HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Big Game Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting-6/)
-   -   big game draw sasaktchewan (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting/101960-big-game-draw-sasaktchewan.html)

troutdudes 06-02-2005 09:55 PM

big game draw sasaktchewan

I put in for the big game draw in saskatchewan for mule deer by myself. I am in A pool and I wanted to know if I have a good chance of getting drawn or if a group of 4 is better? :( I'm a wee bit worried cause I really wanted to go mule deer hunting.

skeeter 7MM 06-06-2005 01:51 PM

RE: big game draw sasaktchewan

First off being your only requiring one tag IMHO leads to better odds of getting drawn vs 4, as it all depends on allocation of draw tags and when they pull your name.

As to Pool A, that is basically second pull or round for draw tags so you'll have to hope or wait for those above you in Super Pool A. Chances of getting drawn for Muley in Pool A range from fat chance in he!! to very good depending on the choice of zone or zones you have indicated on your draw application. It appears most zones got a decent up in the allocation for Mule Deer for 05' so that boosts everyones chances but a lot depends on number of hunters/pool status/etc. Basically nothing to do or worry about on your part just hope you get lucky and if not next year your in Super Pool A which is crem la crem (so your chances greatly increase but again depends on the choice in zone (s)/ allocation /hunters/etc nature of the beast with the draw in Sk.)

BTW what zone did you apply for??

Best of luck!!

troutdudes 06-06-2005 02:36 PM

skeeter I applied for zone 45E is that good or bad?

skeeter 7MM 06-07-2005 03:04 PM

troutdudes, I would say you are almost assured of getting pulled for 45E in Pool A this year. I took a look at the draw stats from last fall they needed B pool applicants to fill the allocation of 150 Mule Deer tags (which is the same allocation for 2005). In many of the non-traditional hot bed mule deer zones applicants have better odds at getting drawn with less than Super A status. Zones such as 9 & 10 things are much different being the high demand/applicants/etc even with Super A status it may take a few years to get your tag. Of course nothing is for sure till you see DRAWN beside your name but it does look very good for yeah! BTW the draw results are usually posted online around the first/second week of August.

troutdudes 06-08-2005 12:01 PM

thanks skeeter

Saskabush 06-08-2005 01:05 PM

While on the topic of zone 45. Do either of you guys know 45W very well? I've applied for it with B status and other than a crap pile of hunters i don't know what to expect out of this zone should I get drawn. Btw, not my first choice of zones but this I likely my last year of Sask residency and I decided to use it before I lose it:(. Same situation (Super A)for Fort a la Corne Moose (zone 50) if you guys know it. Not looking for secret honeyholes, just a gentle nudge in the right direction (if I get drawn).

skeeter 7MM 06-08-2005 02:39 PM

Troutdude, no problem and best of luck in the draw. If you do get drawn best of luck on the hunt.

Saskabush, I have never hunted the 45's but I do know they are around as I have seen animals while travelling with work. If you have no contacts in the area, the best bet is start scouting early. Good mule deer are really all over this province it just may take some tanks of gas and patience to find them. I found a pocket of muley's in a location I have hunted for years yet never seen a mule deer prior, so just never know. As far as getting drawn I would assume you have pretty good odds for 45W in B pool, again based on the published data from last fall's draw. If all else fails you can always go on the CWD hunts being your potential last kick in sask.

As to FLC and moose well most likely you stand 50/50 chance of getting pulled in super pool A. Bare in mind zone 50 encompasses a lot more than just FLC it also has good farmlands spots for moose as well. Last fall we got drawn in 63 which butts 50 and we saw several moose while scouting in this prime area butting the provinicial forest. Hunting permission is not that hard to obtain if you find some spots of interest. If you do go into FLC find water, moose feeding grounds (meadows red willows, lake, swamp, etc) then you'll find moose tracks and this point just call - the early season of the draw is primetime for a birchbark megaphone. As mentioned last year we were drawn (2) in 63 which was our 4th and final choice for the draw as Super A applicants, so really not well prepared when we got notice it was where we would be hunting. A few nights of pouring over some topo maps and a couple of scouting tripx found us a spot to start/camp. To make a long story short by weds both tags were filled by way of the call. Monday evening my partner took a 2 year old bull and weds evening I took 4 year old bull, both animal were shot within 100 yards and came in on ropes. The key is due some homework and understand the game/habitat they encompass. I personally prefer hunting moose in the bush when the rut is on or near but if you find places to hunt the farmland treated them like a whitetail hunt. Find bed and breakfeast first off then setup in between in the best spot based on the wind!

We are hoping the other 2 in our group get drawn this fall just to have the chance to play again with them during the rut. Best of luck in your draw apps!

Saskabush 06-08-2005 03:13 PM

Thanks a lot Skeeter, it helps to get a general impression of an area from someone who has been there(or at least in the neighborhood). I'm not too worried about the mulie hunt b/c as you said there is always the CWD hunts. I plan on taking advantage of them to put venison in the freezer again this year so i can hunt for a big whitetail(s) and mulie.

The moose hunt will be a totally new experience for me and i'm very much looking forward to it (if I get drawn). I'm working in Slave Lake, AB for the summer and it's a bit of a commute to get home on days off. Hopefully I'll make it out for a weekend though.

I chose both zones strictly on the chances of being drawn this year. I normally wouldn't go blind into draws like this but seeing as though it might be my last chance I figured what the heck. Also because it will take me several years to build priority in Alberta.

One more question for you. Where do you find your topo maps. I have checked maptown in edmonton in the past but there selection for Sask is sketchy. Also, If you know a good source for aerial photos in Sask it would be appreciated. Again, thanks for the insight.

skeeter 7MM 06-08-2005 06:52 PM

Saskabush, best of luck in the draw. As far as maps/photos call ICS in Regina (306) 787-2799, when you get drawn then tell them the zone and area you maybe thinking of hunting. They will be able to tell you the Topo Map location codes that maybe of use for your hunt and also point you to places you can purchase the maps locally. I have always found them excellent to deal with in the past. It is highly advisable to look at a topo grid map prior to ordering as they aren't cheap at 16/map, so you'll want to make sure the info is of use. I purchase my maps in saskatoon from a geological firm so I suspect that someone in Lloyd would sell maps or at least allow you to see them prior to ordering. Another resource is the University of Saskatchewan but for you not real practical unless you plan a trip to S'toon this summer. At the UofS you can look at the sask grid topo map and pull any section you wish for closer inspection great starting tool if accessible.

As far as scouting I do a large portion by way of a topo map then scout area closer to season as the behaviours or patterns change with approaching rut/winter in moose country from my experience. Summer trips are really for learning the lay of the land,etc so as long as you can spend some time prior to hunting you should be fine.

Hopefully it helps you some. Anything else I'll do my best to lend you hand. GOOD LUCK getting pulled:)

Saskabush 06-08-2005 09:09 PM

Thanks again Skeeter, the help is very much appreciated. I'll likely be picking your brain about moose busting some more in July if I get drawn.