HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Big Game Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting-6/)
-   -   Getting Closer (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting/103395-getting-closer.html)

Rebel Dog 06-20-2005 12:23 PM

Getting Closer

You guys have helped me tremendously in planning my hunt of a life time and I am seeking more info. Well so far I am going to BC to hunt Goats and Mule Deer and have worked out my outfitter and have bought a new 300 Ultra mag to take along. Here is where I'm stumped I am getting ready to put a Leupold 4.5 x 14 on it and I can't decide on a 40mm lense or a 50mm since I have never been north of the border I am not sure which would be best? any advice.

BareBack Jack 06-20-2005 12:44 PM

RE: Getting Closer

The 40 will do you just fine,the 50 would gather alittle more light.
What load are you going with in that 300?
BBJ

121553 06-20-2005 01:06 PM

Vari X 11 40mm is plenty. The 50mm tends to get up to high above the barrel. Bobby

skeeter 7MM 06-20-2005 01:17 PM

On 300RUMpersonally the lowest mount I could use the better, so agree the 40mm. It will present no problems for your hunting in terms of light gathering.

ShatoDavis 06-21-2005 09:47 AM

Rebel,
whereabouts are you going in B.C.? Its a beautiful place. Rugged rugged mountains, glacier fed rivers.... Amazing. I would go with a 40mm objective. It allows you to use a medium or short set of rings. The scope will be in a more natural position. Why the 4.5 x 14?I hope it isn't an adjustable objective. AO's are perfect for prairie dogs but not in the mountains. I personally use a Leupold VX III in 2.5- 8 x 36mm. Its plenty of scope for me, but thats a personal thing I suppose. The 300 ultra is a thumper, on both ends; good cartridge though. best of luck!

Rebel Dog 06-21-2005 11:19 AM

Shato, I was going to get back with you, yourguidence helped alot I called Atchesons and am in the process of booking through them. It is in Southern BC the Goats I think get up around 10 1/2" but I wanted the opportunity at a second animal. The country seems beautiful and there wasn't a float plane which I would have rather used that cash elseware. Still it is a 10 day hunt

So you use a 2.5 x 8 for 300 yard shots? I was under the impression I would need it. Ihave used a VXIII 3 x 9 on my 30-06 for years but we just don't get the long shots here in the east.

I am having a muzzle brake installed on the rifle this weekend for $200 The gun smith put one on my buddies and it reduced recoil a bunch. altough it is still load

ShatoDavis 06-21-2005 11:35 AM

Rebel,

Yep, I use the 2.5 -8 almost exclusively (only exception being varmint guns). Interestingly it rarely comes off of 2.5 except at the range. Now, I'm not saying that you should. Thats a personal thing for certain. Go with what you feel comfortable with. If you are used to a 3 -9 I wouldn't haveany hesitation using it. Its important in my eyes that I'm so used to the equipment that it is almost like second nature.

Listen, I hear folks say that they need higher powered scopes to make longer shots all the time. If You're talking Prairie dogs or much longer ranges then I agree. Under realistic hunting situation I say bunk. My father has always hunted with a 1.5 x 5 leupold. Its an odd looking dude. Yet, he still impresses me with some of the shots he is able to make with it. I think you are more likely to have problems aquiring your target with a higher power scope than you are to be under scoped with a 3-9 or 2.5-8. If you do buy the 4-14 by all means set it on the lower setting when hunting. If your target is far away you have time to dial up, but if its up close you rarely have time to dial down.

What outfitter did you settle on? If you used Atcheson I'm convinced that you are in good hands. Just curious if I know them.

Rebel Dog 06-21-2005 12:13 PM

You know I am going to go this weekend and shoot my 3 x 9 down some power lines and see how it feels. It stands to reason I have never had it above 4 x in a huntin situation.

Let me finalize the paper work and I will let you know. Thanks

skeeter 7MM 06-21-2005 12:43 PM

I agree with shato's advice 3x9 is plenty of power for biggame hunting needs.I also don't see a benefit to an adustable objectived on a biggame hunting set up either. I have vast opening in my home province of saskatchewan and can only remember a few times were I maxed my power to take a shot on a biggame animal, in most cases it sits@ 6 powerand if moves it is down when in the field!

handloader1 06-21-2005 10:53 PM

I would go with the 40mm objective. Good luck.