Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Classifieds > Automotive
How fast do you travel on an atv in the woods >

How fast do you travel on an atv in the woods

Automotive No hunter is complete without a hunting rig. Find all your automotive needs here.

How fast do you travel on an atv in the woods

Old 08-16-2018, 12:55 PM
Spike

Default How fast do you travel on an atv in the woods

Hi. I'm having a discussion with my son about speed when riding an ATV in the woods and I thought we could get some help here. We're planning to a hunting trip and plan on driving a quad and a UTV.
Everything I see says it depends on the terrain and other conditions which makes sense. What I want to know is, generally, how fast do you travel when riding in the woods? an average speed is ok.
Old 08-16-2018, 01:07 PM
Boone & Crockett

I don't know what an average means? That would all depend on the terrain and the having a clear path. When I use my ATV to get to my stand I ride slow so as to make the least amount of noise as I can. I am not in a race. In addition since you are carrying either a firearm or bow and other gear, it would be foolish to test the limits of sensibility with your speed.
Old 08-16-2018, 01:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree, its NOT about an average speed its about traveling at a safe speed for what the terrain dictates
and a lot has to do with what your rriding goals are
back in my younger days when was all about pushing the limits, I drove things at speeds that were extremely fast, that most folks couldn't
but then again my machines were NOT stock, had high end suspensions on them and I was a honest racer, I raced MX bikes and other things for 30+ yrs
so, that being said, if I was running a Sport ATV about trying to push MY own skills and limits, the speeds might be 3 times higher or more than what someone just out of a joy ride might be
but I would also be wearing a lot more safety gear than most guys
heck, I seldom even see folks anymore even wearing helmets period, never mind other safety gear(boots gloves goggles, chest protection, and so on!

when I ride about the farm, I might be going 3 mph for most of what I do, but then on roads about it, maybe 35 mph, on a WORK ATV,
so a LOT comes down to the TYPE of ATV here, and the SKILLS and desires of the rider on it!

so its a VERY hard question to answer not knowing so many things
age of rider, skill of rider, desire of rider, type of terrain YOU ride on, and what YOU feel is safe or not
loaded question here to be honest
Old 08-16-2018, 02:59 PM
Super Moderator

This really is impossible to answer .

It depends. Are you on an established and marked trail and know where you're going? That's going to be allot faster than trying to find your way somewhere new.

Safety should be your primary consideration.

-Jake
Old 09-14-2018, 04:06 PM
Spike

Really depends on the terrain. ATVs aren't really designed for speed but for trail tracking
Old 10-25-2018, 04:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

I ride at 15-20 mph on established trails if allowable with my ATV or UTV and if it’s a open gravel road I might bump up to 30mph, I’m in no hurry and I like to site see, it’s also easy on the machine,easier on fuel and easy on this old guys body. I see know reason to go fishtailing down trails and kicking up dust.
Old 10-25-2018, 07:14 AM
Typical Buck

Go for a ride. It is all up to how you feel. On my sxs I go 35 or so on gravel or railroad grade.

in the woods slower. But if I can see and clear 15-25 is a guess
​.

really depends on what I am doing. I am rarely in low. Though some guys really wind out low.
Old 10-25-2018, 07:58 AM
Boone & Crockett

Why am I not surprised !
Old 10-25-2018, 09:16 AM
Fork Horn

How old is your son??
Old 10-25-2018, 11:24 AM
Typical Buck

We don't know much about his plan. But he said hunting trip. My guess is he want to know how long to get some place. They are traveling to remote camp or such.

I doubt he means to his blind, cause then wouldn't be a time issue so much.

question probably comes up on at forums. Some guys go on trips and put lots of miles on

going to my stand I don't worry about going slow. They hear you coming, and gun is strapped in. I usually just walk. But this year i.moved spots during season. Rode in as fast I pleased and walked last few hundred yards.

but again, my guess is he is trying to get some place. Best to go for ride and see
. I ride faster with sxs than atv. Dirt roads fast. Homemade trails that I know 7-teens. Old trails maybe about that. If I have visibility and good trails faster.

I only ride atv/snowmobile trails a few times a year. Spend lots of time making and looking for old trails. Can go for hours and only few miles, same when I ride sled.

go for test ride. But still won't know until you see the terrain . But people do 100 mile rides on 4 wheelers.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.