Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Respect for the animals we hunt. >

Respect for the animals we hunt.

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Respect for the animals we hunt.

Old 06-06-2005, 07:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Respect for the animals we hunt.

Manboy, I am not talking about about the cost of the entire cow, but the cost PER POUND. My dad gets an entire hog cut about every 6-8 months by a guy he works with. He pays about $110 and we get over 100 lbs of meat. That comes to less than $1 per pound.

My combo hunt/fish license costs me $74. My deer tag comes to a total of $37. A tank of gas is about $50. 3 five gallon cans comes to about $30. Food for the weekend costs about $20, plus last minute little extra things, and I am at about $180 or a little more. I get maybe 80 lbs off of even a mature deer. That is still over $2 per pound.

Now for beef, I can get a calf for about $700, feed for 10 months, is about $600, butchering for us would cost us a small portion of the meat for people to help us do it. So... $1300 - 1200 lb cow, which comes to about 550 pounds of meat. Thats about $2.30 per pound overall. About the same as per pound of venison, and thats if I get one opening weekend, and don't have to make another trip or two, which equals more gas.

Domestic beef or swine is still cheaper than venison.

Sorry to get off subject[&:]
Old 06-06-2005, 07:13 PM

sorry to brake the news to u charlie... if a beef ways 1200 lbs live u won't get 550lbs of meat back! it will only weigh 625lbs on th rail - bone and fat loss=310-350 lbs back! now it cost u about $4.00 per lb!
Old 06-07-2005, 10:07 AM

ORIGINAL: SpyroAndes

ORIGINAL: ShatoDavis

To let a obviously injured animal suffer so that I could kill a bigger healthy buck was just unrespectful.

There is too much coveting of high scoring racks and not enough respect and love for the game that we persue.
Is this really a respect issue?

Because if you maintain that killing the injured deer was the respectful thing to do, would you also maintain that only killing the weak, injured and sick of the herd would be the respectful thing to do and killing mature and healthy members of the herd is disrespectful?

I didn't see the show but it sounds like the deer in question wasn't mortally wounded and, frankly, I don't see how it would have been his obligation to kill it and tag it.

Now if you want to get into respect for your quarry... we should be talking about the guy that shot and injured the animal... is he still hunting? did he clip his tag? is he pursuing the animal?

I just don't see how the tv host in question was legally, morally or ethically wrong in passing on the deer.

SA
Spyro

this is where we differ. I totally believe that it was his responsibility to finish off this deer. as to your theory on meat, I say that a big rutted up buck is the worst thing to kill for the meat. A young buck or a dry cow is much better eating than a old buck.

As too the arguements that mother nature is cruel.....BS If that buck was injured by a misplaced arrow you can't blame that on mother nature. If that buck was injured crossing a fence that man put up you can't blame mother nature. If that deer was injured because it was hit by a truck then mother nature can not be blamed. I was raised to believe that we are the caretakers of our resources. The ethical thing and responsible thing to do would be to put the animal down.

You want meat, buy a doe tag. They are plentiful in most states and kill a dry doe for your freezer. You will have better meat and be preforming a sound management strategy.

I stand by my previous statement.
Old 06-07-2005, 10:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Unfortunately, where I live, I can only get one deer tag a year. IF I am lucky enough to draw. I would rather let that sick deer walk to go back into nature for the other animals to selectively remove from the ecosystem.

How do we know it was not injured by what mother nature put out? It could have stepped in a badger hole, or been bitten or attacked by and animal, causing the injury, but still managing to get away. You never know unless you kill it, and I want to be sure that my one available tag gets used on a healthy animal that will feed me, not that has to be wasted because of an infection that causes the meat to be inedible!
Old 06-07-2005, 10:22 AM

ORIGINAL: charlie brown

Unfortunately, where I live, I can only get one deer tag a year. IF I am lucky enough to draw. I would rather let that sick deer walk to go back into nature for the other animals to selectively remove from the ecosystem.

How do we know it was not injured by what mother nature put out? It could have stepped in a badger hole, or been bitten or attacked by and animal, causing the injury, but still managing to get away. You never know unless you kill it, and I want to be sure that my one available tag gets used on a healthy animal that will feed me, not that has to be wasted because of an infection that causes the meat to be inedible!
You all can sing this song as long as you want. I think you know that you are wrong. Do what you want. Its a free country. I just do not respect your decision.
Old 06-07-2005, 10:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think you know that you are wrong.
No, it is NOT wrong, it is a fact of life that things die and there is nothing that we can do about it!! I am not going to eat infected meat of a game animal, and I am not going to shoot an animal just to put it out of its misery, to just turn around and take it to the dump anyway!!! I will have used my one and only tag to take a sick animal, and have absolutely nothing to show for it!!
Old 06-07-2005, 10:48 AM

ORIGINAL: charlie brown

I think you know that you are wrong.
No, it is NOT wrong, it is a fact of life that things die and there is nothing that we can do about it!! I am not going to eat infected meat of a game animal, and I am not going to shoot an animal just to put it out of its misery, to just turn around and take it to the dump anyway!!! I will have used my one and only tag to take a sick animal, and have absolutely nothing to show for it!!
YES IT IS WRONG! I said before: do what you want. I will not respect your decision. Hunting is about more than just what YOU can get out of it. There are more important things than the amount of meat, or the size of the antlers. I think that if you watch an animal walk by obviously injured your insides will agree with me. Plain and simple. I don't even care if you tag it or not. I don't care if you drag it out of sight and let the coyotes have it. Putting the animal down was the right thing to do. Its my opinion and I'm entitled to it. It just so happens that I'm right![8D]
Old 06-07-2005, 10:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

You won't see me dragging it and hiding it either!! That is a FELONY now, so that means no more hunting for me!! I will let an injured animal walk before I risk major fines and ending up in jail and losing my hunting priveleges forever!! And furthermore, if you DON'T care that it gets tagged or not, then you have no less ethics than I do for letting it WALK!! I have never said it would never hurt me to let an injured animal walk, it would be hard to watch, for sure. But some things are just meant to be, and the easiest things to do aren't necessarily the RIGHT thing to do!!
Old 06-07-2005, 11:03 AM

i think you are both right! i beleive at times i would do as you both think is right....i tried to us a tag on a wounded wt deer once, i got close and he seen me and he ran as there was no wound...wow he was gone!

i also hunted with a guy that finally drew an elk tag for S.D. and he put in for 13 years! we hunted and hunted, he wanted a nice 5x5 or bigger, he said it maybe my only chance. he finally got his bull it was a 6x5 280" somewhere in there, the problem it had been stuck by another bull. it was skinny and the meat seemed to have a fever to it![:@] no fat at all and just didn't seem to be something i would eat... he called game and fish , they said u shot it we will not give u a new tag... he said u can have the rack i want to eat some elk meat after 13 years! they said sorry![]

so i can see both sides to this one!
Old 06-07-2005, 11:07 AM
Fork Horn

I totally agree with ya Charlie Brown. This guy thinks your ethics suck but hell break the law. Thats the best one ive heard in a while.

Quick Reply: Respect for the animals we hunt.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.