Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 400 Yard shots at elk? Heck with that check out this video that has a 750 yard shot at a elk! >

400 Yard shots at elk? Heck with that check out this video that has a 750 yard shot at a elk!

Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.
 Nosler

400 Yard shots at elk? Heck with that check out this video that has a 750 yard shot at a elk!

Old 05-22-2005, 11:31 PM

Default RE: 400 Yard shots at elk? Heck with that check out this video that has a 750 yard shot at a elk!

ORIGINAL: huntnmuleys

growing up as a bowhunter
After all this chatter about long range this, that, I must admit. I'll take my bow in my hands 99 days of 100 over my rifle. It's just we are fortunate enough to hunt with our bows, then put them down and pick up the rifle!! With that in mind, I often find myself packing the cannon around.

Nothing beats a bull elk 20 yds, pissed off or hunting your "cow" down with your stick and string waiting for him.
Old 05-23-2005, 10:55 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: 400 Yard shots at elk? Heck with that check out this video that has a 750 yard shot at a elk!

ORIGINAL: Ridge Runner

ok on stepp uphill or downhill where's the shot go? high? low? dead on?
RR

Txhunter58 beat me to it. You aim low.
Old 05-23-2005, 11:32 AM

Just out of curiosity, what was the calibre used in these videos?
Old 05-23-2005, 09:24 PM

ORIGINAL: Ridge Runner

ok on stepp uphill or downhill where's the shot go? high? low? dead on?
RR
I would really encourage people to practice this shot, since most don't. Most sight in their gun at 100 yds, put it a little high there and hit the field. How low you aim isn't always as far as some people aim. Obviously, caliber, distance and angle all come into play. Even though we are talking inches here, inches are usually what seperate a good shooter from a great shooter.

Again, practice these shots guys, not many animals run out at 100 yds and stop on a level plane. I would really encourage this to anyone visiting the West for the first time. It's really that steep, up/down out here, yet many forget it.
Old 05-27-2005, 07:35 AM

I love to watch their kills because of the precision and accuracy but it wouldn't be for me. My queston is, what happens when the buck or bull of a lifetime jumps up at 20 yards? Most have too much magnification on their scope as it is and at 20 yards trying to get an animal in the field of view is almost impossible with the specialized equipment one must have to make an 800 yard shot. One could say this wouldn't happen in the West, but it did to me while growing up in Utah. One nevr knows what is going to jump up.

Dr Fatguy