Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

I am up to 40lbs

Old 06-15-2005, 07:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default I am up to 40lbs

Well, I am up to 40lbs in my pack now. I walked a mile today in my jeans and boots and longsleeved shirt (much like I would be wearing during hunting season). I know I have drawn either desert sheep or elk, because the charge is DEFINATELY on my credit card, though I am not sure which it is, and I have not received any notification as of yet. I know my dad an I did not draw deer, as he recieved an email this morning saying we hadn't. Oh well, that gives me more time to concentrate on what I did draw. And either way, I hope to be up to 60 lbs by September to be in shape for whichever tag I drew!!
Old 06-15-2005, 08:50 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: I am up to 40lbs

Fill me in why so much weight??
Are you back packing in to high country???
60 lbs seems like alot?
Old 06-15-2005, 09:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

The area's I applied for for each don't have many roads for a few miles. There are places that have up to 5-6 miles (or more in certain spots) between roads. On top of that, the areas I have applied for (Northern Nevada - Jarbidge area for elk) and (central Nevada) for sheep, have very rough, rocky, and steep terrain. This will inevitably require me to pack an animal out entirely on my back (whichever it may be). I will hunt with my daypack, and then if I get one down, will get it cleaned out and prepped, then get back to the vehicle and get my backpack, and pack the meat out. And also, even when I get up to that weight and can hike consistently with it with no problems in similar terrain, I will be that much better in shapeeven before I get an animal down. Even at60 lbs, I would have to make about 3 trips for an elk, if I were by myself.

I also put about 65 pounds in my pack today and put it on to see how it feels. I should be able to do that much weight with no problem, but will have to work up to it as far as walking any distance goes. I amalso trying to prepare myself mentally and physically to be able to take care of an animal by myself in a worst case sinerio. I should have plenty of help, and who knows, Imay actually shoot something 200 yds above the pick-up, but I would rather prepare for the worsethan the other way around and be up that creek without a paddle if I get onedown in a bad spot.

Old 06-15-2005, 09:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

CB, my hats off to ya for getting ready. I have been cycling about 100 miles a week to get the legs ready. I have been packing bear bait all spring so the weight is no problem. I have the darndest luck when it comes to killing things in the worst places. But i guess thats why the animals are there, few want to push the limits to get at them.
Old 06-15-2005, 09:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

I was cycling up to about 5 miles a day a while back, then the weather started getting crappy, so I kinda lost interest in it. I will probably start alternating days between walking with weight, and then bicycling. I don't like to run if I don't have to. It hurts my knees, but I can walk all day long.

Oh, and thank you
Old 06-15-2005, 10:07 PM

Sure hope you got that bighorn tag, elk are a dime a dozen compared to them.
Old 06-15-2005, 11:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

I started cycling when I packed a bear out this spring. I spent 3 hours luging it out of a canyon. I went riding the next night and found the same muscle groups to be burning that were used the night before. I stepped up the cycling when I discovered this. I want to work the same muscles that I use for packing meat out. I get the speed up and my pulmonary systems get a work out. If I can keep this pace up and lay off the hydraulic sandwiches in the evening, I may just be ready for elk season.
Old 06-16-2005, 12:22 AM

I notice that even with hard training of running and stair climbing lifting weights and walking with a pack, it still takes me a few days on a hunt to get into the packing grove. I should spend more time just hiking with a heavy pack. You go Charlie!!! Keep it up and it will pay off big time this fall. You get that pack and just go where other guys are too fat and out of shape to get to, and you will hammer the big one!
Old 06-16-2005, 09:05 AM

I'm up to 35# myself. I walk aprox 1.5 miles up and down hills every other day. t year I would have my ole lady drive me down the road a couple miles and I would walk home. It was most up hill. Not a steep grade but definately up hill. Well when I got to the mountains I was alright going up but sidehilling or going downhill killed my knees and legs. The guys in camp told me that you have to do downhill to get in shape for the mountains. On the days I don't walk/pack I jump on the kids Trampoline. It really seems to work the legs. I know it sounds wierd but I found this workout by accident. I don't know if it will help or not, but I'm not loosing my wind as quickly now.
Old 06-19-2005, 09:22 AM

Charlie brown, any word on what you drew?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.