HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Big Game Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting-6/)
-   -   Treestands? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting/101374-treestands.html)

Cowboy Al 05-26-2005 08:16 PM

Treestands?

With thoughts of bear hunting next year I'm considering building some permanent treestands over baitsites. I've got a general idea how I'd like to build it but never having done this before is it just as simple as slapping some 2x4's and plywood between 2-3 trees? I want to build a stand / shooting platform as my baiting area will be 4-5hrs from home, and I don't want to run the risk of having a boughten stand swiped. Any suggestions?

Elk2901 05-27-2005 04:50 PM

RE: Treestands?

I don't think I can recommend building a tree stand. When the wind blows it will move the wood joints. Also the wood needs to get some age so it is not abvious to the bear. But when it gets older, the wood gets weaker and may break with your weight. Here in Arkansas we like to use climbers. They work good. We don't use wooden ones at all. Just not safe.

Hunter06FlKy 05-27-2005 09:00 PM

if you're going to build one i would recommend using pressure treated wood, plenty of 2x4's, and screws not nails.

manboy 05-27-2005 10:57 PM

if you are going to build one i would first look at the cost of that comparied to a climber
1 i use a climber and it works great!
2. the wind? will u always be in the right spot for the wind direction?
3. maybe u will need higher one day because bears are getting skidish?
4. a climber u could use somewher else, not just have to leave it in one spot!

just my thoughts!;)

BS 05-28-2005 09:14 AM

my hunting page

You will find wood and metal ladderstands on my hunting page. Hope the pictures give you some ideas.

Rebel Dog 06-02-2005 06:28 AM

I would use a climber also. I am just curious as to who is tending your bait site on a regular basis if you are 4 hours away?

Furync 06-02-2005 06:54 AM

ORIGINAL: BS

my hunting page

You will find wood and metal ladderstands on my hunting page. Hope the pictures give you some ideas.
haha cool ideas on your web page BS. good stuff!
the mouse trap really made me laugh... I bet it works great :D just like everything else on your page.. :)

Terasec 06-02-2005 08:07 AM

is this stand on your land or public lands?
if on public lands i would check local regualtions on what they allow,
some states dont allow custom stands, or homemade platforms,
also some states have regs on leaving stands on public land,
overall i would reccommend a climbing stand, for the reasons others stated, and for safety,
homemade stands are more prone to fail,

either way enjoy and be safe

Cowboy Al 06-02-2005 10:14 AM

Rebel, still in the planning stages there will be a couple of us involved so between us we should be able to rebait 1 a week until its close to hunting time, then it'll be looked after every day for a couple of weeks.

Rebel Dog 06-02-2005 11:44 AM

I have always thought that the first day you sit in the tree the bears know you are there, it is just a matter of them getting use to you. They are smart critters I have heard them for days making lite growling noises in the thickets before coming in to the bait. Tis is the one I took last year and I am going back in Sept.

Good luck to you.