Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 What makes for a successful hunt? >

What makes for a successful hunt?

Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

What makes for a successful hunt?

Old 06-26-2005, 08:33 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: What makes for a successful hunt?

For me, I have never had a non-successful hunt. I've come home empty handed a few times, but they have all been fun and I have good memories from all of them over the past 31 or so years of hunting.

That is especially true not that I have now started hunting with my family. My wife and older son now hunt and our newest son, he is 5, goes with us to. While having my family along limits my longest walks that I am used to taking, I wouldn't change my experience with them for anything. My wife missed a very big 6x6 year before last that she still whines about.

Teaching my boys how to track, smell, stalk, shoot, dress animals...it is all an experience that has been a dream of mine for many years. My youngest has even started teaching himself how to cow call. And he doesn't mind checking elk poop for freshness. He can't wait for the day when he can go out in the field with me for real...neither can I.

We usuallyget toour spotabout a week before season starts. Set up camp, bring water, get groceries, cut wood for the fire and generally just get excited and make plans for the upcoming hunt. No computer, no work, no neighbors, and no worries.
Old 06-27-2005, 10:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

For me its simple, justhaving the opportunityto go hunting makes is successful. This may sound foolish, but in 1998, I broke 4 veterbrae in my back, almost died and was very fortunate to not have my spinal cord severed. With a 5 inch titianium plate, 5 screws and t-7 through t-11 fused and plated It was hunting that drove and motivatedme to get back on my feet and back in the mountains. Afterabout 20days in the hospitalI got out of on Oct 20th fully equiped in a turtle shell I had to wear for the next six months. I couldnt walk15 feetthe day I got home without being totally exhuasted. Each day I got up and walked and walked,literally starting with baby steps. By November 1 when whitetail season opened I begged my neuro surgeon to allow me to go whitetail hunting. All I wanted to do was to get to hunt. He agreed as long as I ....only did the shooting and not the packing. Each day I would gain more and more strength from pushing myself to walk harder and fruther than the previous day. I would oftenpack a lunch and sleep in the woods for 3 and 4 hours at a time. I was off work so I just lived out in the November timber every day.

On Nov 12, after 12 days of snailing around in the woods...while taking a seat along an old traditional scrape line, two whitetail does snuck by me first at 12 yards. They had no idea I was there, then stepped in a beautiful 135 class 4x5 whitetail. With my little 223 ( the only rifle I could handle shooting at the time) I put the 55 grain nozzler through both lungs. I watched him tumble 50 yards away. That was a very emotional day, not because I killed a buck, but because I realized just how much hunting really meant to me. I was very close to not being on the earth just a month and a half earlier. My brother about crapped when I got back to the ranch and told him, Rob, I need your help. I got a good buck down. He had stayed home that morning because it was downpouring when I left before daylight.

Yup for me a successful hunt is just getting to go.
Old 06-28-2005, 01:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

shed33:

Your story is stirring. We are blessed if we are fortunate enough to have our health. Along your lines, we are lucky if we can go out to hunt. Many have no hunting grounds on which to hunt. Others may not have the time or money to go hunting. Indeed, when we step into the woods with a weapon in our hands and a valid tag in our pocket or backpac, we are lucky!