Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

What gun for a youngster

Old 05-26-2005, 02:05 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: What gun for a youngster

Same with the NEF. Only about a third the price.
Old 05-26-2005, 07:45 AM

My 12 year old started last year with a 308 and shoots it really well. My Winch mod70 '06 fthwt. seems to rock him uncomfortably.

I'm a big proponent of building good rifle shooting form and habits through quality practice. Its tough for a kid to do that if he's worried about getting knocked around.

My son practiced and got really good before I took him afield. He drilled a really big 3x4 mulie with the only shot he has taken at a game animal with a rifle. Range was around 200 yds.

A friend of mine has his two sons shooting his '06 with no recoil pad. They have taken a few shots at deer and bear and have yet to hit anything.

While some people have more ability to absorb recoil than others (both kids and adults), lighter recoil really helps build shooting skills.
Old 05-26-2005, 08:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

I still think for a beginer first deer rifle the 25-06 would be the best,since he will have a chane to get a elk rifle later.
I was started on the 30-06 @ 12 years old and I don't care what anyone says about recoil,if you wanna hunt so bad that it almost kill's ya,you will not mind a little kick.If he can handle the 30-06 Shato then all means get him one.Since you metioned 2 gun future then I would say 25-06 for deer/antelope,and then a 30-06,7mm Rem mag,or 300 WSM for elk(later on).
BBJ
Old 05-26-2005, 11:17 AM

Hey guys,

I appreciated all the input. I know that he can handle more recoil for a shot or two. I've seen him shoot a 300 win mag from the prone position. I also know that it kicked him pretty well, because I seen the bruise. So its more a matter of wanting something that is light enough in recoil that he can shoot it comfortably. If it kicks the heck out of him I do not believe that he will shoot often enough to become very proficient with his weapon. I'm really leaning towards the 25-06. I love the cartridge myself.
Old 05-26-2005, 12:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Shato,

First of all, congrats on getting to have your son join you in this coming season in the elk woods!!!!! Lots of good info from the guys above. I started with 6mm and 270 at age 12. Both worked fine. The 270 had a little more recoil but it wasn't too bad. psssssssssst.....get a bow in that boys hand too!!!!!!!
Old 05-26-2005, 12:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think the 25-06 would be a great choice. HOWEVER, you might also consider the 270 BECAUSE you can now get "low recoiling" ammunition that reduces the powder/lead and therefore the kick of the 270 by I think 50%. Should bring it down to the level of the 25-06. Here is a link: http://www.chuckhawks.com/federal_low_recoil.htm

Then, when he gets bigger, you can switch to normal ammo.

Decision, decisions!
Old 05-26-2005, 12:24 PM

ORIGINAL: txhunter58

I think the 25-06 would be a great choice. HOWEVER, you might also consider the 270 BECAUSE you can now get "low recoiling" ammunition that reduces the powder/lead and therefore the kick of the 270 by I think 50%. Should bring it down to the level of the 25-06. Here is a link: http://www.chuckhawks.com/federal_low_recoil.htm

Then, when he gets bigger, you can switch to normal ammo.

Decision, decisions!
Heck,

I think hes gona be a gun nut like me. So multiple guns isn't a bad thing. His mother sugested the Thompson Encore when she saw the commercial that says "one gun for all your hunting needs" His reply was "one gun, thats boring" I almost laughed out loud.
Old 05-26-2005, 06:46 PM

I had gotten my son a NEF Handi rifle and an extra youth stock. His was 243 but I'd say the 25-06 would be sweet. When he got bigger I put the regular stock back on for me. He's now a tall lanky 16yo and shoots a Savage 110 270cal. I have him pratice with the reduced loads and recoil is not an issue.
Old 05-26-2005, 08:19 PM

I'd get em a 25-06. Lite on the recoil with enough jam to handle deer and prairie goats.
Old 05-26-2005, 08:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

You are right Shato, there is no "best" all around gun despite all the debates. I now own everything from a 222 to a 338 win mag plus 2 blackpowders. Gonna have to get a bigger gun safe soon! So starting him off with a 25-06 as a "starter" gun would be smart.

Quick Reply: What gun for a youngster

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.