HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Big Game Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting-6/)
-   -   Colorado: Good and Bad (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting/10279-colorado-good-bad.html)

greyduck 09-20-2002 08:42 PM

Colorado: Good and Bad

We just got back from a 7 day bowhunt near rifle, co. First the good. We had a great time( I guess that's all that matters). We saw elk everyday and blew a couple of chances but will know better next time since this was our first elk bowhunt. Breathtaking scenery and saw a ton of mule deer and 3 bears. Now the bad: I know this is the same old song and dance but Co. rapes the non-resident hunter. 470.00 is outrageous for an elk tag. Co. residents should pay that for any state they venture into to hunt. Also, how can "public land" be totally surrounded by private land with no access into it? That seems crazy to me but that is what we encountered. Only legal way in I guess would be by helicopter. We chose the other way. All in all a good trip and will return in 3 or 4 years after we save enough money to go back.

jjt 09-20-2002 08:58 PM

RE: Colorado: Good and Bad

greyduck
i agree with you on the land it is BS i am a wy resident and there is a checker board of public\private land. many of the land owner charge outrageous fees to trespass so you can reach the public land this in turn puts maore and more pressure on the land that is accessable instead of spreading it out

good luck on your next hunt

PowDuck 09-21-2002 07:43 AM

CO definitely caters to the landowners. Public land should be just that. Public, with a right to access it. It's ridiculous.

Yeah the price for a tag is crazy, too. The part I don't understand is the archery. With muzzleloader and rifle you have a choice of a bull or a cow tag (cow tags cheaper) but with a bow it's either sex only and the same price as a bull tag!!

http://www.hotspothunting.com/common...end=0&id=18984

Romans 8:28

bob d 09-21-2002 07:50 AM

I DONT UNDERSTAND SOMEONE WHINING AFTER THE FACT YOU KNEW WHAT WAS UP BEFORE YOU WENT. DID SOMEONE TWIST YOUR ARM AND MAKE YOU GO

bob dunning

coyote hunter 09-21-2002 08:40 AM

I agree on the pirvate ground surrounding the public not a whole lot you can do about it though.the tag situation you can't go anywhere else any cheaper and have such a good time though,which you would have gotten a elk,were they bugling much?did you get to see any herd bulls?we are heading out first rifle we are going to have to hunt a new area ours burnt up a couple of weeks ago.i think the darn fire started right in my favorite place and then spread to every where i have hunted in the last 15 years,i guess it will be better in the long run though still a bummer.

Iron Buck 09-21-2002 04:30 PM

Here is the "good" part of Colorado, unguided and from public land. A nice 5x6 herd bull! I just got back last week, yes they were bugling and my buddy and I had a ball!We came close to getting a nice 6x6 that was bigger than this one , but the wind shifted and blew the hunt at 60 yards! The prices have risen, but that it life. Colorado is not out of line when compared to the other western states for elk

coyote hunter 09-21-2002 04:37 PM

iron buck your gonna make it real hard to sleep between now and rifle season. good bull and a good time,life is good.

Colorado Bob 09-22-2002 01:24 PM

Yes the tags are expensive, but have you been to a Rockies, Bronco or Avalanche game. Heck a dang beer there is $4.50, Parking $15 etc. Everything is expensive. What are you going to do??

Deleted User 09-22-2002 06:37 PM

[Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]