Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Respect for the animals we hunt. >

Respect for the animals we hunt.

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Respect for the animals we hunt.

Old 06-07-2005, 11:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Respect for the animals we hunt.

Well if it was a badly wounded dog, cow or horse, I would put it down so it wouldn't have to suffer. I was taught by my father to never let an animal suffer if you can do something about it. I respect the wild animals that I hunt as much as the domesticated critters I have had. I would definately shoot a buck that was wounded badly. If the meat is contaminated you can get re-issued a tag upon inspection by your fish and game. I know of folks here that have done just that in circumstances like stated above.
Old 06-07-2005, 12:06 PM

I saw a deer one time that had to have been hit by a car in the rear end. The deer's leg was stuck out to the side and would not bend and was totally useless, but it didn't seem to bother the deer obviously at one point the deer was in masive pain and probably still feels some but this guy was grazing with 4 others when I startled them he wobbled off. I guess my point being is they seem to be pretty resilliant and survivors Maybe these deers wont benefit the herd any longer but they deal with what they are delt to suvive. But I am in agreeance that would should risk wounding them by taking stupid shots. The deer that I was speaking of was not in a hunting situation he was in my back yard during the summer time.
Old 06-07-2005, 12:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Shato,
Why eat the horns,you went on trophy elk hunt right to BC.So lets say you saw a cow elk that had been hurt and needed to be put down.I'm shure you would have shot that cow and tag her and been happy,right?
Now that you just blew 6+ grand plus a tag on a elk that not only can you have mounted and cannot eat.

I don't thinks so,you would have let her walk.Now that we can all cut throuh the BS.
We were not put in to manage the herds and cull the sick and lame,we have a hired agency that dose that.

I would have rather passed a sick animal to the wolves,rather than let them take the healthy.

I do buy doe tags lots of them to,I also buy my A tag(buck)and I hunt for mature animals.I shoot big FAT,HEALTY does,and STINK RUTED,FAT,HEALTHY BUCKS and have them turned in to breakfast sausage.I buy a General elk tag and a Cow tag,and I shoot the BIG,FAT cows and the FAT,HEALTY bulls,and I donot lose any sleep over it.

Call the game warden when you find a sick animal,at least that way it can be evaluated and studied and see why it was sick,just might have CWD or blue tounge.

Have a nice Day
BBJ
Old 06-07-2005, 12:33 PM
Fork Horn

Bareback, you guys can get two elk tags there.
Old 06-07-2005, 01:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yep,one the general is good all general areas,the 2nd is called a A9/Cow B tag and can be used on private land or DNRC land in most areas,plus you can use it with your special permit in most entry areas wich let you harvest 2 elk.

Last year I got the chane to hunt with a guy I work with on a local ranch that lets little to no hunting.
We walked in there at shooting light and i shot a spike in 20 minutes,what followed nxt was pretty cool,we got 7 elk outa 8 tags.We probaly could have filled the 8th cow tag,but we had more elk on that 3/4 Chevy than we could handle.

Should have see the look on guys faces as we were heading down the highway.
I have pic's if you wan't me to send them to ya.
BBJ
Old 06-07-2005, 02:18 PM
Fork Horn

Hell ya send me that pic, sounds like a dandy.

[email protected]
Old 06-07-2005, 02:34 PM

ORIGINAL: kirkl

I totally agree with ya Charlie Brown. This guy thinks your ethics suck but hell break the law. Thats the best one ive heard in a while.
First off dumby I already said I would use my tag. I said that I didn't care if someone else did or not. The laws of the all powerfull game and fish agencies are man made, so by definition they are fallable. The only person who is infallable is the lord. This isn't an argument that I'm going to win with you all I can see that. I'm telling you though there is a higher power than the game and fish, or Bill Jordan, or Boone & Crockett. You all can do as you wish. Having seen injured deer in the woods I can tell you that your insides tell you what should be done. You can rationalize all you want about the meat or the rarity of the tag or the trophy potential of the area but what is right isn't always easy.
Old 06-07-2005, 02:41 PM

ORIGINAL: shed33

Well if it was a badly wounded dog, cow or horse, I would put it down so it wouldn't have to suffer. I was taught by my father to never let an animal suffer if you can do something about it. I respect the wild animals that I hunt as much as the domesticated critters I have had. I would definately shoot a buck that was wounded badly. If the meat is contaminated you can get re-issued a tag upon inspection by your fish and game. I know of folks here that have done just that in circumstances like stated above.
This is my point exactly.

BBJ

If I had seen a wounded cow on my BC hunt I honestly don't know what I would or could have done. That would have been tough. First off I only had a bull tag. Not only that it had to be a minimum of a six point bull. I'm a visitor to the country. I don't know the laws etc. In the back woods there are laws that don't necessarily find there way to the books. I would imagine that the hypothetical injured cow would have been put down though.

I like trophy hunting too, I'm not saying that there is anything wrong with hunting for a large mature specimen. I'm just saying that sometimes there are other factors that are more important
Old 06-07-2005, 02:56 PM

Listen folks this has turned in to an argument that I didn't want to have. Its obvious that we're not going to convince each other, so lets drop it. I was obviously raised differently from you all. Have a nice day.
Old 06-07-2005, 03:18 PM
Fork Horn

Quote-Shatodavis- First off dumby I already said I would use my tag

Listen Jack A$$, you want to result to name calling I can play that game. You got your damn opinion and others have theirs. yours is no better than anyone elses. When killing a wounded animal works for you will do it but if your hunting big bulls the tables turn, QUOTE If I had seen a wounded cow on my BC hunt I honestly don't know what I would or could have done END QUOTE. Dont preach to us about your ethics when you only go by them if your not hunting for trophy animals.

There im done with this thread.

Quick Reply: Respect for the animals we hunt.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.