Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 My wife drew a moose tag, we need some help? >

My wife drew a moose tag, we need some help?

Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.
 Nosler

My wife drew a moose tag, we need some help?

Old 06-21-2005, 12:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default My wife drew a moose tag, we need some help?

My wife drew a Moose tag in a area that I archery hunt elk. We have seenmoose in this area but have never hunted them. I know this area well. Has anyone hunted them in the past? Do you know of any good videos that can help us out? Just looking for a few pointers.

Thanks,

Wolf Killer
Old 06-21-2005, 04:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: My wife drew a moose tag, we need some help?

wolf, I never had a chance to hunt moose as I haven't gotten drawn in 5 yrs.of trying. That would be my dreamhunt. I see them almost every time I go into the bush and occasionally see the odd one or signs here in my yard. There real name is a "swamp donkey", meaning they like the water, so get some topos, ect., and find the hidden water holes and you will see signs easily if they are in the general areaand get there way before day break. Good luck.
This imformation will cost you a piece of back strap.
Bobby
Old 06-21-2005, 04:05 PM

What State and Unit did your wife draw in? I drew a moose permit in 2000 and hunted quite hard for mine. Looked over approximately 35 bulls in my unit before I dropped the hammer on one. Depending on the terrain and area I may be able to give you some pointers.

BTW - congratulations to your wife...it might be a good omen. I put in for a few years and gave up. My wife put in and drew, then I drew. Maybe she will bring you good luck
Old 06-22-2005, 08:07 PM

Wolf killer,

Will she (your wife) be hunting with a rifle or bow?

If you know the area it sounds like you havehalf the battle won.

As I am sure you are aware of they like water.
Check here for some Moose hunting info.
http://www.outdoorsdirectory.com/hunting.htmbooks videos etc.

I have been lucky to harvest several moose in Canada. I keep on trying for my tag in Montana.

Until I get drawn I will continue to drive my wife crazy with my calling.

Good luck,
Old 06-22-2005, 09:27 PM
Fork Horn

Learn to call my friend. Moose will call in fairly easy (right time of year) like a elk. I usually camp far away from my hunting site, however visit it the NIGHT befor I hunt and call two to three times. If you can do this do so at 12-02:00am. I know it sounds like a little much but moose , like everything else, are most active at night. I have done this several times while guiding and hunting and have returned the next morning to find Bull sign within feet of my calling site. Also the bull (if not already with a cow) will stay in the area and come to your calls. Good luck