Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Headed to dog town!

Old 06-21-2005, 02:40 PM

Default Headed to dog town!

Well guys I'm heading out to shoot some of the fury little critters this weekend. You all might recall an earlier post where I said that the rancher who had always welcomed us decided to start charging. Well we decided not to return there. We're going to hunt some public land instead. We decided to avoid the possibility of a crowd by not going on our normal July 4th time table. Oh Well, start a new tradition I recon. I've got a thousand or so rounds loaded up and it wouldn't hurt my feelings if I burnt the barrel up on my 223. I like seeing those fur balls go poof. Maybe I'll improve my personal best of 524 yards. Theres a lot of luck involved at those ranges though.
Old 06-21-2005, 05:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Headed to dog town!

I just went on my second shoot last weekend here in CO., and will be going to WY. in 3 weeks to do it all again. I just picked up a new 17HMR, after seeing what one could do on P-dogs. That will ease the reloading strain for my 22-250 and .243. You certainly do go through a lot of ammo., and I'm like you, just love to see them catch some air.
Hope ya have fun. Where ya going to shoot?
Old 06-22-2005, 09:04 AM

I just got back from south western south dakota last weekend. Had fun, but had trouble finding good shooting. the rancher we were at last year didn't have squat and the road to his ranch was washed out. It took an extra hour of driving round to get into his house.

The Buffalo Gap National Grasslands are pretty shot out already. It also was extremely hot (the digital thermometer read 115 degrees in the sun, high 90's in the shade. If it wasn't hot, it was cloudy with a thirty mph wind. Guess we got the wrong weekend this year.

Had some decent shooting on some private land on the last day, but it was still to hot, the dogs didn't even want to come out.

17 hmr's work well, but don't try to reach to far with them. Just like anything, if you hit them right, you can reach out quite a bit farther. Our record for a 17 hmr so far is 333 yrds. We checked it with a range finder and still didn't believe it so we walked it. It was a chest shot. The critter just fell over. Neat shot other than for the rest of the weekend all we heard was 3-3-3. the guy had trouble connecting with the 223 he brought, but he made that shot with his 17. We started calling him the pregnant sow (gestation period of 3 months 3 weeks and 3 days) after listening to 3-3-3 several times.

have fun and good luck finding good shooting, I wish you the best.
Old 06-27-2005, 02:21 PM

Well we had a decent shoot. Found a couple of towns that hadn't been shot up. I probably shot close to a thousand rounds in two days. I think my 223 needs a new shilen barrel now. dang the luck[8D]
Old 06-28-2005, 04:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds like ya did alright. I never go to shoot p-dogs with any thing less than three rifles, 'cause barrel heating is always an issue!!
Old 06-29-2005, 05:49 AM
Dominant Buck

P-dogs are big game where y'all live ?
Old 06-29-2005, 07:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well.... they look BIG when you peer through a scope set on 16X to 24X
Old 06-29-2005, 08:00 AM

They're practice for big game.
Old 06-29-2005, 08:44 AM

ORIGINAL: Howler

Sounds like ya did alright. I never go to shoot p-dogs with any thing less than three rifles, 'cause barrel heating is always an issue!!
No doubt. Had three myself. Its this 223's second trip. Its my favorite so I might have been a little tough on it.
Old 06-29-2005, 08:47 AM

ORIGINAL: kevin1

P-dogs are big game where y'all live ?
I live in missouri. You? P-dogs aren't big game, but they are big fun. Good way to knock the rust off you marksmanship skillsafter a long dry spell in preperation for this fall. sorry if it bothered you. I just like chatting with the guys who frequent this forum, about a melody of subjects.