Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Classifieds > Automotive
Truck Cap Recommendation >

Truck Cap Recommendation

Automotive No hunter is complete without a hunting rig. Find all your automotive needs here.

Truck Cap Recommendation

Old 10-12-2011, 12:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Truck Cap Recommendation

Guys, I want to put a cap on my 2010 Toyota Tundra Crew Max, been looking at the ARE Z-Series which I got two prices both prices was $1800, but one dealer said he would install a light and place carpet on ceiling of the cap.

The other caps I was looking at was the LEER 100XQ which is somewhat like the ARE Z-Series that goes for $1600 but the LEER dealer said the LEER 100XQ has many water leak problems with the windows, he told me to go with the 100R or the 100XR. His price on the 100R starts at $1100 without any lights or carpet, so I'm sure after all said and done the price will job up, the 100XR is $200 more.

I never dealt with LEER, I did have a ARE Hard Tonneau Cover on my last truck without issue.

Which ones have/had you guys have on your trucks?

Thanks,

Joe
Old 10-17-2011, 03:11 PM
JW
Super Moderator

I did a bit of research such as you and ended up using the A.R.E. Z series with shop windows on the side that have slide window in the middle. This is my second A.R.E cap or topper as I changed trucks. I have also added Yakima roof racks. I can get this truck with racks in a 7 ft garage door. The cap has a slide window in the front. Nice thing is that big slide window will fold in for easy cleaning. To the underside of the bolt attachment of the Yakima roof rack bar attachment (inside the cap)- I added a galvanized garage door handle to which I hang my coats. Very handy. All windows lock with one key. I also added the carpet cap liner.
The cap has been leak free since 2006!

Go online as I did find a 50 buck off coupon from my dealer which was in Milw. WI. Might find the same by you.

JW
Old 10-17-2011, 10:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

JW, thanks for the info, last Friday I went to my A.R.E. dealer and placed an order for the Z-Series cap with a $75 rebate, should be here in roughly 2 weeks
Old 10-18-2011, 07:21 AM
JW
Super Moderator

One other thing that came to mind. I saw many Leer caps with broken window handles. The A.R.E. has solid T handles. I need to take a pic as I have constructed a bed within the back fo my pickup as underneath I have 2 bed length slides so I can retrieve my equipment easily from underneath. There is a carpet flap that covers the opening. The bed itself is a 60/40 split that will slide out so I do not need to take the whole thing out if I need extra room. I can fit 3 dog kennels sideways on top. I have a Ford and when I close the tailgate I can lock it. I have a vault under that - a great place to store my firearms.

JW