Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 whats your most deadliest shot >

whats your most deadliest shot

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

whats your most deadliest shot

Old 05-25-2005, 06:03 PM

Default RE: whats your most deadliest shot

using the pie hole
California head shot is what we call it here in the Rockies. No offense to the CA hunters!
Old 05-26-2005, 01:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

California head shot is what we call it here in the Rockies. No offense to the CA hunters!
lol none taken
Old 05-26-2005, 11:55 AM

ORIGINAL: HuntElk4Fun

using the pie hole
Well I'm not certain what you mean by "pie hole". what we call a texas brain shot, is shooting up the south end of a north bound animal. The ole a hole.
Old 05-26-2005, 01:17 PM

My most deadliest shot (well I've had two) was when I was 15yrs old (11yrs ago), doe hunting with my dad on my first hunting trip where I was packing a rifle. It was a .3030 Winchester open sight. We were heading down a gravel/mud road to our "usual spot" and saw a doe feeding in a meadow. We stopped the vehicle and I walked into the meadow towards the doe (trying to make it a legal shot because in Oregon we're not allowed to shoot withing 50yds of the road). She got scared and trotted towards a wooded area and stopped. All I could see was the shadowed image of her head and shoulders. I pulled up the .3030 with the front sight on her head/neck. Pulled the trigger, and she paused then dropped. When we came up to her, she was long gone and we found the entry right behind the ear taking out the brain stem killing instantly. My other shot was on another doe a couple years later. Again we were heading out for the evening hunt and there were 4 does eating together about 75 yds off the road. Shot this one right in the neck hitting the spinal cord and she dropped instantly. All my other kills have been fairly similar (head/neck shots) except last year I took out half a hind quarter on my buck while he was on the run.
Old 05-26-2005, 01:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

Well I'm not certain what you mean by "pie hole". what we call a texas brain shot, is shooting up the south end of a north bound animal. The ole a hole.
One and the same!
Old 06-15-2005, 02:16 AM

Elk Anatomy Overview: http://www.bowhunting.net/NAspecies/elk2.html

In looking at an elk's circulatory system and bone structure, there appears to be two good spots to shoot for:

1. Heart and Lung area slightly behind the front leg / near the top of the shoulder.

2. Spine / Base of Neck Area. Following the forward portion of the front leg 1/2 to 2/3'rds up to where the neck meets the spine. There are a lot of major support bones in this area that when broken, should anchor the animal very quickly.
Old 10-24-2006, 03:27 PM

Bump.
Old 10-24-2006, 04:14 PM

Mulie doe 15 yds away right in the head and a cow moose i shot her right right threw the heart and double lunged her.Didnt stand a chance
Old 10-24-2006, 10:17 PM

BigBulls....

You coming out to Colorado for some elk thumping this year?
Old 10-26-2006, 05:55 PM
Fork Horn

I once hit a buck between the shoulder blades. He was jumping a brush pile andI drilled him there with my 308 at about 40 yards. Blew the briscut out and he landed deader then dead on his back. No meat ruined either!!

Wasnt there a post about a guy hitting a black bear directly in the eye!?! The pictureI sawshowed a refection from one eye and not from the other. Bet he didn't move at all.