Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Is this the Era for BIG BULLS or the end? >

Is this the Era for BIG BULLS or the end?

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Is this the Era for BIG BULLS or the end?

Old 05-25-2005, 08:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Is this the Era for BIG BULLS or the end?

I believe there will always be places in this state (Idaho) to find a nice bull elk because of the rugged hard to get to terrain, but with the Fish and Game caring more about revenue than management and the wolves doing thier share our over all quality of bulls is on the decline. We are fortunate as of late to have had so many easy winters, the elk have rebounded from the 1996 ice storm. In northern units our game management offers spike only seasons, so in other words they promote the killing of young bulls. What a novel idea for establishing maturity!

Our northern Idaho management plan for whitetails is to open the season up to rifle hunters for not only all of November during the rut but to now ADD all of October while everyone is slaying the elk rifle hunting as well. Its a road hunters paradise up here!!!! According to the state biologists up here, there will be no direct effect on the over all numbers of mature bucks! LMAO, what a joke.

I could go on and on but why, its all about money in this state when it comes to whitetails and elk, in this neck of the state anyway.
Old 05-25-2005, 11:30 AM

Limited quotas. Trophy regulations. habitat. and outlaw hunting shows.
those are my answers. I think a regulation like British columbia has that makes a bull only legal if he has a sixth point on a side is a great idea.
Hunting shows are irksome to me. There is only a couple that I can stomach: Eastman's hunting journal, and the Truth. The rest are staged and make me sick to my stomach. Most are shot behind fences and that just pi$$e$ me off. I think they give the wrong message too. The shows are all about the kill. Get the kill shot on film, Don't take a shot until the camera man says hes on him. Pass up a shot if its too early for good light. Its irksome. They are to blame for all the emphasis on "scores". Too many people learn their hunting "ethics" from Bill Jordan in my opinion.

Flame away! I'm sure I rubbed a bunch of people wrong with this one! Its my opinions and I'm entitled.
Old 05-25-2005, 12:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

You didn't bother me Shato,I with on the shows I think to that to much emaphasis is put on the"Tropy SHOT",it was not to long ago that there were quality shows.I like eastmans and Archer's choice,along with Montana Hunting Secrets,Ghost Stories.

I would be all for a "Point limtations" like here in Montana there is alot of Brow Tined bull only area's,instead of the antlered bull,but I'm as guilty as others to a elk's a elk to me,thats my meat.I was all up to shoot a cow last year,but instead a spike walked in before the cows and well,he tastes great.Less encrochment on would habita would be nice but that is not going to happen either.

BBJ
Old 05-25-2005, 01:01 PM

Jack,
I love the meat as well. Elk venison is the best meat, as anyone who has eaten elk can attest. A dry cow is better eating than a bull anyway. Its one of those things, you can't have your trophies and eat youngsters too. I'm of the opinion that we shouldn't kill anything immature, wether it be a spike, raghorn, or young cow.
I know a guy who owns a high fence elk hunting operation near my home town. I do not condone such hunting, but I will take meat off his hands at a reasonable price when his "hunters" don't want the meat. Some might say this is hypocritical. But, I say he's basically raising beef cows.
Old 05-25-2005, 03:34 PM

There will always be 400 class bulls, but the Apaches will charge dear for them! [X(]
Old 05-25-2005, 04:03 PM

I think the main reason the mule deer numbers are going down is because they are losing their habitat to whitetails. I remeber reading something about how whitetail deer will occasionally breed a mule deer doe and produce a whitetail, but a mule deer will not breed a whitetail doe. I am not sure but i recall reading that somwhere. Please correct me if i am wrong.The whitetail deer is in far greater numbers than it was even 30 years ago. My grandma grew up on a farm in east texas about 75 years ago and never remebers seeing a deer. Now whenever we go there we always see deer.
Old 05-25-2005, 04:48 PM

shato... u buy elk meat? wow...... i wish i could also![8D]it is the best wild meat, ofcoarse, IN MY OPINION. i also agree with u on hunting shows... i hate the hunter waiting for the camera guy to say KILL HIM. i watched a show today, and u could here "KILL HIM" loud and clear! man i hate that![:@]

and i hate jordan... anyone who needs make-up to make a hunting video is a total wimp!and we don't need that in the hunting picture!

just my 2 cents...for what its worth?
Old 05-25-2005, 08:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Tex, there is some truth to your statement, long eared whitetails are not uncommon around here. I just wonder what kind of tag I'm suppose to use for them? Bobby
Old 05-26-2005, 10:42 PM
Fork Horn

im afraid that the only way this isnt the good ole days for elk is if they keep tags limited, and if numbers of elk hunters keep increasing, that means fewer chances. but i guess if it keeps big bulls around.

i would really miss hunting them every year though. i know a few years back i suddenly ran into bad luck drawing elk tags. really bums a guy out when he plans all year, sets his vacation, and doesnt draw a tag. really hurts.

muleys are still there, but no doubt they're down. i remember growing up driving up the creek and seeing hundreds every time. just doestn happen anymore. tragic.

sorta leaves one to wonder what hunting will be like in 40 years