Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Classifieds > Automotive
Headlight dimmer switch >

Headlight dimmer switch

Community
Automotive No hunter is complete without a hunting rig. Find all your automotive needs here.

Headlight dimmer switch

Old 10-27-2009, 05:06 PM
Fork Horn

Default Headlight dimmer switch

My wife and I were driving back from a little trip and this discussion came up. QUESTION

For what reason did they change the dimmer switch fron the floorboard up to the blinker switch? Seems as the floor dimmer switch is simpler and easier to use. Some of the young folks might not remember the floor dimmers. Just curious if anyone knows the reason.
Old 10-27-2009, 05:22 PM
Fork Horn

I sure wish they were still on the floor!
Old 10-27-2009, 05:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bowhuntr09
I sure wish they were still on the floor!
Same here. I loved the ones on the floor.
They likely changed them because too many people couldn't figure out how to use them on the floor.
Old 11-19-2009, 02:38 AM
Spike

wow and i thought i was getting old lol i never even heard of a floor dimmer before lol
Old 12-06-2009, 02:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by hawgdawg
My wife and I were driving back from a little trip and this discussion came up. QUESTION

For what reason did they change the dimmer switch fron the floorboard up to the blinker switch? Seems as the floor dimmer switch is simpler and easier to use. Some of the young folks might not remember the floor dimmers. Just curious if anyone knows the reason.

'cause people got them confused with the starter button........LOL
Old 12-06-2009, 04:34 AM
Spike

Foot dimmers were nice..I have actually installed them in a couple vehicles they were not stock in. The reason I could see was they got crudded up too easily being a safety issue... Dirt in switch, contacts corroded from moisture..ETC
Old 12-20-2009, 08:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have the floor dimmer switches in all my old Pontiacs,my 1969 GTO,'69 LeMans Hardtop and Convertible all have them and they all work just fine.They are located under the carpet and have a plastic grommet that they protrude up through for you to press your foot on to dim the bright lights on and off.To me they worked just fine and I have only had to replace 1 of them in over 30 years of driving my old Pontiacs.If you ask me we need to blame it on the Engineers out there that put it in the stupid handle on the steering wheel so now you have to take one hand off the steering wheel to dim the lights down or up and the blinker control is there,the wipers and the cruise control so now you have about 4-5 different things that can go out and have to be replaced at a very high cost to say the least.Same thing goes for the Idiot that decided to put the fuel pump inside the gas tank and most of you know how hard and expensive it is to replace that part! GRrrrrrrr

They make the new Cars and Trucks so you can't work on them yourself,everything has to be put on a machine and run through a series of test to see whats wrong and then sometimes it a hit and miss game just to find out what wrong!
Old 12-27-2009, 12:21 PM
Typical Buck

sorry folks but i had a few floor dimmers and living in a cold climate they were nothing but trouble ..they would freeze up ,rust up and were a pain in the but ..thank god that they UPGRADED ...also remember for some of us when the windshield wipers were connected up to the vaccum line [going up hill they would stop wipping] ..been there , done it , not going back ....
Old 01-16-2010, 05:56 AM
Fork Horn

1) ease of installation. No wires to run down to the floor. All the wiring can go in the same bundle ignition and turn signal.
2) more international, as most of the foreign cars have them on a lever on the steering column