Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

400 yard shots at elk????

Old 05-13-2005, 09:08 PM

Default RE: 400 yard shots at elk????

1st i live in WYOMING that is in the west bowedark!

i never said that it can't be done, i said that 300 yards+ is just to far. to many things can happen.

also i did shoot 507 yards at antelope before, well only one shot and one kill! but thats not a 800 lb elk!as long as there is someone shooting those shots there will be wounded animals!

i am just trying to see how many just would do anything for that BIG BULL!
so lets keep talking!
Old 05-13-2005, 09:47 PM
PLB

Manboy,

You remind me of the moron on archerytalk.com that was yapping his big mouth about how no one should take shots over 40 yards with archery equipment.

I will second stubblejumper.
Old 05-13-2005, 10:10 PM
Boone & Crockett

I won't shoot over 300 yards unless the animal is already hit. However thats just me. I did enough long range target shooting to know that past 300-350 thing can get pretty iffy. A big magnum won't make up for an iffy hit. But thats a limit I sey for myself. Pertly because I don't shoot near as much as I used to and I have never seen an animal that I had to shoot at.
Old 05-13-2005, 10:19 PM

NEVER SAY NEVER. Most people should not take 300+ yd shots. But there are quite a few who can hit at those ranges, and shoot a rifle large enough to do the job once they reach the target. I have shot several cow elk at 400+yds and never lost one. I use a 300win mag 180gr barnes X bullets. I pack em w/ a little extra powder to.
Old 05-13-2005, 11:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

500m is about as far as I would take a shot. Good luck.
Old 05-13-2005, 11:40 PM

ORIGINAL: stubblejumper

I set my own range limitations based on my shooting ability, my equipment and the shooting conditions and I don't judge others based on my abilities.
AMEN!

ORIGINAL: manboy
1st i live in WYOMING
I grew up SW Wyo. and now live in Utah. I still hunt Elk/Mulies in Wyo and throughout the Rocky Mtns. I personally bought my 7mm RUM for the sole purpose of providing accuracy and knock down power for those long Rocky Mtn shots across canyons when getting closer just isn't possible. Of the 350+ bulls on my wall, 2 of 4 were shot at 400 yds. Both ran 100-200 yds and tipped over. The other two were stuck by arrows.

I'll be the first to say lower calibers have limits and owners need to recognize them, but 400 yds is very normal out here. You live in Wyoming, you should know this. Trust me, you will have almost everyone in the western states admit shots are a bit longer out here. We just hunt different terrain. Plus, I go check out every shot on game even if I know I missed! Yes, that flat sucks sometimes to cross over steep canyons, but I do it from 5 to how ever many yards! Figure I can see that far at <5 yds..

Finally, if a 380 class bull was at 400 yds across a canyon, a steep one, and you couldn't get closer, you wouldn't shoot? My friend, I think anyone here would.

All due respect, but I think the topic should be more along the lines.... what minimum caliber should be used for shooting 400 yards at Elk?? That's more realistic and an actual issue IMO.
Old 05-14-2005, 05:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

i don't car who u are or what rifle u shoot... a shot at an elk that is 300 yards or father shold never be taken...

u can call it ethics or what ever u would like but the simple fact is the chances are a lot better to not recover the game than to recover them!

in my book you will be called out for those kind of shots, and if u don't like it to bad! we all look for info here, i have learned alot. but using the weenie way out and blocking replies will not futher knowledge!

to all on this post, WHAT DO U THINK OF THE BLOCKING SYSTEM?

I make up my own mind to shoot or not to shoot. If everthing feels right I shoot. If something does not feel right? I will not shoot until it does.
Old 05-14-2005, 06:39 AM
Typical Buck

manboy,
i don't car who u are or what rifle u shoot... a shot at an elk that is 300 yards or father shold never be taken...
"to all on this post, WHAT DO U THINK OF THE BLOCKING SYSTEM?"

"also i did shoot 507 yards at antelope before"

manboy, I see you still find the need to criticize other more talented hunters on this site! We all know there are many calibers that can kill elk humanely above 300 yds. so it would be up to the hunter to decide if he is talented enough to kill that animal at that distance. By the way, what is the difference between the ethics of shooting at an elk over 300 yds. and an antelope at 507 yds.? In my book, ethics is ethics! That antelope is no less deserving of a humane kill than the elk! Your ethics don't hold water! Kind of like a cracked toilet! It lets the water out but still holds the sh*t!

As far as the blocking system on this site goes, I think it's great! Because of your lack of "sugar coating", in most peoples dictionary this would be termed, RESPECT! Also, while we're on the subject of RESPECT. I'm still waiting for an apology from you to Blake on the "determination" thread! I believe you know you owe it to him!
Old 05-14-2005, 08:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

i don't understand how someone can criticize others about there practices in hunting when the ones he criticizes are more skilled than him. i really don't know how far i would shoot with my 30-06 because i haven't been able to go out and shoot it at long distances yet. but i am over the summer. if the hunter knows he/she is able to shoot that far and know their rifle will hold up, i don't have the least bit of a problem.
Old 05-14-2005, 10:32 AM

Myself I like to git up close and personal. That's why I've swapped by suppository rifles for muzzle loaders. I have been to Williamsport, PA and watched the 1000 yard deer hunters have at it. It looked like they were having fun to me! I haven't blocked anybody, YET!

Quick Reply: 400 yard shots at elk????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.