Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

400 yard shots at elk????

Old 05-20-2005, 09:15 PM

Default RE: 400 yard shots at elk????

i like this guy!121553
Old 05-21-2005, 02:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

im sure chuck adams probably wasnt lying.
huntnmuley, I have no idea about the read or chuck. I have said it millions times hunting is a personal sport and from my personal experience, through animals I have taken, buddies have taken and hunter I guided(in a previous life..lol) the double lung has always ended in a notched tag..therefore I made that statement I did. Yes I have seen them do amazing things just never seen one recover from deflated lungs!

Bobby(aka 121553), I happen to agree with you but that is personal preference for an experience hunter who has the ability to make the shot. I don't think even the most veteran hunter or prolific marksmen would suggest a 400 yard shot on any animal to other hunters without knowing their ability. The equipment is only as good as the man/women behind it and that can only be determined by that individual based on their own ability. A good/veteran hunter knows his limitations and hunt within them, so the opps never happens. I also agree I could give two poops what people think of my style or hunting choices, after all I do it for me not for the broad spectrum of hunters. Again completely personal. So if legal and your happy go hard, even if I don't 100% agree, far be it for me to condemn or chastise others for their choices..is all I am saying.

For the record I personally would not shoot an elk at 400 yards, thats not b/c my rifle won't do it...rather than man behind prefers to be a with in his safe zone!
Old 05-21-2005, 03:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

While I most certainly do prefer close range shots,I do prepare for long range shots in case that is my only option in a given situation.In fact,judging from my experiences at our local range,my shooting at 400 yards is more consistantly accurate than many peoples 200 yard shooting.Everyone has different abilities,which is determined by their equipment and the time and effort that they put into learning their equipment and practising their shooting.Accordingly noone should be judged based on anyones abilities but their own.Some people can consistantly hit elk sized targets at well over 400 yards while other people are incompetent at distances as short as 100 yards.
Old 05-21-2005, 08:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: manboy

i like this guy!121553
Watch it manboy, your going to reuine your reputation.

I'm not surprized Skeeter, if I recall we didn't agree on this very same subject 2 or 3 yrs ago. I think that has been the only thing that I have read in your post that you and I don't agree on, but its okay to disagree. We all have different hunting styles and I agree with you and stubble that a person has to know there limitations, but what concerns me is that these weekend warriors will test there limitations and beyond on a game animal, such as ridgerunner who proved my point exactly. I wonder if honestly if this guy could tell me how many deer he has gotten at this range vs. the misses (sp) ? Stubble I am also sure that you shoot quite a bit a year to acheive that but what about the guys who buy a box of ammo the week prior ? Its just not a good subject to be promoting, why not promote the art of trying to get closer ? Like I say, there is a lot more to be learned when one/if aquires the skill of getting close in and its always a learning process. Good day, Bobby
Old 05-21-2005, 08:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

what about the guys who buy a box of ammo the week prior ?
Many of those guys can't shoot accurately past 100 yards and that will never change unless they are willing to make an effort to change themselves.So do we change this topic to suit them and make it elk at over 100 yards?Many of these weekend warriors can't stalk or read sign either so do we assume that because of this,other hunters can't either? I return to my previous point being that we must judge ourselves based on our own skills and to judge others based on their skills be they inferior or superior to our own.Manboy is just too conceited to believe that other people could possibly possess shooting skills far superior to his own so he attacks them claiming that they lack ethics.
Old 05-22-2005, 01:34 PM
Typical Buck

Ridgerunner, I think it's perfectly ok to take the type of shots you describe as long as you are proficient at it. Myself, I am limited to 300-350 yds. right now. I look at it as another tool in your hunting arsenal. By all means, if a stalk can be used to cut the distance then I think it should be utilized, but if an extreme long range shot is all that is available and you have the ability to connect then go for it.
There has always been a backlash from the "mainstream hunting community" whenever new technology becomes available. In bowhunting it happened with the advent of the compound bow. Then as the percent of letoff increased it happened within the bowhunting community itself. I wonder how many bowhunters we would have today if the only legal weapon was the longbow shooting hand-made arrows with stone tips! Not many! It's happening still in waterfowl hunting with the developement of the "Robo duck" decoy. Many say it's an "unfair advantage". How about the use of 3 1/2" magnum shells shot through a severly constricted turkey choke to kill gobblers out to 50-60 yds? I myself kill turkeys at extreme ranges like this. I wonder what some of the turkey hunters of "days gone by" would say about that. I can here it now, "thats just unethical to kill turkeys at that range, you must call the bird in to within 20 yds. to say you have actually defeated the gobbler on his turf!"
It's cutting edge technology, if you can master it, then use it!
Old 05-22-2005, 05:57 PM

FWIW the last 2 shots I made at long distance were 2 different situations. Yes I stalk. The first one was a challenging shot on a sheep. Could I get closer. Yep about 15 minutes and cut it from over 800 to around 75 with cover real easy. Nothing to it. Not nearly as hard as making the long shot.

Second shot. I tad over 800 and the tallest cover between myself and animal was about 2 inch sponge tundra. With plane coming the next day and it being a solid rest and no wind to speak of going prone and taking my time it was an easy shot. But not for most. How do you stalk in tundra?

Walk a mile in others shoes.
Old 05-22-2005, 09:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Intresting comparsion ridgerunner.
Didn't intend to hit a nerve and I never did say I judge people on what could happen but I do judge people on what I see here every hunting season. The warriors come out of there offices and test there limitations on animals just because the oppurtunity arises once in a life time. [:@] My point is, do it at the range and be proficent at it. I guess the real question is, "What is your limitations and why do you choose to shoot from that distance"? Why is it that you shoot all your deer from 400-600 yrds? Could you get closer if you wanted ? Just curious.
Rost, take your time and try downwind sliding on a blanket across the catuses through the sage and rattlers. Been there and done it, and will be doing it again this year. Good luck, Bobby
Old 05-23-2005, 09:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ridge, when someone says they routinely shoot deer at 400-600 yrds and admits thats he's is no marksman, I kinda wonder what he would do in actual hunting conditions/elements ? My apology if you took offense but I think I got my point across how I feel about that subject and I know my way is not the only way, but I just have a hard time understanding why every joeblow thinks they have too shoot 500-600 yrds? The last few yards is when you hear the snot blowing is about the time I always thought the hunt started. Maybe I just don't see the challenge behind a 600 yarder. Excuse me for missing something. Later, Bobby
Old 05-25-2005, 03:07 PM

ORIGINAL: 121553

. Maybe I just don't see the challenge behind a 600 yarder. Excuse me for missing something. Later, Bobby
There is quite a bit if challenge in shooting at 600 yards, none of which has anything to do with hunting. That kind of shooting should stay at the range where missed condition changes results in paper being punched in the wrong spot rather than a creature that we should respect. JMHO

Quick Reply: 400 yard shots at elk????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.