Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 "Patiently" awaiting results >

"Patiently" awaiting results

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

"Patiently" awaiting results

Old 06-19-2005, 09:27 PM

Default "Patiently" awaiting results

We're supposed to know the results of New Mexico's big game draw by the 22nd of this month. My friend and I put in for an archery elk hunt. I'm about jumping out of my skin awaiting the results. I've never been elk hunting before, and I wouldn't have it any other way than an early season bowhunt. Hopefully we can draw a tag. If we do, I'm sure I'll flood this forum with a million questions, but until then all I can do is wait and dream about it. Good luck to all that still are awaiting their results from other states and hunts, and congratulations to all that drew this year for whatever they put in for. This is all new to me, so I can't imagine what some of you that have been trying for several years to draw are feeling.
Old 06-19-2005, 10:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: "Patiently" awaiting results

I feel for ya. I am in the same boat. I am waiting to see if I drew for a late season mule deer tag in a trophy area. I took 2 guys last year, and we killed two dandies, but there were many to be had. The hardest part of this hunt is getting the tag!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-19-2005, 10:33 PM
Typical Buck

Bill----How did you pay? Guys are reporting that their credit cards are having charges post to them last week. Check out your Visa card. I have not heard of any rifle hunters with charges yet but plenty of black powder & archery hits. CB Good luck
Old 06-20-2005, 07:47 PM

Bill I know your pain. I was lucky enough to draw a rifle tag on the Jicarilla Indian Reservation near Chama New Mexico. I was on pins and needles before their draw. I found out in mid-May I had drew a tag. If you don't draw, check out the Jicarilla web site they may have a few tags left. I think they have archery only tags, and then the rifle tags are good for archery also.They aren't the cheapest tags going, but they aren't the most expensive either. You just buy the tag, and no state huntinglicense or other fees. The thing I liked about it, I drew the first time trying. The chances of drawing on the Jicarilla are a little better than the regular state lottery.
Old 06-20-2005, 08:10 PM
Boone & Crockett

Good luck. I have never gone through what you guys do when you wait for drawings for tags. I have a hard enough time waiting for my doe tags to come in the mail...
Old 06-22-2005, 10:43 PM

Finally!! As you can see by the exclamation, it was a sucess! A co-worker(who extended the invite) and I drew archery tags for Unit 2 in north-northwestern New Mexico. I don't even know where to begin with this... I've been hunting whitetails with my bow for 17 yrs., but I can't guess as to what this experience will be like. I doubt I'll sleep for a couple of nights guessing about all the sights and sounds that we're in for, the mountains, scenery, animals, wow!!! The main thing is that this will just plain be awesome, wether we're successful or not!!! (If you can't tell, I'm on cloud nine). BTW, this will be a DIY hunt, and like I said before, I'm sure I'll post quite a few "novice/newby" questions, so bear with me. I already started by reading the post on elk hunting tips. Thanks to everyone for the info!!!
Old 06-23-2005, 03:05 PM

Bill when is your hunt scheduled. Are you driving or flying out. Like I said I drew a rifle tag and will be out there October 4 thru the 11. I booked a motel in Chama NM. I would have liked having someone to go with me, but my buddies couldn't swing it this year. That forced me into flying out which adds a whole lot of headaches to prepare for. I was watching the Knight and Hale show this week on the Outdoor Channel, and the had a elk hunt on the Jicarilla where I'm going. It comes on here tommorrow at 4:00 pm.. You talk about something that will give you sleepless nites watch that program to get a taste of what to expect.
Old 06-23-2005, 05:14 PM

Super7,
Our season runs Sept. 1-22. We are going to drive out from Wisconsin, just not sure when. My friend's brother and some guys he knows have been going out for a long time, so he knows more than I do. I think we're going to play it by ear as to when we leave, depending on weather and how the rut is working out, etc. We're planning on camping(both of us are on a limited budget), like I said I just don't know where yet.
Old 06-24-2005, 09:50 AM

Bill-Congrats! I have hunted NW in the Zuni mountains but not unit 1. Where is it located? One thing you will need is a forest service map that shows private and public land. There is a ton of private land and it is like a checkerboard with much of the private posted. My advice is to study the map carefully and find steep slopes off the forest roads. Climb straight up to the top where most hunters will avoid the effort. Go up well before first light and use a mini light covered by your hand if there is no moon. I have killed huge bulls and a few cows with my bow doing that. Anyway you should see animals and hopefully can figure out a pattern before the end of your hunt. Lots of springs where I hunt so water holes may or may not produce. Look for scrapes and wallows and sit there in the evenings. I am sure you will spend a lot of time imagining the hunt but sounds like you will have little or no scouting time. Have fun and get in shape.

Glen