. But which one???One problem I found was availibility....The Montec looks to be a superior design.But is expensive to get set up on and expensive to replace should you ding'em up.The WASP SharpStooter also looks to be a great design for flight and punch and would have my choice....But hard to find !!
I finally settled on the Magnus Stinger 4 bld..I could not find a bad review or adownside to this head.Shot my first pack this week and they fly great and have replacable blades,easy to find, not too expensive to replace and have a great guarantee.Others like the Muzzy Phanthoms,SteelForce Sabertooth,Magnus Snuffer or Buzzcut also fit the bill .But couldn't find locally or even some major mail order companies were on back order.That could be a problem in a jam??
Just my two pesos.
Bill
Old 07-03-2005, 12:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

I tested out the 125 grain NAP Crossfires, I was very dissapointed with the durability of them. Yes they do fly like darts out of my setup, but when testing I had them bend on me, just below the cartridge where they screw into the insert and they touch the arrow shaft. Two weekends ago my hunting partner and I, when camping and scouting were shooting our arrows into soft dirt with a few small rocks. I know that it's not the best backstop but I wanted to see how the new heads could take a beating. I also had a few thunderheads and muzzys to try out and compare, which is what I havehunted within the past. WellI only shot the crossfire5 times into the dirt until it bent on me. We shot the muzzys and thunderheadsat least 30 plus timeseach into the same dirt with no major damage to the heads. The very tips did get deformed on both of them.And one of the blades on the muzzy did chip after about 20 or so shots. I'll take a pic with my digital camera of the crossfire to let everyone see what I am talking about. Yes I know I will not be shooting into rocks and dirt when elk hunting but I worry about hitting major bone and having the broadhead bend like it did on me. With the crossfire, the cartridge itself seems to be built like fort knox (sp?) but it is supported by, (i.e. spining on)a toothpick. I agree with the COC for elk but if you have enough KE then there is nothing wrong with a fixed 3 blade head.

Old 07-03-2005, 04:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Old 07-05-2005, 02:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

I looked at those heads back when I bought my bow,they looked to much like a golf ball and I hate anything assorted to golf.

I realy like the stingers,I hope you get to use them,as I hope to use mine.
BBJ

Quick Reply: broadheads for elk???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.