Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Classifieds > Automotive
car for hunting rig ? >

car for hunting rig ?

Community
Automotive No hunter is complete without a hunting rig. Find all your automotive needs here.

car for hunting rig ?

Old 02-26-2012, 10:00 AM
Spike

Default car for hunting rig ?

Just curious if anyone uses a car for their hunting rig. I was thinking with either a hitch and hitch basket, or hitch and small 4x6 utility trailer would be enough. i'm not talking about moving blinds and feeders and all that good stuff. just gear for the weekend and your trophies. Reason I ask is I'm tired of 14 MPG. WIth the amount I actually get to hunt, I'm thinking this will be more than enough set up for me. Don't own a 4 wheeler yet, but I figure I should also be able to tow one of those without any issue, because overall weight would still be less than 1,200
Old 02-27-2012, 11:57 AM
Super Moderator

There are some really nice... I don't know if you'd call them crossovers or what. But some really nice All Wheel Drive cars out there. Subaru is the first that comes to mind. If I was ever limited to one vehicle it would have to be something like that. Gas mileage should be good, yet it's built to be sporty. Something like this. Also, you may get more responses under the Deer hunting forum. This is a classifieds thread. Not many ppl come here and this is hunting related!
http://www.subaru.com/vehicles/outback/index.html
-Jake
Old 02-28-2012, 08:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Back a few years my wife had a Suzuki 4 wheel drive Sidekick. It was the cats axx for gas mileage, four wheelin and off roadin. Not a trailer puller at all though.
Old 02-28-2012, 10:06 AM
Typical Buck

i have a jeep patriot,
been great,
2wd models get +30 mpg
reg 4x4 versions get mid 20's
my 4x4 with off road package gets 20 mpg

drives like a car,
yet handles any bad weather just fine, and great for light off roading,
Old 02-28-2012, 10:12 AM
Spike

i've been thinking about the subaru outback, didn't even think about the patriot, and that is sad since i have a 4dr wrangler. might have to look into those.

terasec, have you done any modifications to your partiot? i know they don't make much for them, and if i get one i don't plan on doing many modifications as i am mostly past that phase in my life
Old 02-28-2012, 10:43 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by cntryislandboy
i've been thinking about the subaru outback, didn't even think about the patriot, and that is sad since i have a 4dr wrangler. might have to look into those.

terasec, have you done any modifications to your partiot? i know they don't make much for them, and if i get one i don't plan on doing many modifications as i am mostly past that phase in my life
while it is a jeep,
its not an offroader like wrangler/liberties
but good compromise for daily driver and light offroading
i havent done much to it,
electronics for CB and such,
roof rack, better tires,
couple companies offer 2" lifts for it,
i havent lifted it, i rely on it too much as a daily driver to lift it,
as for quality,
have 105k miles on it, a minor issues, starter/alternator replaced and ball joints,
total about $1000 in non routine repairs over 105k miles
other than pick ups its probably the only 4x4 out there in its price range(low $20's decently equipped)
Old 02-28-2012, 10:56 AM
Spike

thanks for the reply, was also just looking at the ford escape, i like it a little more due to the v6 option so it's able to tow a little bit more
Old 02-28-2012, 12:06 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by cntryislandboy
thanks for the reply, was also just looking at the ford escape, i like it a little more due to the v6 option so it's able to tow a little bit more
i was also looking at the escape,
price, and offroad package pushed me toward the patriot,
i also have friends/family at a jeep dealership,
Old 02-29-2012, 06:39 PM
Super Moderator

Nissan Xterra. If you're looking at the ford escape, look at this Nissan. I've heard a lot of good things about them. More so than the Ford. I'm a chevy guy personally. But these X terras seem to do well off road. And they are great for daily drivers as well.
http://www.nissanusa.com/xterra/?nex...ture.thumbnail.
-Jake
Old 01-16-2014, 09:05 AM
Fork Horn

I use a Toyota Prius... Holds my gear, if I get a deer I call my friend's with trucks...lol... I can not tow anything with the Prius such as a trailer with a 4wheeler. I am considering a 4x4..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.