Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 I'm Looking for some Alaskan Moose Hunt Info >

I'm Looking for some Alaskan Moose Hunt Info

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

I'm Looking for some Alaskan Moose Hunt Info

Old 05-14-2005, 02:57 PM

Default I'm Looking for some Alaskan Moose Hunt Info

I was wondering if anyone had information on a float trip, moose hunt in Alaska. Or any other type of guided, semi-guided, or unguided moose hunt. Also, which dates are considered "prime time" for Alaskan Moose. I'm looking to book in 2007. I just recently returned from an Alaskan Black bear hunt, my first time to Alaska, and re-booked for 2006. Already looking forward to a 2007 Moose hunt. Thanks for any information.
John
Old 05-14-2005, 06:04 PM

Default RE: I'm Looking for some Alaskan Moose Hunt Info

John,

I think mid Sept. is considered the peak time for hunting. As for the rest, if you could narrow it down some it would help. I will say that moose hunting is getting tougher and tougher up here. The predators are taking their toll
Old 05-15-2005, 03:55 AM

Thanks for the reply Alaskamagnum, I'll try and narrow it down. I don 't really know where to start though to narrow it down!! I'm just looking for a place to go with a good moose population and an honest chance to harvest an Alaskan trophy. Every thing I read lately in articles has mentioned how hard it is getting up there because of predation. We really can't afford a 1x1 guided hunt, so that's why we're looking into the float hunts. The price of the guided hunt is one thing, but the cost of flying the meat and antlers back to Massachusetts is another. To me moose meat is the best, so I certainly want to bring as much back as possible. I realize it's one tough hunt, having to do it on your own, but when done, it must give you the sense of a major accomplishment. Thanks for any replies.
John
Old 05-15-2005, 08:53 AM

I shot a 58" bull in unit 17b last sept. 9 on an unguided hunt. You will have to hire a air taxi to get in and out , with a cost of about $1,000 each way in my case divided by 4 of us thats a good deal.Look up fresh water adventure in dillingham ak. they get about 30% kills on there unguided drop hunts ,Lester and Jill are the top of the line. They have a good web site,you will need to book 13 months ahead to get the most out of the 11 day season also killed a black bear and carbou thier. I spend around $3,000 total from pittsburgh and back , I couldn't afford that on top of a guilded hunt . As I was packing moose I understant what labor of love means.I wish you the best of luck!
Old 05-16-2005, 04:41 PM

Yea, I might know of a good river or two...

The best time to hunt the areas that I am talking about are Sept 1st thru Sept 21st. Any later and you will have to deal with a possible freeze.

It is do it yourself...

Fly into Fairbanks where you rent the raft, row frame, ice chests and etc...

Based upon 2 people...

Charter a Cessna 182 or something... 2 flights in... up to 5 flights out...

You'll be looking at $800 inbound and, with 2 moose, we usually pre-negotiate a $1500 outbound...

By the time everything is said and done, you are looking at $3000 per person with $2000 of it being airfare and tag.

You could increase the people but the price generally stays the same but this is a hunt that is best done with only 2 people and 1 raft. Even with large groups, you still go hunt/camp in pairs with a one day stagger... about the only time you see the other groups is when a leading boat shoots a moose and is butchering, they lose a day, and at the end if everyone is tagged out early.

Otherwise, it is a two man experience.

SA

PS. The real work starts when both hunters are tagged out...
Old 05-16-2005, 06:27 PM

hey-pace maker---check out----ALASKA BUSH ADVENTURES--outfitter-les krank
Old 05-17-2005, 11:14 AM
Fork Horn

If you want to do any reading up on this type of hunt I highly recommend a number of books written by Chris Battin. You will find dates, cost, location suggestions, rafting recommendations, and everything else you can think of. The exact names of the books slip my mind, but it's something simple like Hunt Alaska. Good Luck
Old 05-17-2005, 12:17 PM

ORIGINAL: BGHUNTER00

If you want to do any reading up on this type of hunt I highly recommend a number of books written by Chris Battin. You will find dates, cost, location suggestions, rafting recommendations, and everything else you can think of. The exact names of the books slip my mind, but it's something simple like Hunt Alaska. Good Luck
With regards to books, I highly recommend Dennis Confer's "Hunt Alaska Now! Self Guiding for Trophy Caribou and Moose". It is essential to every good hunting library. You can tell that he is very list and detailed task oriented so for a newbie, it is worth it's weight in gold.

Dan Heiner's "Fly Fishing Alaska's Wild Rivers" is another good book because it has pretty good descriptions of tons of different rivers in Alaska. So while his focus is on fly fishing, his information is great for the hunter.

I have also heard good things about Larry Bartlett's "The Complete Guide to Float Hunting in Alaska" but I haven't read it.

Anyway, we will be floating again in Sept 2006...

SA
Old 05-23-2005, 08:29 AM

Areas around the state vary in terms of peak season, but in a broad-band sense, 10-20 Sept would be preferred in most of the central and southern regions. If you are truly looking for a "Trophy" Bull, I would suggest a Fly-in. Typically, if you can access the river by road, so can everybody else, and, everybody else does. The same generally holds true for ATV trails. There are plenty of Guides and Fly-in charters that can drop you in for a float trip and from what I've seen over the years, those guys tend to have the greater success.
Old 05-23-2005, 10:15 AM

SCI (Safari Club Internation) should have some info on hunting there. The URL is
http://www.safariclub.org/