HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Big Game Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting-6/)
-   -   400 yard shots at elk???? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting/100261-400-yard-shots-elk.html)

manboy 05-13-2005 04:58 PM

400 yard shots at elk????

i don't car who u are or what rifle u shoot... a shot at an elk that is 300 yards or father shold never be taken...

u can call it ethics or what ever u would like but the simple fact is the chances are a lot better to not recover the game than to recover them!

in my book you will be called out for those kind of shots, and if u don't like it to bad! we all look for info here, i have learned alot. but using the weenie way out and blocking replies will not futher knowledge!;)

to all on this post, WHAT DO U THINK OF THE BLOCKING SYSTEM?:eek:

huntnmuleys 05-13-2005 05:16 PM

RE: 400 yard shots at elk????

personally i think if your using enough gun, a 400 yard shot on an elk is fine. but a 25.06? i have a real problem with a 400 yard shot on an elk with that gun

on the blocking thing, i think if someone doesnt like the way someone presents themselves on here they should have the right to block them out. ronnie, some of your stuff on here comes across pretty raw, and if some people are offended by that i think its their choice, this is all of our site, and we should get out of it what we want. that all being said, i saw where elkampmaster said he had blocked you out, but wasnt really mean about it. one other guy said he blocked ya out, and he made one little comment about it, nothing big. the guy your in question about i think, bareback jack, made a pretty snotty sounding paragraph with some personal attacks (at least thats what i felt they were), then immediatly blocked you out im guessing so he wouldnt have to read your response. i personally say if ya can dish it out you can take it. bareback jack has been on here a long time, and i have never had a problem with anything he has said on here, but on this one i feel he was wrong.

just my thoughts

brad

justhuntitall 05-13-2005 05:24 PM

I would not personaly take a shot farther than 300yards because my rifle shooting is a little rusty cause I spend to much time with my bow.

But I know people that can and do shoot farther then 300Yds and are very capable of taking any game animal at 400yds with right conditons.

And I dont think alot of people read your book[&:]

Montana Bob 05-13-2005 05:37 PM

I agree to differ. A 456 yard shot got this Moose with a perfect lung shot. I would do it again under the right conditions at 600 yards. As my 338 RUM can reach out at touch something with accuracy out that far. I am comfortable out to that range.

charlie brown 05-13-2005 06:02 PM

I know there are cartridges out there that are capable of taking big game beyond 400 yds. I am not personally capable of doing it with what I have and my shooting ability. I do know people that probably cold take animals beyond that distance with no problem. It has been done, it will surely be done again. If someone is up to the task, as well as the cartridge is, I see no problem in it at all. Now if someone takes the shot, the animal doesn't fall, so they just keep on hunting, or some other scenario like that, thats where I start to have problems.

AlaskaMagnum 05-13-2005 06:31 PM

My .338 RUM could certianly shoot accurately at 400 yards with no wind, alas....I cannot.

However, hunting an elk with a .25-06 is not exactly smart in my book either. Sometimes I wonder what guys consider "hunting". I guess if you road hunt and plan on shooting an animal within 1/2 of a road, and making short shots caliber may not be all that important.

As for me, when the airplane drops you off, you are on your own for ten days. I sleep with my rifle loaded in case of bears, my rilfe may be called upon to save my life, THAT is not an exaggeration, it's the truth. And I when I shoot a moose, I want him down NOW!. Anyone who lauds the greatness of small caliber rifles on big animals like elk or bear has never had to carry them out apiece at a time from a muskeg that sinks you up to your ankles or a canyon that takes you four hours to get out of.

Judyboi 05-13-2005 06:33 PM

I feel comfortable taking an elk sized animal at 400-450 yards with my .308, but with my .270 I will not shoot further than 200 yards. I think what you practice for and if you have enough gun are the two most important factors, and to each his own.

bowedark 05-13-2005 06:33 PM

:D

stubblejumper 05-13-2005 08:41 PM

i don't car who u are or what rifle u shoot... a shot at an elk that is 300 yards or father shold never be taken...

u can call it ethics or what ever u would like but the simple fact is the chances are a lot better to not recover the game than to recover them!

in my book you will be called out for those kind of shots, and if u don't like it to bad! we all look for info here, i have learned alot. but using the weenie way out and blocking replies will not futher knowledge!
I set my own range limitations based on my shooting ability, my equipment and the shooting conditions and I don't judge others based on my abilities.My opinion is that you should spend less time worrying about how far other people shoot and more time learning to spell.

Roskoe 05-13-2005 08:57 PM

Amen.